Part-Time to Full-time --New Hires taking priority

Teamster258

I went for my UPS driver training, I've worked for UPS for a little over 6 years now part time in the factory and weekend driving. I have been waiting a long time to finally be getting full time driving.

Me and a buddy that work together both got assigned to a big city that is over an hour commute. When we went to the training the majority of people there were new and have never driven before or worked with the company. They were also assigned a location that both me and my friend prefer because its the factory we've been working at for all these years.

Why is it they're hiring a lot of new people when there are plenty inside the factories that are just waiting to go full time. The bid was never specifically put up for this preferred location either. There were plenty of people that put a general bid in for driving and didn't get it.

It just doesn't seem fair.

Is there really anything that I can do to get out of the city and into my preferred area? Sometimes it doesn't feel like my seniority counts for anything...

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
T258, is it possible your 'preferred area' is only getting seasonal (temporary) drivers, while you're assigned to the 'big city' because that's where the regular (permanent) full time jobs are being filled?
Would you retain bidding rights to your 'preferred area' if a full time job opens up there? You didn't say what part of the country you're in; different areas have different rules. I suggest you call your Teamster Local office and talk your teamster business agent or representative about your concerns. Maybe get yourself a copy of the union contract/supplements while you're at it. Let us know how it turns out.
Good luck!

packageguy

You should call your union hall, let them know what's going on. They could be hiring casual ( summer help ), if it's full driver to make seniorty, that might be a problem. My local has 6 part-timers, 1 outsider or ( street ) and 1 transfer from another building in or local. good luck.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I went for my UPS driver training, I've worked for UPS for a little over 6 years now part time in the factory and weekend driving. I have been waiting a long time to finally be getting full time driving.

Me and a buddy that work together both got assigned to a big city that is over an hour commute. When we went to the training the majority of people there were new and have never driven before or worked with the company. They were also assigned a location that both me and my friend prefer because its the factory we've been working at for all these years.

Why is it they're hiring a lot of new people when there are plenty inside the factories that are just waiting to go full time. The bid was never specifically put up for this preferred location either. There were plenty of people that put a general bid in for driving and didn't get it.

It just doesn't seem fair.

Is there really anything that I can do to get out of the city and into my preferred area? Sometimes it doesn't feel like my seniority counts for anything...

You are going for perm FT driving? Or casual / temp cover/ seasonal cover?

Teamster258

Right now I'm going in for Full time seasonal cover but I'm kinda hoping that they'll keep me on.... as I'm sure everyone hopes that.
I work in CT. I don't know if its frequent that they do keep on those that help cover? Maybe if I'm in the city I'll have a better chance of that?

Re-Raise

Wow. Factory? Weekend driving?

Okay just for fun lets pretend you are legit.

Are they expecting you to drive out of a different center even though you are next in line in seniority at your own center?

Teamster258

Wow. Factory? Weekend driving?

Okay just for fun lets pretend you are legit.

Are they expecting you to drive out of a different center even though you are next in line in seniority at your own center?

Uhg. okay saturday air driver.... -- I didn't think my own would mock me just because I'm not typing the "lingo"... I really don't even know why someone would pretend to be a UPS driver I'm just looking for answers not to get mocked...

Anyway when we did the bid this past Feb. I was the 3rd down on the bid list... but I know that at least one person on the list was already placed and I'm not sure about the other person in front of me... so I may or may not be the next one in line...

Re-Raise

Uhg. okay saturday air driver.... -- I didn't think my own would mock me just because I'm not typing the "lingo"... I really don't even know why someone would pretend to be a UPS driver I'm just looking for answers not to get mocked...

Anyway when we did the bid this past Feb. I was the 3rd down on the bid list... but I know that at least one person on the list was already placed and I'm not sure about the other person in front of me... so I may or may not be the next one in line...

I ve just never heard an employee call any of our centers or hubs a factory before, or call it anything other than Saturday air driving.

I have also never heard of someone signing a bid in their center and then being "sent" to a center an hour away. Your situation is somethimg I don't understand.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I ve just never heard an employee call any of our centers or hubs a factory before, or call it anything other than Saturday air driving.

I have also never heard of someone signing a bid in their center and then being "sent" to a center an hour away. Your situation is somethimg I don't understand.

...that would be because he is making this stuff up as he goes...

menotyou

bella amicizia
This one sounds far fetched to me. I am sorta thinking troll. What 6 year UPS vet calls a Hub a "Factory"??

There have been a lot of 'trolls', lately.

I was watching the first Columbo the other day. Gene Barry's character called Columbo a troll. He was implying that Columbo was pretending to be something he really isn't. Interesting, I thought, since that movie was made in 1967.

moreluck

golden ticket member
There have been a lot of 'trolls', lately.

I was watching the first Columbo the other day. Gene Barry's character called Columbo a troll. He was implying that Columbo was pretending to be something he really isn't. Interesting, I thought, since that movie was made in 1967.

Back then, I thought Troll was just a short ugly guy.