Part-time supervisor battling with Integrity in the unload.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
sure it does, how else would the package cars exit the building? But the huge clouds of diesel fumes....cannot be healthy to breathe in everyday.

I wouldn't think so either but ​overhead doors provide ventilation.

I use to hate it in the winter on Monday morning preload when they would crank up all the tractors stored inside over the weekend.

quamba 638

To all,

For discussion:

A newly promoted idealistic unload part-time supervisor desires to fight with Integrity in his operation.

He recognizes that this is a battle he will probably not win but he has decided to stand by his integrity even if it costs him his job.

He has decided that to establish credibility in his area he must make safety and package handling the priorities respectively.

Egress and package care are going to be the elements that he addresses first because he has identified these as the elements that are most chronically violated and can be deemed least best.

His plan will unfold as follows:

He will PCM his entire operation and he will inform them of his plan and follow up with instructing them as to what is expected of them by UPS training in regards to egress and package handling compliance.

He fully intends to apply progressive discipline to each of his unloaders that fail to take him seriously and fail to do what is expected of them.

Well, as you probably know, as soon as the PCM is over and the sort begins it isn't 5 minutes before he sees violations.

It is actually so bad that every one of his unloaders in his area are in violation of both elements chronically throughout the evening.

He wants to immediately address this issue and his full-time sup is not real supportive and a bit angry about the lack of flow coming from the unload but he proceeds to get the shop steward to address the issue anyway.

He goes door to door with the shop steward and reviews the situation with each unloader and gives them a courtesy heads up that the next infraction will have to be a verbal warning of more significant discipline and that this conversation will be document in their file.

His operation was a mess, the flow was horrible, everyone was mad, (his unloaders, the shop steward, his full-time sup and the preload manager) and it only gets worse.

What do you think happens next?

Sincerely,
I

The PT supervisors quits on his own, joins the auditing company that does the walk-throughs at UPS, because that's what he's passionate about.

Then he singlehandedly red flags/reports all wrong doing, causing our insurance premiums to go through the roof, leaving UPS with no choice
but to offer us a 30/60/90 insurance package.

I knew it.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
sure it does, how else would the package cars exit the building? But the huge clouds of diesel fumes....cannot be healthy to breathe in everyday.

Here ventilation systems were required, but then my fellow Teamsters started electing those conservative, business friendly politicians some of you are so passionate about, and now simply opening the overhead doors is considered sufficient. I'm told our ventilation system works better than most other buildings', but it's despairing & not being fixed. When I go home & blow my nose, it's dark black (you're welcome for the visual).

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Here ventilation systems were required, but then my fellow Teamsters started electing those conservative, business friendly politicians some of you are so passionate about, and now simply opening the overhead doors is considered sufficient. I'm told our ventilation system works better than most other buildings', but it's despairing & not being fixed. When I go home & blow my nose, it's dark black (you're welcome for the visual).
Same thing happens to me everyday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're right---breathing these fumes over an extended period of time can be very unhealthy---this is why we either do cold pretrips or pretrip outside of the building and why all of the overhead doors are opened when it is time for the drivers to leave.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You're right---breathing these fumes over an extended period of time can be very unhealthy---this is why we either do cold pretrips or pretrip outside of the building and why all of the overhead doors are opened when it is time for the drivers to leave.
and I'm sure that helps but like Bagels said, we still get that black soot inside our noses everyday.