part time ups air driver or fedEx part time driver

khaled

i need an advice ,,i am so confused.i have two interviews on monday at the same time,one for the ups air package driver part time ,and fedex part time driver they offer 15.50/h but not many hours ,,i think its 4 or 5 hours a day.they both at the same time and i need to choose one of them ,,,any one can recommend witch one is better
thank you

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
i need an advice ,,i am so confused.i have two interviews on monday at the same time,one for the ups air package driver part time ,and fedex part time driver they offer 15.50/h but not many hours ,,i think its 4 or 5 hours a day.they both at the same time and i need to choose one of them ,,,any one can recommend witch one is better
thank you

Go with UPS! Harder work, but better long term pay and benefits.

dezguy

thank you

Depends on what you want. FedEx, you'll get benefits after your probation period and "pension". At UPS you get neither until you're hired on fulltime. You'll also have to pay union dues at UPS but won't receive representation until you're hired on fulltime. That said, if and when you're hired on at UPS, you'll come out much further ahead than if you were at FedEx. I've been with Express for over 10 years and still am no where close to top wage. At UPS, you hit top wage after 2 years.

If this is just a temporary job, like a year, maybe 2, you might want to choose FedEx just so you'll get benefits during that time. If you're looking for something that is going to be a career, choose UPS.

upschuck

Depends on what you want. FedEx, you'll get benefits after your probation period and "pension". At UPS you get neither until you're hired on fulltime. You'll also have to pay union dues at UPS but won't receive representation until you're hired on fulltime.
Not true. Health benefits after a year and pension credits as long as you are over 21. A lot of PTers are there for the Health benefits.

dezguy

Not true. Health benefits after a year and pension credits as long as you are over 21. A lot of PTers are there for the Health benefits.

Apologies. I'm going off of what UPS has up here. Figured they were about the same between the US and Canada.

dezguy

I was looking at the UPS forums a couple weeks ago and read it takes 5 - 8 years to top out. Still beats never topping out at FedEx

Again, I didn't think there would be that much of a difference between UPS and UPS Canada. Here, you hit top wage after 2 years.

Fedups14

thank you

Khaled, I worked for both UPS and FedEx and I am gonna try and give you the best advice I can. I've been looking at this website for a long time and I only signed up just so you don't fall into the FedEx trap. I worked at UPS during college, started in 2006 as a package handler, pay was not great but I had free health benefits and had the union protection from management. I never intended on making UPS a career. As I came closer to graduating, I needed extra cash so I went into management. I worked in the local center and we had about 110 drivers. We also had part time air drivers as well and here is what I can tell you about part time air drivers. There are two different types of part time air drivers, EAM drivers and on call air. EAM drivers deliver packages that have a commitment time of 8 AM OR 8:30 in some areas, they don't work a lot of hours but my understanding is that they are guaranteed 3.5 hours per day, and occasionally get to help ground drivers during peak. On call air drivers work in the evening and do mostly air pick ups but some get more hours than EAM drivers. I believe starting pay for part time air drivers is between $12-$13 per hour, not much, BUT they top out in either 3 or 4 year depending I what the new contract says and it between $22 and $24 per hour. When you get enough seniority, then you can drive full time (could take up to 10 years, depending on center you work for, but you can work full time hours as a TCD which is temporary cover driver). Well this is UPS.

So as far as FedEx goes, when I left UPS as a supervisor and went to FedEx, I worked As an FO driver ( first overnight) I started at 16.08 an hour ( fedex drivers are paid based on market area). I do want to warn you, DO NOT GO TO FEDEX. If you want to make real money, go to UPS. You will work hard at UPS but you earn every penny. Full time drivers at UPS last I checked made 32.39 an hour, free benefits and a union to defend you. Yea so what some people say you have to pay union fees, but it's only 2.5 hours a month, it's nothing. If you go to FedEx, be ready to pay for expensive healthcare, be ready to deal with terrible management, and trust me there is more, just keep reading under the FedEx forum. At FedEx, you will get a crapoy raise and plan on reaching top pay in about 20 years. If I was you, I would not even go to the interview for FedEx, but remember it's your decision. I don't work for UPS or FedEX ANYMORE, I am using my college degree. Trust me, UPS is the place to be, FedEx is not. I hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions if you need it.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

I had a PT Preload sup at UPS that moved on. The next time I saw him was he was delivering for FedEx and I was running UPS air stops at the same building.

hypo hanna

Khaled, I worked for both UPS and FedEx and I am gonna try and give you the best advice I can. I've been looking at this website for a long time and I only signed up just so you don't fall into the FedEx trap. I worked at UPS during college, started in 2006 as a package handler, pay was not great but I had free health benefits and had the union protection from management. I never intended on making UPS a career. As I came closer to graduating, I needed extra cash so I went into management. I worked in the local center and we had about 110 drivers. We also had part time air drivers as well and here is what I can tell you about part time air drivers. There are two different types of part time air drivers, EAM drivers and on call air. EAM drivers deliver packages that have a commitment time of 8 AM OR 8:30 in some areas, they don't work a lot of hours but my understanding is that they are guaranteed 3.5 hours per day, and occasionally get to help ground drivers during peak. On call air drivers work in the evening and do mostly air pick ups but some get more hours than EAM drivers. I believe starting pay for part time air drivers is between $12-$13 per hour, not much, BUT they top out in either 3 or 4 year depending I what the new contract says and it between $22 and $24 per hour. When you get enough seniority, then you can drive full time (could take up to 10 years, depending on center you work for, but you can work full time hours as a TCD which is temporary cover driver). Well this is UPS.

So as far as FedEx goes, when I left UPS as a supervisor and went to FedEx, I worked As an FO driver ( first overnight) I started at 16.08 an hour ( fedex drivers are paid based on market area). I do want to warn you, DO NOT GO TO FEDEX. If you want to make real money, go to UPS. You will work hard at UPS but you earn every penny. Full time drivers at UPS last I checked made 32.39 an hour, free benefits and a union to defend you. Yea so what some people say you have to pay union fees, but it's only 2.5 hours a month, it's nothing. If you go to FedEx, be ready to pay for expensive healthcare, be ready to deal with terrible management, and trust me there is more, just keep reading under the FedEx forum. At FedEx, you will get a crapoy raise and plan on reaching top pay in about 20 years. If I was you, I would not even go to the interview for FedEx, but remember it's your decision. I don't work for UPS or FedEX ANYMORE, I am using my college degree. Trust me, UPS is the place to be, FedEx is not. I hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions if you need it.
I agree with everything you said 100% except...

"At FedEx, you will get a crapoy raise and plan on reaching top pay in about 20 years"

I know way too many people with 20 years who are not yet topped out.

PT Car Washer

I will have to disagree about UPS making you work harder. We're talking PT Air Driver here. Not hard work at all. I think of it as a hobby I can make money from.