part time sup making us hub bag smalls instead of fine sorting

mike42064

Filed a grievance for my manager trying to improve his numbers and avoid paying us over time by having us hub bag smalls instead of location specific sorting like we usually do, any advice on this would be appreciated. He's done it two days in a row and I've already given him one grievance with more to come because he's transferring our work to a bigger hub instead of paying us to do it.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
Where is the contract violation here? Isn't the work being forwarded by union employees to union employees? Is the 3.5 hr guarantee being honored?

BLACKBALLED

Filed a grievance for my manager trying to improve his numbers and avoid paying us over time by having us hub bag smalls instead of location specific sorting like we usually do, any advice on this would be appreciated. He's done it two days in a row and I've already given him one grievance with more to come because he's transferring our work to a bigger hub instead of paying us to do it.
Are you sure it is not because there are pull times that have to be met and he is trying to prevent the other center from being negatively impacted, you have to remember if your sort is running late it will have an impact on all of the other sorts and when the time comes to get the drivers out on time in the morning the trailers may be delayed because of it, dont assume they are trying to give work to other centers understand the customers have to have the packages they paid for on time, if not the company pays and the only reason you have a job as well as all upsers is because of the customer.

mike42064

filed under work assignment, it says our work can't be transferred to another local, and was wondering if i can use the subcontracting article because it states that our work can't be transferred in part or whole to another local or company for the sole purpose of avoiding overtime pay. and i wouldnt file if they only did it so it wouldn't interrupt service, but the trailers they get loaded into do not pull until well after the sort is over. I'm not "nit picking" I'm protecting our jobs. The way he's doing it is once they get to the hub they break down the bags again and do the same location specific sorting that we would have done.

mike42064

article 3 section 5 describes "local unions" so I'm interpreting it as a violation to send our work to another local for any reason other then service interruption

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
An hours drive time could still be covered by the same local, ask your shop steward if the other hub is within the same jurisdiction.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
In that case you may have a legit grievance but the outcome of this grievance will not be an open and shut case, be prepared for a drawn out debate.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
Prior to the two grievances that you have filed, has any attempt to resolve this concern been made "in house"?

mike42064

yes I've held him at bay when i stopped them from doing it a couple years ago but he's succumbing to the pressure from upper management to increase his production numbers.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
I have been on both sides of the grievance table, I'm a former shop steward and I currently run a Preload. There is constant pressure from above no question but most supervisors and managers are decent people, we are bound by they same rules of "work as directed" but there is no option to grieve. Odds are your manager knows what needs to be done but has been directed otherwise. Be open minded when it comes to modern management we "sell our souls" to make a living just as a service provider sells his body to make a living. A bad decision doesn't necessarily mean a bad person or manager.

mike42064

agreed, it's never personal. I'm looking after my peoples jobs and constantly trying to be fair and see things from both sides. i understand he needs to hit his numbers but the bar has been raised so high it's unrealistic to do on a consistent basis. But it's his job to try and do it the right way in accordance to the contract that both sides signed off on. thanks for your advice.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Are you ****ing serious right now? THIS is what you want to waste people's time with? Seems to me you are looking for something to grieve.

He's doing it to ensure the service of the packages. A snowball will have a better chance passing through hell than you do convincing someone otherwise. Please, don't waste everyone's time with a petty grievance that you won't win. There are much worse things that are happening around you that need more attention than this....