Part Time Sups--------Don't be this foolish!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This morning while checking out a noise coming from a conveyor, I came across these 2 clowns:clown::clown:, no I mean part-time supervisors who were on a thoroughly jammed up conveyor. I am familiar with the noise so I suspected it to be a jam but it is my job to check out these types of unusual noises, so I did. When I got to the area the noise was coming from I saw these guys up on the conveyor that was approximately 15-20' up throwing packages in a very panicked manner to another conveyor like the packages were trash as opposed to some customers property. After a couple of moments I saw one guy stand on the side pan and the other, in a red face panicked manner, yelled to a guy to start the conveyor while he was still on the conveyor. The conveyor did not move on start up so he grabbed a hold of a conveyor crossbeam and started pushing with his feet to move the conveyor, the other guy joined him. They did this right near a hitch, one of the most dangerous components that we have at UPS. The conveyor was loaded with packages and their feet were very close to the hitch and the belt was moving. The craziest thing about this is that I personally spoke to the one guy about this exact danger on this exact belt weeks ago. He wants to be the hero of the sort. I hate to be the one to break the news to him and any other fool who would do something like this but if you get hurt or killed while doing something like this at UPS the first thing you and you loved ones will hear from UPS is what an idiot you were for doing what you were doing. They will just lie and act like this isn't something you guys do all the time. You may not want to believe it but you know its true. Whatever.

I agree!

tieguy

Banned
:taz:Ready for some more scratching and clawing! I don't care who agrees or disagrees with me. I 'm only working with what others are offering as replies. BTW Do you ever stay on topic?:offtopic:

your topic is a no brainer. You can't fix the things you see at work on this message board. You can however address them as they happen with your boss and your safety committe. You means of responding to disagreement here is the real topic. And quite entertaining.:bloodshot:

I thought the "whatever" at the end of your initial post was cute too. It indicates a certain youthfulness that is usually missing from the PE ranks. How old are you?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I make 30 buck an hour + a hell of alot of bennies my kids and wife have a good life and I thank Jesus everyday for it , but it still sucks. Nevermind everything is rosey the big boss in Atlanta appreciates everything I do and this job dosent make my body hurt the least bit it's great I am so greatful can I have 20 more stops and a p-800.
I drive an 800.:sad-little:

its not about pleasing the co, the union or any boss---
talk to me about these priorities when your older and your family is grown and gone
If I'm not as old as you, I'm older and not every family is the same. Some families adjust and adapt to ever changing conditions. It sounds like you refuse to let yours do this. So instead of letting them see the realities of a parent coming home at all hours after a grueling day at work, you choose to run your butt off so that they won't have to suffer for one more moment without you.

You have every right to live that way if you so choose. I will not kill myself to get home early. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and I know how to pace myself.

bwn

From the sound of it, you are not new to Ups. so you should know that even thought the part-time sup wasnt thinking(which is a daily event) the Area manger (the guy who doesn't think but gets paid a heck of a lot more, and bonus walkie talkie accessory) is the one screaming at these kids to KEEP THAT BELT MOVING. all there pre sort meetings are about how to keep unloaders and loaders in the trucks and pick off and sorter chucking boxes (hand to surface of course HA!) It is all about getting the sort wrapped and moving nothing else matters...nothing even safety. They can preach safety to OSHA and to new hires but if you have been there more than one year you know the ugly truth, it doesn't matter one bit, till someone gets killed or maimed. And even when that happens they find a way to blame it on you. GREED that is all it is.

Raw

Raw Member
Roflmao your posting style is unique. You throw something out there then get in the fetal position and scratch and claw at anyone that disagrees. If you really think its great that you speak your mind then you also need to learn to appreciate others who respond by speaking their minds.
You either enter the fetal position OR you scratch and claw at those who disagree, you can`t do both! :happy-very:

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I drive an 800.:sad-little:

If I'm not as old as you, I'm older and not every family is the same. Some families adjust and adapt to ever changing conditions. It sounds like you refuse to let yours do this. So instead of letting them see the realities of a parent coming home at all hours after a grueling day at work, you choose to run your butt off so that they won't have to suffer for one more moment without you.

