Part Time Supervisors Unionized?

brownone

Yes I did understand I was leaving the union. I was 19 when I made the decision to go management, and yes I know I made an adult decision. I also know that I am a hard worker and don't need the union to protect my job for me. What I didn't know when I was 19 is that hard work isn't what pays off and all the promises that were made when I was promoted were false. I was still brain washed as you must still be. Now I have learned from the mistake I have made. That's what life is, make choices whether right or wrong, but learn from the choices that were wrong.

Part time supervisors need a degree to go driving.... Union members need a DWI to go driving.

P.S. I didn't know your blackberry got good reception from underneath your boss's desk.

If your goal at UPS was to drive, then you should have stayed in the Union and let your seniority get you on the road. If you thought that UPS promoted you, so we could speed up your path to driving, you were wrong.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I am not taking away from union members, or putting myself above them. I put myself above noone, not even the people I supervise right now. I treat everyone who works for me with as much respect if not more then the managers who treat myself and all other PT supervisors like dogs. That comment was made for the ridiculous rules set in place by upper management/corporate. Wasn't made to insult union members. These days wish I was one.
upser0680,

Every employee is entitled to be treated with dignity and respect.

Yes, even part-time supervisors.

If what you say is true about the way you are being treated this is wrong and must not be accepted.

Be respectful in every way you challenge wrong treatment from your superiors.

When handling conflict, document everything that is said and by whom.

Document witnesses present. Invite others who are involved or simpathetic to your cause to be present when confronting wrong treatment.

Keep a notebook with you to journal your issues as they happen.

Remember always keep a cool head.

UPS has an Open Door Policy. Find out who in Atlanta is in charge of your operation or job area and get this persons e-mail address ASAP.

Always be prepared to go to Atlanta.

Always be prepared for retaliation.

Don't waste your time with the Help-Line it is just another level of bureaucracy to make you give up your fight.

Sincerely,
I

PS It is my belief that the main reason the part-time supervisors are called supervisors is so that they cannot unionize.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The open door policy is Bull smile*. The notebook is better.
steward71,

Can you please explain why you feel this way about the Open Door Policy?

I would understand you feeling this way about the UPS Help Line but I am confused as to your feelings about the Open Door Policy?

The Open Door Policy basically states you can go to any management level that you feel comfortable, when seeking resolutions to our concerns or issues.

Sincerely,
I

DEMISER86

I dont see why management cant unionize, look at the longshoremens union (ILWU) they have a foremans union (BOSSES basically managment in a way) and their own local after you have put in your time that is

Last edited:

BLACKBALLED

Firts there is no open door policy! It is a smoke screen to make Management look like they respect you! 2nd they will tell you anything to get you to be PT Supervisor because they know it is a job and noone wants it. I made the mistake and would tell anyone to never ever go in to managment! Remember UPS is 90% B.S. and 10% Oppty. Clock in do your job and clock out and go home, dont let the downtalk get you because thats what they hope for.

Upser08

What a ridiculous statement! Supervisors have to unfortunately do union employee work, because union employees aren't capable of doing what they are supposed to do.

brownedout

What a ridiculous statement! Supervisors have to unfortunately do union employee work, because union employees aren't capable of doing what they are supposed to do.
Upser08, upssalesguy; upssalesguy, Upser08. You two run along and play nice. (Continue your relentless bashing of the workforce) 08 where you been? Long time no post. You still have a job? Then the union workers can't be that bad.

iowa boy

And I have seen the opposite. 90% of the part-time management in my building went into management because they couldn't handle the union work.

UPS Lifer

Firts there is no open door policy! It is a smoke screen to make Management look like they respect you! 2nd they will tell you anything to get you to be PT Supervisor because they know it is a job and noone wants it. I made the mistake and would tell anyone to never ever go in to managment! Remember UPS is 90% B.S. and 10% Oppty. Clock in do your job and clock out and go home, dont let the downtalk get you because thats what they hope for.

Coming from California, I know a couple of things about supervisors (FT PT) and lawsuits as well as the Open Door Policy. The policy was developed to minimize the company's exposure to lawsuits. It is designed to protect the company and it helps the company to develop a strategy if the concern is not addressed to the claimants satisfaction and the claimant decides to take further action. The same process goes for a meeting with an HR representative.

Don't misunderstand my explanation as being negative against the company or against management. This is just a plain fact. ...AND it does not mean that the Open Door Policy is a bad thing either. It is more of a caveat; and the more informed you are the better decisions you should make.

UPS Lifer

As for telling a candidate anything to get you to be a PT supervisor, I fall back on common sense. A manager that lies to a candidate is going to have more attitude and turnover problems than not hiring anyone at all. Someone like that is probably already gone or has one foot out the door. If it is a job that no one wants, it boils down specifically to the immediate management team. Again, they won't be around long if they can't get people to work with them.

I say this. Before you go into any job do some research. Talk to some people you trust already doing the job. Or better yet, just observe how the management team behaves and their attitude toward their job. If they say they are happy with their decision, ask why. If they say they are unhappy with their decision, ask why. Then ask yourself if you think you can handle the job. No one can sell you on something that you weren't considering buying in the first place. Another item to consider is what, if any, does the job offer you? Will it lead to what you want to do in your overall career. If it does not align with that, then it may not be the job for you.

And for all stop picking on the union workers, if they don't work, I don't eat. Because pick-ups, loading, sorting and deliveries generate revenue. And I like being feed. On the other hand, stop picking on the management team, they need someone around to be the leaders and make the necessary decisions to keep the company moving forward. We all are in this boat together, so lets just sail on.... Don't let a few bad apples ruin what could be a delicious apple pie. Btw, I like apple pie.

Dynomite

And I have seen the opposite. 90% of the part-time management in my building went into management because they couldn't handle the union work.

Way to make up a stupid statistic. I'd say most guys go into management because its more money in the short term. I'm 21 been with UPS for 3 1/2 years, and since I've transfered a couple times I'm on the bottom of the list for jobs. So I was considering going into management just for a quick bump in pay. Since driving is nearly impossible for me to get I've already chose to go a different career path after school.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Way to make up a stupid statistic. I'd say most guys go into management because its more money in the short term. I'm 21 been with UPS for 3 1/2 years, and since I've transfered a couple times I'm on the bottom of the list for jobs. So I was considering going into management just for a quick bump in pay. Since driving is nearly impossible for me to get I've already chose to go a different career path after school.

If you go back ans look at Iowa's post, it was in response to an equally stupid post.
It was a tit-for-tat response.