Part Time Supervisor Questions

mercury7

You have no idea of the bs that goes along with being management. If you're a good brown noser and bs'er then you'll fit right in. If you have any conscience or an sense of integrity it's going to bother you.

J

jibbs

And thats exactly what I don't want to be doing for the rest of my life. So thank you for your answer kind sir! :D

Funny, if I remember correctly you ain't even know it is either younger than you or the same age.

If anything, you're more of a wash-out than he is, regardless of time spent on the job.

(See what assumptions do? They just don't provide anything constructive, and as such this post is definitely open for deletion.)

How are you going to be a pter the rest of your life by being a pter? Only you make that choice, not the job.

He's assuming you're a 30-year PTer at UPS, dude, that's how he came to that conclusion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All of you are telling me not do it, but none of you have answered one of my main questions.
Try posting in the Partners forum if you want serious answers.
To the OP-----stay in school and pursue the promotion. UPS supervisor will look very good on your resume.

There is a reason that they asked you, with only 4 months experience, if you were interested in becoming a PT sup.

I thought my answer was fairly serious (and spot on).

RolloTony Brown Town

The life of a pt sup isn't an easy one. If you've been working at ups for only 4 months and they want you to be a supervisor then you're probably a pretty good hourly who hustles. I'd reconmend waiting until you've been in the union for a year. If you still want to be a sup and feel the same way about staying at ups only until you've graduated college then I say go for it.

As a pt supervisor, it's a tough thankless job but it will teach you a lot and looks very nice on the resume. I've been with ups for 8 years. 5 of those as a pt supervisor.

gingerkat

Hoax, in all honesty here is my problem with taking certain posts away and starting a new thread somewhere else. It makes things very hard to follow. Sure there might be crap in between, but most adults know how to moderate with own eyes.

If you want to start a new thread in which you feel is appropriate, why not make a link or highlight that particular post in which a new idea has spawned and say where you're putting it? This gives the original and new thread a chance to be discussed.

There is a thread that I wanted to respond to, but can't make heads or tails of it. If I really want to respond to something and there is crap in between (you're correct by saying I'm no angel) I gloss over and go to my point. Now with the plethora of items in the "tool box" people just say how they feel in that way.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax, in all honesty here is my problem with taking certain posts away and starting a new thread somewhere else. It makes things very hard to follow. Sure there might be crap in between, but most adults know how to moderate with own eyes.

If you want to start a new thread in which you feel is appropriate, why not make a link or highlight that particular post in which a new idea has spawned and say where you're putting it? This gives the original and new thread a chance to be discussed.

There is a thread that I wanted to respond to, but can't make heads or tails of it. If I really want to respond to something and there is crap in between (you're correct by saying I'm no angel) I gloss over and go to my point. Now with the plethora of items in the "tool box" people just say how they feel in that way.
It was your idea ... make up your mind. Jeeeezzz!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The OP started a thread over in the UPS Partners forum where he seems to be getting a few sincere answers to his question.

This thread was an absolute joke anyway.

RalNCUpser

Listen guys I have read a lot of the comments left on here about being PT Sup. Let me share some info that i have obtain from doing research in my hub. I had co-worker that worked Metro-unload with me and then he became a sup. I am in smalls now and I have asked every sup I cam across even the full timers about being a sup, plus I spoke with my Twilight Hub Manager. This is what they all told me.
Being a sup is not for everyone, it is a very hard job and you are no longer protected by the union. Once really bad decision could cost you your job. Being a sup you do get a raise in pay and 27.50 hours every week. Being a sup you will get promoted faster that hourly employees. As a sup you have to pay for your own insurance and UPS will become your life. Having UPS sup experience on your resume is very good, just like having military experience on your background will open doors for you. You cannot listen to everything everyone says, because some speak from anger, negativity and bad experience they have had with UPS, which might be their own fault. UPS is a production based company and you have to make sure your team meets production. We offer a service to customers, if your package is not delivered on time get upset right. I am a manager trainee, I am hesitant to become a sup, but I know that as long as I do my job to the best of my ability and i push my team to do their best, and REWARD them when they do. I will not get fired or get any disciplinary actions. Being a sup is not a trap, however once salaried you cannot go back to being hourly. Being a sup is what you make it. Do your job and don't have ass it and you will be fine.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Listen guys I have read a lot of the comments left on here about being PT Sup. Let me share some info that i have obtain from doing research in my hub. I had co-worker that worked Metro-unload with me and then he became a sup. I am in smalls now and I have asked every sup I cam across even the full timers about being a sup, plus I spoke with my Twilight Hub Manager. This is what they all told me.
Being a sup is not for everyone, it is a very hard job and you are no longer protected by the union. Once really bad decision could cost you your job. Being a sup you do get a raise in pay and 27.50 hours every week. Being a sup you will get promoted faster that hourly employees. As a sup you have to pay for your own insurance and UPS will become your life. Having UPS sup experience on your resume is very good, just like having military experience on your background will open doors for you. You cannot listen to everything everyone says, because some speak from anger, negativity and bad experience they have had with UPS, which might be their own fault. UPS is a production based company and you have to make sure your team meets production. We offer a service to customers, if your package is not delivered on time get upset right. I am a manager trainee, I am hesitant to become a sup, but I know that as long as I do my job to the best of my ability and i push my team to do their best, and REWARD them when they do. I will not get fired or get any disciplinary actions. Being a sup is not a trap, however once salaried you cannot go back to being hourly. Being a sup is what you make it. Do your job and don't have ass it and you will be fine.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm not all that familiar with the local sort....what is a manager trainee in smalls?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Oh my lord, you drank the kool-aid.... good luck.