You have every right to live that way if you so choose. I will not kill myself to get home early. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and I know how to pace myself.

so be it, but I think you did not understand my point-- years down the road ,,, when you are old,,when your family has moved out and gone on, and your no longer working for ups, ,ask yourself if it was worth it to "show the company they cant and wont make me work fast" or,, like you said ""I bet if I ran my butt off and skipped my lunch, pleasing my superiors by providing great bonus (bogus) numbers for them, and got home to a hot supper and a loving, non upset wife, things would be so much better.""" time is the only commodity you can never get more of,, so keep teaching ups a lesson at the expense of everyone around you

PE Pro

PE Pro,
Did you report this to your management? If not, please do so. From your description, their actions are totally unacceptable and need to be dealt with before they get hurt. Thank you.
You are kidding. Please tell me your kidding. Why would I tell them something that goes on regularly in UPS OPS? You're a PE manager you know what goes on. I have seen so many unsafe acts and have had so much dishonest smoke blown up my rear in my years here that the local PE management would be one of the last places I would go. I have surrendered to the fact that I am expected to get in line, keep my concerns to myself about the great UPS and if I am going to be so negative and I don't like it so much then why don't I just quit. :surrenderThere is no issue to report here because when the Keter Audits come in the PE Dept leads the way in the cover up. These 2 clowns that I mentioned will not do this on audit day and I can't even remember the last time I saw a jam on an audit day.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I drive an 800.:sad-little: Hey I thought you drove an old non powered 1000 pulling a pup????

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
so be it, but I think you did not understand my point-- years down the road ,,, when you are old,,when your family has moved out and gone on, and your no longer working for ups, ,ask yourself if it was worth it to "show the company they cant and wont make me work fast" or,, like you said ""I bet if I ran my butt off and skipped my lunch, pleasing my superiors by providing great bonus (bogus) numbers for them, and got home to a hot supper and a loving, non upset wife, things would be so much better.""" time is the only commodity you can never get more of,, so keep teaching ups a lesson at the expense of everyone around you
I'm not teaching UPS a lesson. I'm simply following the rules that have been put in place so that when I am "old", I'll still be able to walk/bend/run, etc... My family will see this for what it actually is, WORKING. I work at UPS and when I "get" home, I have family time. Are you telling me that you're teaching your family to cut corners so that they can have "ME" time, as well? Sounds kind of selfish to me, but then again, you're the runner/gunner, aren't you?

I do pull a pup/tp60, with an 800. I think the #800 is for the amount of foot pounds it takes to turn the steering wheel.:knockedout:

pemanager

You are kidding. Please tell me your kidding. Why would I tell them something that goes on regularly in UPS OPS? You're a PE manager you know what goes on. I have seen so many unsafe acts and have had so much dishonest smoke blown up my rear in my years here that the local PE management would be one of the last places I would go. I have surrendered to the fact that I am expected to get in line, keep my concerns to myself about the great UPS and if I am going to be so negative and I don't like it so much then why don't I just quit. :surrenderThere is no issue to report here because when the Keter Audits come in the PE Dept leads the way in the cover up. These 2 clowns that I mentioned will not do this on audit day and I can't even remember the last time I saw a jam on an audit day.

PE Pro,

No I am not kidding. 15 years ago this was commonplace but, from a senior management perspective, it is no longer tolerated. There may be honest disagreement on what is an unsafe act but what you described violates at least 2 clearly defined policies (conveyor securing and not standing on sidepan) and if you want to be technical also violates live conveyor policies. If you do not feel confident your direct management will address the issue then contact the safety manager. They are obligated to perform an investigation and I am aware of a number of similar circumstances where there have been consequences to such actions. I have also personally made sure that such actions have been addressed.

It is easy to cop out and say nothing will come of informing management of what you have seen but you, most likely, have a much greater knowledge of the hazards associated with powered equipment and shouldn't ignore the danger they are putting themselves in.

If you truly do not want to be involved with your local management, PM me more specific information and I will forward it to the appropriate people and you can remain anonymous.

Thank you.

P.S. - has anyone checked to verify that there is not a non operational reason why there are multiple jams there?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Some delicious building violations I have seen recently. One is sort of on-topic so I will share. No, I am not complaining as PePro is, I shed a blind eye to these infractions and if others want to contribute to the unsafe work areas that is their problem.

One where a conveyer belt on a return belt wouldn't run. This was on a belt that connects one of the local belts into the primary. The friend/T sup was frantic and was on the belt running it like a hamster, and when he saw an hourly (a small female I might add) he had HER do the running and just stood there and watched. Very UNSAFE!!!

