Part Time TCD, Is This Possible????...

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
Hello Upsers! The hub I just got hired at, and will be starting on 08/02/16 informed me that if I'm interested in driving, I could become a part time TCD right out of the gate. The gentlemen who interviewed me says they need drivers really, really, really, really bad. He said verbatim I wouldn't need any seniority for the position because they can bypass the 30 day rule as they are in dire need for drivers. I would like to know is this possible and if so, how long would it take for me become a full time TCD? Also if it stays part time what are the chances of me working in the hub as a package handler when I'm not cover driving?

Box Ox

Sounds like they want to keep you on call for shuttling or mini routes punched in as a 3C (temp driver, no 8 hour guarantee). TCD is a full time position in that if/when you are worked you're guaranteed 8 hours if you want them (4C).

Maybe the hub is just being honest with you in that you'd work full days but only 2 or 3 days a week. But probably not. No such thing as a "part time TCD" as far as I know.

Yeah more what I meant was if they need drivers that bad he will be working full time hours.

Hell if they need drivers that bad he might have some leverage to say make me full time then.
We don't have TCD so I guess that's how they get away with it. Here is the kicker a part time driver at top rate makes more per hour than I do.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
In the central TCD is a year round cover driving position that pays 85% of top rate. We were expected to call in an hour or so before start time to see if we were needed, otherwise I would work twilight sort that evening. You will be on the bottom so when vacations and peak are over you will be in the hub for sure, but still easy to make $50k + cause when you work it will be long days (from my experience).

Get qualified and this will lock you into 85% rate if you ever go full-time, which is a lot of money over a 4 year progression.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I meant work inside if you aren't driving that day.

I was asked to work inside many times after a long day driving...sort aisle people would call out and they were desperate. I never did it because it was time and a half from my inside rate and would screw up my hours of service and reset time for the week/day.

You can drive till your out of hours for the day and work in the hub another shift if you want....hours of service doesn't matter inside the building but will count towards your 60 for the week.

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
Yes, I was a part time cover driver for 5 years before I got a full time cover bid. Though I worked 45-50/week.......as a part timer. And made top rate after 2 years.

So out of those five years you worked as a cover driver, did you at all have to work in the hub when there were no route for you to cover? I'm just trying to get the slightest idea of maybe how much hub work I may do... but seeing as to how bad they need drivers, I don't think I'll be in the hub to often.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So out of those five years you worked as a cover driver, did you at all have to work in the hub when there were no route for you to cover? I'm just trying to get the slightest idea of maybe how much hub work I may do... but seeing as to how bad they need drivers, I don't think I'll be in the hub to often.
I only worked in the hub maybe a dozen times after I started driving as a tcd, all in the first three months. But I showed up everyday in browns ready to work. If I had played the "call in to see if we need you" game I wouldn't have worked near as much.

Once you know a few routes you're set.

Cementups

Box Monkey

That's hard for me to give you an accurate answer. My first year in 1996 I worked maybe 50% of the time. In 1997 we went on strike and management cut back on utilization of driver for about the next year so I got sent back to preload. I would work preload and then come back in for the afternoon sort and get a second shift in. Eventually I would start wearing my browns in to sort and if they needed someone I was there and ready to work. I made myself available. It was about a year after the strike until I started driving regular again, but from then on I've rarely had a forced day off since.

Normally, the driver's that start in our building don't work very regular the first year. After the first year they start to get utilized a bit more. Right now we are at a point where we need drivers as well and we don't have too many bodies sitting at home daily. I see guys that just qualified driving 3-4 days a week. In your building it seems they need drivers so bad they are willing to forgive the promote from within policy so you may be working daily from day 1. It's rare but it happens. Enjoy the ride.

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
That's hard for me to give you an accurate answer. My first year in 1996 I worked maybe 50% of the time. In 1997 we went on strike and management cut back on utilization of driver for about the next year so I got sent back to preload. I would work preload and then come back in for the afternoon sort and get a second shift in. Eventually I would start wearing my browns in to sort and if they needed someone I was there and ready to work. I made myself available. It was about a year after the strike until I started driving regular again, but from then on I've rarely had a forced day off since.

Normally, the driver's that start in our building don't work very regular the first year. After the first year they start to get utilized a bit more. Right now we are at a point where we need drivers as well and we don't have too many bodies sitting at home daily. I see guys that just qualified driving 3-4 days a week. In your building it seems they need drivers so bad they are willing to forgive the promote from within policy so you may be working daily from day 1. It's rare but it happens. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks for your input @Cementups, I appreciate it!