Part Time Supervisors Unionized?

JonFrum

Many UPS part-time Supervisors are Supervisors in name only. They don't have real managerial decision-making authority.

If these Supervisors studied the Law they would see that many of them don't really qualify as Supervisors.

If they documented all the days they did bargaining unit work in violation of the Contract, they could make a good case for their right to unionize.

upser0680

what laws are you talking about? can you lead me in the right direction? im tired of getting screwed for being a PT Supervisor. worse decison of my ups career.

UPSSOCKS

what laws are you talking about? can you lead me in the right direction? im tired of getting screwed for being a PT Supervisor. worse decison of my ups career.

That's unfortunate it's never too late to start over. I'm sure there are a ton of part time jobs out there that pay more than $13.00 an hour, offer a 401k, tuition assistance, and have benefits available to you in exchange for part time hours.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Many UPS part-time Supervisors are Supervisors in name only. They don't have real managerial decision-making authority.

If these Supervisors studied the Law they would see that many of them don't really qualify as Supervisors.

If they documented all the days they did bargaining unit work in violation of the Contract, they could make a good case for their right to unionize.

According to Sober, this applies to everyone not in the Corporate office or in IE.

Six Sides

The laws that regulate this are in the FLSA (Fair Labor Standers Act). This act regulates and gives classification guide lines in how employees are classified, exempt or nonexempt (salary or hourly). You will find your answers within this act. Corporate finance at times likes to play both sides of the exempt & nonexempt rules.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

They have the right now, just like everyone else. They just need to organize like any other group of non-union workers. I think you are confusing the OT exemption for salaried exempt employees.

Integrity

Binge Poster

JonFrum

Learn all you can on the National Labor Relations Board website:
http://www.nlrb.gov/

Download their 447 page manual AN OUTLINE OF LAW AND PROCEDURE IN REPRESENTATION CASES and read the section on Supervisors 17-500 . . .

17-500 Supervisors
Supervisory status under the Act depends on whether an individual possesses authority to act in the interest of the employer in the matters and in the manner specified in Section 2(11) of the Act, which defines the term “supervisor” as:

The term “supervisor” means any individual having authority, in the interest of the employer, to hire, transfer, suspend, lay off, recall, promote, discharge, assign, reward, or discipline other employees, or responsibly to direct them, or to adjust their grievances, or effectively to recommend such action, if in connection with the foregoing the exercise of such authority is not of a merely routine or clerical nature, but requires the use of independent judgment.

In discussing the above statutory definition, the Sixth Circuit declared that Section 2(11) is to be interpreted in the disjunctive and that “the possession of any one of the authorities listed in [that section] places the employee invested with this authority in the supervisory class.”

It is axiomatic, of course, that the existence of the power determines whether an individual is an employee or a supervisor, but the real task which confronts the Board is the difficult one of finding whether the supervisory power in fact exists, and this can only be ascertained as a result of a painstaking analysis of the facts in each case.

Supervisory issues are among the most common in representation cases, and the Board volumes are replete with findings of both supervisory and nonsupervisory status in a veritable myriad of factual situations, sometimes simple but more often complex. A number of factors are considered in resolving supervisory issues. These, of course, include the statutory requirements described above. The problem, however, lies mainly in the application of these factors in order to ascertain from the relevant facts and circumstances whether or not the terms of the statutory definition are met. It is an individual’s duties not job title that determines status. . . .etc. . . .

This Browncafe thread may interest you as well. . . .
http://www.browncafe.com/community/...-collar-union-in-information-services.321186/

brownone

Ya it sucks. I already called the NLRB. Maybe I will try a labor lawyer and get his opinion. Thanks for the help fellas.

Did you not understand when you took the part time supervisor job you were leaving the union? If you did not understand, I am curious how you got in the mapp pool. If you did understand, you made an adult decision and need to live with it. We all have choices in life and you made one. If you feel it was the wrong one I feel bad for you, but then I would suggest you move on with your life to what makes you happy.

upser0680

Did you not understand when you took the part time supervisor job you were leaving the union? If you did not understand, I am curious how you got in the mapp pool. If you did understand, you made an adult decision and need to live with it. We all have choices in life and you made one. If you feel it was the wrong one I feel bad for you, but then I would suggest you move on with your life to what makes you happy.

Yes I did understand I was leaving the union. I was 19 when I made the decision to go management, and yes I know I made an adult decision. I also know that I am a hard worker and don't need the union to protect my job for me. What I didn't know when I was 19 is that hard work isn't what pays off and all the promises that were made when I was promoted were false. I was still brain washed as you must still be. Now I have learned from the mistake I have made. That's what life is, make choices whether right or wrong, but learn from the choices that were wrong.

Part time supervisors need a degree to go driving.... Union members need a DWI to go driving.

P.S. I didn't know your blackberry got good reception from underneath your boss's desk.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Part time supervisors need a degree to go driving.... Union members need a DWI to go driving.

Did you really want to say this?

BTW, junior, there a lot more union members with degrees than you may think. I have my Bachelor's and 9 hours toward a Master's but make more with a much stronger pension and benefit package than if I were to have used my degree.

upser0680

Did you really want to say this?

BTW, junior, there a lot more union members with degrees than you may think. I have my Bachelor's and 9 hours toward a Master's but make more with a much stronger pension and benefit package than if I were to have used my degree.

I am not taking away from union members, or putting myself above them. I put myself above noone, not even the people I supervise right now. I treat everyone who works for me with as much respect if not more then the managers who treat myself and all other PT supervisors like dogs. That comment was made for the ridiculous rules set in place by upper management/corporate. Wasn't made to insult union members. These days wish I was one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am not taking away from union members, or putting myself above them. I put myself above noone, not even the people I supervise right now. I treat everyone who works for me with as much respect if not more then the managers who treat myself and all other PT supervisors like dogs. That comment was made for the ridiculous rules set in place by upper management/corporate. Wasn't made to insult union members. These days wish I was one.

That's not the way that I read and I am sure you will catch a ton of grief from the Joe Unions who will read this today.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That's not the way that I read and I am sure you will catch a ton of grief from the Joe Unions who will read this today.

if that comment was coming from the direction of someone of any significance or importance, maybe. ;) An awkward, voice creaking pimple nose PT supervisor saying that? meh, jealously.