Another is more recent, where now we have a "power scan" in our small sort. What happens is baggers make bags and then instead of dropping them onto the belt to be sorted back in the primary, the bags are thrown aside onto the floor to be held until any errors in the bags can pop up in the computer. This is very dangerous as now egress is completely blocked around the small sort! If OSHA knew about this, boy they would have a field day. However I'm sure in the case of an audit, the power scan wouldn 't be so powerful on that day....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Some delicious building violations I have seen recently. One is sort of on-topic so I will share. No, I am not complaining as PePro is, I shed a blind eye to these infractions and if others want to contribute to the unsafe work areas that is their problem.

One where a conveyer belt on a return belt wouldn't run. This was on a belt that connects one of the local belts into the primary. The friend/T sup was frantic and was on the belt running it like a hamster, and when he saw an hourly (a small female I might add) he had HER do the running and just stood there and watched. Very UNSAFE!!!

Another is more recent, where now we have a "power scan" in our small sort. What happens is baggers make bags and then instead of dropping them onto the belt to be sorted back in the primary, the bags are thrown aside onto the floor to be held until any errors in the bags can pop up in the computer. This is very dangerous as now egress is completely blocked around the small sort! If OSHA knew about this, boy they would have a field day. However I'm sure in the case of an audit, the power scan wouldn 't be so powerful on that day....
Isn't this statement conflicting? It sounds as though you're saying that you won't contribute to unsafe worksapces, but at the same time see them without reporting them.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Isn't this statement conflicting? It sounds as though you're saying that you won't contribute to unsafe worksapces, but at the same time see them without reporting them.
Sorry still pre-coffee when I typed that. I only meant I refuse to work unsafely, however if others want to participate in that, go for it.

Has anyone as an hourly, ever nicely tried to tell another hourly they aren't being safe or tried to instruct them on how to do their job? Try it sometime. Maybe it's a New England thing, but people can be very hostile and take offense to it. It's better to mind your own business and not get involved - that is what the company wants, cooperative mindless grunts that don't challenge anything, so why fight?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
P.S. - has anyone checked to verify that there is not a non operational reason why there are multiple jams there?

PE Pro wil repair the situation as soon as the company provides him with gloves and sleeves.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sorry still pre-coffee when I typed that. I only meant I refuse to work unsafely, however if others want to participate in that, go for it.

Has anyone as an hourly, ever nicely tried to tell another hourly they aren't being safe or tried to instruct them on how to do their job? Try it sometime. Maybe it's a New England thing, but people can be very hostile and take offense to it. It's better to mind your own business and not get involved - that is what the company wants, cooperative mindless grunts that don't challenge anything, so why fight?
This is true, but I'd rather tell them and give them the knowledge, then to let it go unsaid. BTW the same thing goes for the runner/gunner. When told that they are not working safely, they tend to shrug it off, but in the end there will be an I told you so.

PE Pro

PE Pro,

No I am not kidding. 15 years ago this was commonplace but, from a senior management perspective, it is no longer tolerated. There may be honest disagreement on what is an unsafe act but what you described violates at least 2 clearly defined policies (conveyor securing and not standing on sidepan) and if you want to be technical also violates live conveyor policies. If you do not feel confident your direct management will address the issue then contact the safety manager. They are obligated to perform an investigation and I am aware of a number of similar circumstances where there have been consequences to such actions. I have also personally made sure that such actions have been addressed.

It is easy to cop out and say nothing will come of informing management of what you have seen but you, most likely, have a much greater knowledge of the hazards associated with powered equipment and shouldn't ignore the danger they are putting themselves in.

If you truly do not want to be involved with your local management, PM me more specific information and I will forward it to the appropriate people and you can remain anonymous.

Thank you.

I've got a better idea. Why don't you take this senior management perspective and write a memo or a pcm and send it to all the ops? This should take all of about 5 minutes to write and 1 click of a mouse to remind the ops management that these kind of unsafe acts are no longer tolerated. You also might want to add that the part-time sups should not be directed to or allowed to work unsafely on and around conveyor equipment. When the part-time sups stop laughing and come out of the pcm they can then get back to doing whatever it takes to get done. These guys may be clowns but they are my coworkers. I spoke to them, I have done my part. Maybe management can start to do theirs, after all they are management.:dont_know:
P.S-There is nothing wrong with the conveyor, it is the culture that is faulty.

PE Pro

your topic is a no brainer. You can't fix the things you see at work on this message board. You can however address them as they happen with your boss and your safety committe. You means of responding to disagreement here is the real topic. And quite entertaining.:bloodshot:

I thought the "whatever" at the end of your initial post was cute too. It indicates a certain youthfulness that is usually missing from the PE ranks. How old are you?
Maybe you would prefer It Is What It Is! or may be :its_all_good:.Oh well,:whatever: