part time sups becoming union

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Maybe you might turn a blind eye to sups working where you are, but it doesn't mean that everyone does! And here in Chicago we file more sups working grievances then any other. Ups here is just starting to figure out that we will not give up on this and the sups working has been dramatically decreased! We are down to a handful of grievances a week from dozens per week in my building alone.

Nothing is easy and it does take time but it can be done with a little hard work and a no non sense approach.

You need enough people on the same page to make it happen. One man with a steak knife is not going to slay the dragon.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe you might turn a blind eye to sups working where you are, but it doesn't mean that everyone does! And here in Chicago we file more sups working grievances then any other. Ups here is just starting to figure out that we will not give up on this and the sups working has been dramatically decreased! We are down to a handful of grievances a week from dozens per week in my building alone.

Nothing is easy and it does take time but it can be done with a little hard work and a no non sense approach.

You need to work on your sense of humor.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You need enough people on the same page to make it happen. One man with a steak knife is not going to slay the dragon.
But the more people see the one man attempting to slay the dragon alone the more people will get involved. It has taken me about 3 years.

I was walking out of the building one night and came up to a sup yelling at an employee using profanity and talking down to the employee. So i stopped and asked her to talk to the employee like she would expect to be talked to by him.

She told me to go **** myself! She then walked in to a trailer and started unloading. I asked her what her name was and she again told me to go **** myself. So i called her toots and asked her why she was doing my job. She was offended that i called her toots. I told her i was offended that she was not wearing her i.d. and doing my job.

I asked to stop working again as i stood in her way from unloading bulk out of the trailer. She pushed me out of the way with the bulk, and again told me to go **** myself call the union and file a ****ing grievance.

I grabbed another sup and had them call the manager of the sort and he came over with the company steward! the steward tried to tell me to let it go, I told him to resign as a steward because he was an embarrassment!

I have filed several hundred grievances on this shift for sups working, to the point that they would announce me over the radio when i was walking the building. It only pissed me off more, so i started sneaking around in the shadows and continued to file.

The members saw this and saw the grievance checks that I had gotten them through hours and hours of hard work. Now the members file when they see a sup working.

All it takes is one man to stand up and others will follow!

That sup is no longer there and that steward is no longer a steward after he was voted out by the members! I helped a little in campaigning against him.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Whatever.
Thats what i have come to expect from you! One liners or one full sentence that just shows you have no clue!'

Keep dring apartment complexes because the man said so, keep getting whipped by the man and turning a blind eye to contract violations.

I will consider my self lucky that i do not work with people like your self!

But the more people see the one man attempting to slay the dragon alone the more people will get involved. It has taken me about 3 years.

I was walking out of the building one night and came up to a sup yelling at an employee using profanity and talking down to the employee. So i stopped and asked her to talk to the employee like she would expect to be talked to by him.

She told me to go **** myself! She then walked in to a trailer and started unloading. I asked her what her name was and she again told me to go **** myself. So i called her toots and asked her why she was doing my job. She was offended that i called her toots. I told her i was offended that she was not wearing her i.d. and doing my job.

I asked to stop working again as i stood in her way from unloading bulk out of the trailer. She pushed me out of the way with the bulk, and again told me to go **** myself call the union and file a ****ing grievance.

I grabbed another sup and had them call the manager of the sort and he came over with the company steward! the steward tried to tell me to let it go, I told him to resign as a steward because he was an embarrassment!

I have filed several hundred grievances on this shift for sups working, to the point that they would announce me over the radio when i was walking the building. It only pissed me off more, so i started sneaking around in the shadows and continued to file.

The members saw this and saw the grievance checks that I had gotten them through hours and hours of hard work. Now the members file when they see a sup working.

That sup is no longer there and that steward is no longer a steward after he was voted out by the members! I helped a little in campaigning against him.

I don't condone yelling and profanity, but are you there when a driver is going ballistic on a supervisor? It is a two way street. Why didn't you simply ask why she was working? Then offer to finish the job if no employee was available.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will consider my self lucky that i do not work with people like your self!

Believe me, I am so glad that we don't have Joe Union in our center.

What you have to realize is that mine is a very small center and, for the most part, everyone works together to get the job done. No one bitches when supervisors bring out LIBs or shuttle misloads. No one bitches when a PT sup lends a hand when needed.

I admit that I have no idea what the work environment in Chicago is like and have no desire to find out but, from what I have read, it sounds like you go to work looking for issues.

Finally, and most importantly, I couldn't care less what you think about me or the way that I perform my job, much the same as I couldn't care less how many grievances you file in a day.

(Red, you need to lighten up!)

UnconTROLLed

perfection

What you are talking about doesnt work everywhere and definitly wouldn't fly here. It's pro-UPS anti-union and the members do not care. Similar to what Upstate is saying, except on a much larger scale (hub). This is northern new england, more conservative in nature. Sup working grievances are not paid, period. And if they are , it's not the member filing pocketing the money.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I don't condone yelling and profanity, but are you there when a driver is going ballistic on a supervisor? It is a two way street. Why didn't you simply ask why she was working? Then offer to finish the job if no employee was available.

I never allow yelling in front of the other employees, i always encourage both parties to step in to an office and resolve it with myself there. It does no one any good to witness it.

I do not care why she was working! We do not have emergency condition language, our language prohibits sups from working!

Once she told me to go **** myself all respect went out the window! Treat others the way they treat you.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Believe me, I am so glad that we don't have Joe Union in our center.

What you have to realize is that mine is a very small center and, for the most part, everyone works together to get the job done. No one bitches when supervisors bring out LIBs or shuttle misloads. No one bitches when a PT sup lends a hand when needed.

So you condone sups working? Its ok to give guys days off voluntarily or because there is no work, yet a sup is allowed to shuttle? WOULD not fly here. Our full time sups know that we will file in a heart beat and they actually like it now. They are able to catch up on paper work instead of doing the paper work later after they did union work.

I admit that I have no idea what the work environment in Chicago is like and have no desire to find out but, from what I have read, it sounds like you go to work looking for issues.

I go to work to work. But if i see a violation of course i will call them on it. If there where no issues there would be nothing for me to look for now would there?

I work with 1400 other teamster ups employees in my building and hundreds of sups. We have over 400 package car drivers, 100 feeder drivers, over 40 22.3 combo jobs, 7 full time porters and about 800 part timers between the preload and twilight shifts and air drivers.

People get sent home everyday, for being a minute or two late and that gives the sup the right to work? Absolutely not! Part timers right now have to scratch and claw to get their guarantees, but you would allow a sup to wrap up a pull?

Finally, and most importantly, I couldn't care less what you think about me or the way that I perform my job, much the same as I couldn't care less how many grievances you file in a day.

(Red, you need to lighten up!)

And you need to grow a set! Your a reason why upser's do not stand up for themselves! Continue to lay down like a carpet and get walked all over!

705red

Browncafe Steward
What you are talking about doesnt work everywhere and definitly wouldn't fly here. It's pro-UPS anti-union and the members do not care. Similar to what Upstate is saying, except on a much larger scale (hub). This is northern new england, more conservative in nature. Sup working grievances are not paid, period. And if they are , it's not the member filing pocketing the money.
I was told the same thing here. I was told you will never stop sups from working yada yada yada.

Now everyone knows my name at work and i get thanked almost on a daily basis. For some time there i was actually ready to give up, because they just thought it was a joke. But just as i was getting ready to, people started flocking and getting involved. It spread like a wild fire.

Stewards from the preload would help out on the twilight and vice versa. Package stewards would come in early and stay later.

I will admit that a lot has to do with the union also. We have the backing of the union here. The union will arbitrate a deadlocked 2 hour sup working grievance from panel. A violation is a violation.

I am truly shocked to hear that out of local 25. i have read a lot of good things about Sean O'Brien. He is a great organizer and i will dig up videos of stike lines of local 25 even fighting with the police.

I would call him and inform him of what his agents are doing or i should say not doing.

UPSNewbie

I was told the same thing here. I was told you will never stop sups from working yada yada yada.

Now everyone knows my name at work and i get thanked almost on a daily basis. For some time there i was actually ready to give up, because they just thought it was a joke. But just as i was getting ready to, people started flocking and getting involved. It spread like a wild fire.

Stewards from the preload would help out on the twilight and vice versa. Package stewards would come in early and stay later.

I will admit that a lot has to do with the union also. We have the backing of the union here. The union will arbitrate a deadlocked 2 hour sup working grievance from panel. A violation is a violation.

I am truly shocked to hear that out of local 25. i have read a lot of good things about Sean O'Brien. He is a great organizer and i will dig up videos of stike lines of local 25 even fighting with the police.

I would call him and inform him of what his agents are doing or i should say not doing.

Unlike Upstate, I would have liked to have seen someone like you at the center I worked at. Union activity here is just about nil.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And you need to grow a set! Your a reason why upser's do not stand up for themselves! Continue to lay down like a carpet and get walked all over!

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You don't know me or my work environment. We have 35 drivers, 1 center manager, 1 on-car and 1 dispatch sup. We work together--why is that some fricking hard for you to understand? As far as the rest of your post, I will try to control my laughter while I type but it is going to be hard.

gandydancer

... You don't know me or my work environment. We have 35 drivers, 1 center manager, 1 on-car and 1 dispatch sup. We work together...

All the happy little dwarves, singing as they work... UPS, the Disney version. Doesn't sound like the company I've worked for for twenty years.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I'm not happy with their representation. As for anyone else, that's their opinion/business. For all I know they could be the best there is and even will be, in others eyes...

We had 5 22.3 jobs that were changed after our annual bid in 2008. The jobs were reworked so they have to hump packages for 8 hours, 4 in package and 4 in the hub. Previously they were 4 hours doing clerical work and 4 hours hub. That is what we all bid on and within the weeks all of the moves were made in the Local from bids, the jobs were changed.

The union did not help at all, they said tough *****, work slower if it's too much. Almost as though the union had a hand in it, and thats the treatment we get

This is one example of Local 25 representation. I'm sure other locals would have addressed the issue and pushed for at least a rebid.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You don't know me or my work environment. We have 35 drivers, 1 center manager, 1 on-car and 1 dispatch sup. We work together--why is that some fricking hard for you to understand? As far as the rest of your post, I will try to control my laughter while I type but it is going to be hard.

While your laughing at me just remember that my wife and kids are still with me. I also can walk in to work every day knowing that my rights will not be walked all over.

Can you say the same? I don't think so! So who's really laughing right now?