Part Time TCD, Is This Possible????...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Have a co-worker who went to integrad and failed the road test, DQ'd for a year. Union won't back him.

Your co-worker must have failed something else. Usually, and yes there are probably a few exceptions, you take and must pass the road test before they even send you to Integrad.

And here, even if you fail Integrad, you are not DQ'ed for a year. Try again the next time. Now, if you fail the second time, you are DQ'ed for 3 years.

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
So w
Your co-worker must have failed something else. Usually, and yes there are probably a few exceptions, you take and must pass the road test before they even send you to Integrad.

And here, even if you fail Integrad, you are not DQ'ed for a year. Try again the next time. Now, if you fail the second time, you are DQ'ed for 3 years.
Just a quick question, so what happens if you go to integrad and get DQ'ed for whatever reason and you wanted to drive in the future, would you have to retake the driving test again or would you only be required to take integrad school over hence you already past the road exam the first time?

UnconTROLLed

perfection

No, they did not fail anything else actually. On the last day, they failed the "road test/course" thing they have. You no longer have to pass an initial "road test" to go to Integrad, that is my understanding. You take an online assessment /test. Anyway, just another thing that is not contractual and the company/union can do whatever they please on the issue.

BigD Bri

I actually took the test this morning and passed! Driving school starts 10/24/16. I'M FREAKIN STOKED!!!!

I start Intergrad the same day. I feel you on the road test, glad you got another shot at it. I passed mine, but my shifting wasn't anywhere near as smooth as I would have liked it to be. It was just different shifting in that truck than shifting in cars, but like everyone says here, I'm sure you get used to it pretty quickly.

I originally applied for TCD. Some type of union issue was raised about them hiring outside TCD's, so they offered me preload, which I took. Three weeks later, I got the Seasonal Driver bid, and here I am. I'm sure that, like me, you're hoping it somehow turns into a FT Driver gig. Everyone here basically says the same thing, depends on the needs of your center, and how much seniority is in front of you. My PT sup on preload seems to think I won't be back after Peak, I suppose because he thinks we are so short of drivers here.. Truth is, won't know until it's over in January.

Best advice I've gotten here is: Do a good job, be prepared to go right back to preload after Peak and wait your turn, and that's the attitude I'm taking... Control what you can control, and stay the course.

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
Y
I start Intergrad the same day. I feel you on the road test, glad you got another shot at it. I passed mine, but my shifting wasn't anywhere near as smooth as I would have liked it to be. It was just different shifting in that truck than shifting in cars, but like everyone says here, I'm sure you get used to it pretty quickly.

I originally applied for TCD. Some type of union issue was raised about them hiring outside TCD's, so they offered me preload, which I took. Three weeks later, I got the Seasonal Driver bid, and here I am. I'm sure that, like me, you're hoping it somehow turns into a FT Driver gig. Everyone here basically says the same thing, depends on the needs of your center, and how much seniority is in front of you. My PT sup on preload seems to think I won't be back after Peak, I suppose because he thinks we are so short of drivers here.. Truth is, won't know until it's over in January.

Best advice I've gotten here is: Do a good job, be prepared to go right back to preload after Peak and wait your turn, and that's the attitude I'm taking... Control what you can control, and stay the course.
Yea I agree with you on the shifting. The gears are a lot tighter and close together in the PC's then they are in cars... Looks like you made a smart move taking the preload job as it got you on the inside to sign the seasonal driver bid sheet. You can betcha I'm hoping to stay after peak but I don't think that's likely to happen as I've been told by HR I will return to my preload job. Even when/if I return to preload after peak I will continue to put my work/time in. Sure can't wait until that PT to FT bid goes up though lol!!!

Brisket

Y

Looks like you made a smart move taking the preload job as it got you on the inside to sign the seasonal driver bid sheet. You can betcha I'm hoping to stay after peak but I don't think that's likely to happen as I've been told by HR I will return to my preload job. Even when/if I return to preload after peak I will continue to put my work/time in. Sure can't wait until that PT to FT bid goes up though lol!!!

I know everyone probably says this, but hold on until just after peak ( if you can) , because here where I am there are at least 15 people leaving this craziness for well-earned retirement ( and especially since we have more than one center in the building, you could at least double the number), and just this week we had a driver pass away before leaving the building!

The driver had reportedly said they didn't feel well and someone call for help .
That really put it all in perspective, you do NOT want your last days to be at work!

BigD Bri

I know everyone probably says this, but hold on until just after peak ( if you can) , because here where I am there are at least 15 people leaving this craziness for well-earned retirement ( and especially since we have more than one center in the building, you could at least double the number), and just this week we had a driver pass away before leaving the building!

The driver had reportedly said they didn't feel well and someone call for help .
That really put it all in perspective, you do NOT want your last days to be at work!

That's unbelievable.. In my particular area, there are two new hubs opening as I speak. I don't know how that might effect moving to FT more quickly, perhaps at one of the new hubs, don't even know if that's a possibilty, but maybe it will be.. Either way, I'm not going anywhere. This is an opportunity I can't afford not to pursue regardless of how long it takes.

Brisket

Yep, I heard something about one for sure but two opening? Nice! And it's probably in a warmer climate too? Win!

greenroomgal

Hello Upsers! The hub I just got hired at, and will be starting on 08/02/16 informed me that if I'm interested in driving, I could become a part time TCD right out of the gate. The gentlemen who interviewed me says they need drivers really, really, really, really bad. He said verbatim I wouldn't need any seniority for the position because they can bypass the 30 day rule as they are in dire need for drivers. I would like to know is this possible and if so, how long would it take for me become a full time TCD? Also if it stays part time what are the chances of me working in the hub as a package handler when I'm not cover driving?
what part of the country?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
No, they did not fail anything else actually. On the last day, they failed the "road test/course" thing they have.

Got it. Yes they have to pass this road test also, but we were talking about the initial road test done at your building by a sup before even being able to go to Integrad.

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
If you don't mind me asking (just to see if you are who I think you are) by any chance did you take your test Saturday morning at a UPS hub?

BigD Bri

If you don't mind me asking (just to see if you are who I think you are) by any chance did you take your test Saturday morning at a UPS hub?

No, not on Saturday.. I was the only one testing the day I took it. The instructor was going to a different hub as soon as I was done..