Part time supervisor test results

Upser1983

Hello all, I'm new to the forums. My full time sup recommended me to be a part time sup after him over hearing me mention to a co-worker that I want to move up in the company. He sat me down and explained to me the pros and cons, which was everything I've read on here about the position, so no need to tell me what I already know. Please leave pitty parties and negativity about my career choice opinions to yourself. He said I'm an excellent worker and any facility would be lucky to have me as their sup, and that my military background is a plus. Anyway, I took the mapp test Friday morning at home, piece of cake. Any of you guys know how long it takes for my sup to receive the email with my test results? Also, Any idea how long it takes to actually be promoted after passing the test? And how do I figure out what facility I will be transferring to? For me, this is the best decision for myself and my family. I'm more less trying to get a basic idea of time frame. I'll be tripling my salary, and for my family and i, it's the best move I could make

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
PNqMrA.gif

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was 8 years Air Force. There are some here that don't think that the AF is a "real" part of the military.

Being a veteran got me hired and will help you move up the managerial ladder.

Upser1983

I was 8 years Air Force. There are some here that don't think that the AF is a "real" part of the military.

Being a veteran got me hired and will help you move up the managerial ladder.
My shop steward is a retired career marine. He said the same thing, along with he likes having me there, that being in the military definitely gives discipline along with respect. By the way, any part of the military is "real" in my books. If you are willing to put your life on the line for your country, any branch of the service is respectable. I served my 3 years plus my active duty after release. I went in fresh out of high school at 17 years old. Granted, jumping out of planes and being trained to kill people isn't really a benefit to the ups career lol, the discipline and respect goes a long way

Upser1983

You should meet my boss. I think the chimp would out score him.
Lol I can only imagine. You should have met my old boss that retired. He ran our location with 20 guys as if it was military. Also disrespectful, yelled, condescending, and over all just a miserable drunk. I went in as a temp with this guy as my boss. Kept my mouth shut, did my job, stayed late when I could, and in my benefit he retired 3 months after I was hired permenant. If that guy stayed, I would have quit by now

El Correcto

god is dead
Also, Any idea how long it takes to actually be promoted after passing the test?
Not long I'd imagine, they need part time sups badly in my building we get a new one every week or two. As for a transfer I doubt you will be going to a new building. I'd get out of management asap if offered the choice of outside driver to full time management. Go driving....

Upser1983

Not long I'd imagine, they need part time sups badly in my building we get a new one every week or two. As for a transfer I doubt you will be going to a new building. I'd get out of management asap if offered the choice of outside driver to full time management. Go driving....
Driving is an option I wouldn't be opposed to. As much as the forums stress how bad being a supervisor is, my ultimate goal is to climb the ladder as high and as fast as I can. I'm ambitious. The other part about your answer, #1 my site is Tuesday to Friday 3 hour guarantee. So not much money. We have 1 part time and 1 full time sup for our place. The part time sup said he's leaving soon and he'd train me if I pass the test, but being Tuesday through Friday, would I still get 27.5 hours guaranteed? That's why I'm asking about transfer. I'm trying to go where the money and opportunity for advancement is for my family you know

Upser1983

Hmm I'm not sure about a facility so small.
I would study up on being a Sith apprentice.

This should help.
Rule of Two
Lol I hear ya. That's the dilemma I'm facing. I can take his place but the 4 day work week isn't enough. And if I waited for a spot to open in another facility, who knows how long I'd be waiting around for the promotion. I don't like stating an exact location, but it's an airport and we get 1 plane a day. The hours just aren't there. I want a new facility. If your familiar with upstate ny, you probably know what facility lol

El Correcto

god is dead
Lol I hear ya. That's the dilemma I'm facing. I can take his place but the 4 day work week isn't enough. And if I waited for a spot to open in another facility, who knows how long I'd be waiting around for the promotion. I don't like stating an exact location, but it's an airport and we get 1 plane a day. The hours just aren't there. I want a new facility. If your familiar with upstate ny, you probably know what facility lol
I think best bet would be to talk to your supervisor let him know your concerns. You sound like a good enough worker and person they might be willing to work with you on certain things. Your way above he current hiring standard of ups it'd be a shame to lose that for them.

trickpony1

Here's a suggestion from someone who wishes he had done it.......

Is there anyway you stay in the Reserves for 20+ years to get a retirement from the govt?

My Reserve CO knew I would be getting a degree and wanted me to go to OCS and get a 1LT. I chose not to.

Big mistake.