part time sup still driving

rp3

At my center Morning supervisor has been driving. We are no longer busy with peak but the sup is still driving? So why am I waiting in line to be a driver if this sup can just jump right in. They say he just helping out can anybody tell me whats the deal.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Circa 2009 (well after the contract was passed in 2007 - how does this happen?) some locals/regions (including mine) struck an agreement with UPS recognizing irregular volumes continued through the second/third week of January, thus enabling the company to continue to use seasonal employees. The new contracts will expand this next year.

PT Car Washer

Daily fluctuation in volume does not mean the company has to hire another FT driver. Are you already driver qualified? Saturday Air Driver or Air Exception Driver? If not then I think the company can exhaust all other means. Does not mean the PT sup will get a FT job ahead of you. What I tell everyone that wants to drive FT. Go get qualified by driving Saturday Air first.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Daily fluctuation in volume does not mean the company has to hire another FT driver. Are you already driver qualified? Saturday Air Driver or Air Exception Driver? If not then I think the company can exhaust all other means. Does not mean the PT sup will get a FT job ahead of you. What I tell everyone that wants to drive FT. Go get qualified by driving Saturday Air first.
Would you do Saturday Air Driver over Cover driver? P/T cover driver gets 85% top rate here (red circled after qualifying), and Saturday air starts at quite a bit less.

Ouch

Sorry pt carwasher I misread his post. I was thinking he put he drove during peak. You can still file on it. Not being qualified means you probably will not get qualified. You could still file for a contract violation.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
At my center Morning supervisor has been driving. We are no longer busy with peak but the sup is still driving? So why am I waiting in line to be a driver if this sup can just jump right in. They say he just helping out can anybody tell me whats the deal.

Most locals, including mine, signed into agreements with the company to extend the peak season free period a couple of weeks into January.
This mirrors the language in the Master and Supplements already ratified.
Therefore the part time supervisor is probably still being classified as a seasonal driver.
Contact your local to be sure he has paid dues while doing our work.

rp3

Thanks for the advice im not qualified to drive. But that's not by my choice sups keep saying there not sending anybody to get qualified as of no need. And senior drivers in my center are on top of it so they tell me as of last night.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If their are no need for drivers why is the sup driving? File on it.
Agreed, they are skirting around hiring by claiming seasonal. File on it saying you would be happy to do the work and are willing to get qualified but the company will not allow it because they are getting the Teamster work subsidized for free by management.

PT Car Washer

We also are still using PT sups as seasonal. Our Twi. sort was working double shifters tonight. Also had a tour of potential new hires go through. Still working all the seasonal people that actually worked and showed up. Package car volume while high is not crazy.