Part-Time Sup/Loader

HAJ

Hey guys, just a quick question. Currently I'm about to hit my year with UPS (Less than a Month) and so far I love working for the company. I come in, do as I'm asked, and go home.

However, I am looking to expand my horizons. I'd like to shoot for an HR position down the road. I'm currently in College going for a Bachelors in Business Administrations. I'm working towards that thoroughly, but I'd like to be able to support myself a little more fully as well.

I'm 20 years old, and just recently certified I'd say about three/four months ago. So I've been parking trucks as well. What I want to know from personal experience is if I should just stay with my current Night position as a Smalls/Parker ( I wouldn't mind being a Driver either), or if I should go for a Part-Time Sup position. I've heard all the rumors and horror stories, but then again I'd also heard the rumors and horror stories of just being a Loader when you start out.

The pay-bump sounds nice, but I do realize that I won't have Union support, and no free Health. What would you guys recommend? If I do decide to go Part-Time Sup will it be hard for me to return to my regular sort? Would I keep my pay-bump? etc.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Once you go to supervision you're there for good. Unless of course you quit and reapply.

DriverMD

Im kinda in your position. Worked pre load through college. Got my 4 year degree, became a full time driver this past May. Im currently talking to my full time hr guy about security jobs within the company. He suggested that the main way you get into other full time jobs in ups is to pretty much go into driving. So thats what i did.

HBGPreloader

In the time I've been at UPS, I've watched dozens of part-timers transfer into supervisory positions, only to end up leaving the company for greener pastures.

Of the part-time supes I knew personally, only one managed to go full time - and, unfortunately, that appeared to be more of a EOE promotion than an actual earned promotion.

Our preload manager, supposedly, was promoted from part-time. But, based upon his knowledge and skill level, I find it difficult to believe that he was even an UPS employee before he was offered the job.

Beyond that, I know of only 2 part-time supes that were able to transfer back into the union as PC drivers.

So, IMHO, your best opportunity would be stay in the union and stay in school until you get your degree. Then look elsewhere for permanent work. Until then, if you want additional hours, pick up extra shifts. But, don't move into management.

Sparkey86

Your first paragraph says a lot. "I come in, do as I'm told and go home" if you like that arrangement then supervision will be vastly different. I'm not here to beat up on supervisors. They do just what you described but, going home is negotiable from day to day. You might go home then end up coming back in in an hr or so and pulling another 8 or 10 hours. Here's the good part. It's salary! So please think it through. I have a college education. I've been at UPS 29 years. I have had many chances to go in supervision but at the end of the day, I like going home.

watdaflock?

I'm currently in College going for a Bachelors in Business Administrations. I'm working towards that thoroughly, but I'd like to be able to support myself a little more fully as well.

Ask yourself is UPS a career or a job? Big difference.

If you I'd go the PT Sup route just because it will look great on a resume. Sounds like you are wanting the opportunity for advancement, so leave the Union and go management.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm really not trying to start anything but every HR person I have ever seen was either a minority or female. So if you're a white male HR might be hard to crack into.

J

jibbs

I'm really not trying to start anything but every HR person I have ever seen was either a minority or female. So if you're a white male HR might be hard to crack into.

Just to throw this out there, the HR guy that ran the orientation and did my initial interview was a fat white guy no older than 25-28. He really looked fresh out of high school, though...

HAJ

Thanks for the information everyone! I'll use it to my advantage. For now I plan on staying with the sort, and letting my pay go up while I continue to pursue my degree. I figure I put in an extra hour or so and that should be enough. Just got to be patient. Once I'm in my last year of schooling I'll then start to branch out, but I'm in a pretty comfortable position at the moment. As for HR, I'm actually Hispanic, and speak English and Spanish both fluently. The guy who interviewed me was male and looked about 28 years old too. All in all, I'm looking at UPS as a Career option. There's plenty of different paths, and like most, if anything I can fall back on a Driver position and wait my turn.

specter208

Thanks for the information everyone! I'll use it to my advantage. For now I plan on staying with the sort, and letting my pay go up while I continue to pursue my degree. I figure I put in an extra hour or so and that should be enough. Just got to be patient. Once I'm in my last year of schooling I'll then start to branch out, but I'm in a pretty comfortable position at the moment. As for HR, I'm actually Hispanic, and speak English and Spanish both fluently. The guy who interviewed me was male and looked about 28 years old too. All in all, I'm looking at UPS as a Career option. There's plenty of different paths, and like most, if anything I can fall back on a Driver position and wait my turn.
You'll make more as driver in package or feeders than as management.