Part-time?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Mostly drivers, most part timers are either to busy to be on the net, have other priorities to surf something to do with the company, or do not have access to the net.

But many of us have part time experience if that helps.

d

ImpactedTSG

dannyboy said:
Mostly drivers, most part timers are either to busy to be on the net, have other priorities to surf something to do with the company, or do not have access to the net.

But many of us have part time experience if that helps.

d
I would say at least half are techs or former techs. Just a guess by the number of reads and replies in the tech thread.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dear impacted

How many different people have posted on the thread that are actually Info services? Do you have any idea?

Then also tell me the number of members vs the number of actual posters vs the number of lurkers?

So since you have no idea dont assume anything.

Best

d

ImpactedTSG

dannyboy said:
Dear impacted

How many different people have posted on the thread that are actually Info services? Do you have any idea?

Then also tell me the number of members vs the number of actual posters vs the number of lurkers?

So since you have no idea dont assume anything.

Best

d
Just going by the numbers (The UPS way). There are more replies and views in that thread than the first few pages of other threads combined.

Once the announcement was made on Jan 17th about the closing of the TSC, I'm sure the number of visits and new users has risen sharper than ever before. I don't have access to those numbers, but ask a site admin and they can tell you.

But just to make you happy, there are more drivers and teamsters on here and they run the site.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It did the same thing before that when the pilots came on board before the holidays. But just because they posted in droves, and many new people came on board, does not a majority make.

I guess you hit it on the nose, youve been around UPS #'s too long:cool:

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tsg

First let me express my sorrow to see so many good UPSers hit the door. I hope and pray that you all will find better jobs elsewhere.

As to your extrapolation of the numbers of new members to this board, let me give you some interesting information.

By the admin powers invested in me it breaks down like this.

There were 29 posters that were here before Jan, 2006 that posted 30% of the posts.

Then there were 45 registered posters since 2006 that posted on the thread for 39% of the posts. While not all of these were in the tsc or tsg crowd by their own admission, they did post on the thread so they will be counted as TSG, For now that number is insignificant to any of the other discussions.

By far the most posters were the unregistered crowd with "54" posters posting 29% of the posts. The problem with counting these is that it could be all one person, or as many as 54. There is no way to tell. They could also be some of the registered users but used other means to get into the site and did not use the registered name.

So really, as far as new support personnel as members of this site, there are only 45, of which 24 only posted three times or less, with 13 only posting once.

There are at last count I think 1073 registered members, which would put your group at about 4% of the crew here. Even if all of the posters not registered had been different folk, you would at max be 10%.

My best guess is that we have close to 65% drivers, 8-10% retired or the wives of retired, 12-15% management, and the rest divided between part time, support personnel such as yourself etc. But there is no way to know for sure.

Interesting stats though, and I hope you understand that with the stats above, those of us in other jobs really do hate what is happening, and most of all the way it was handled.

Best to you in your future!

d

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
I was just wondering, I'm a part-timer. I think I'm getting ready to be done though. I enjoy the physical work aspect but there are too many decisions from above that cause unparalleled levels of stress.
They don't seem to realize that our priorities don't lie within our part-time jobs but rather our full-time jobs since these are the jobs that pay our bills at the moment.
You'd think that in a company that makes all it's decisions based upon how much money thay can save, they would be more apt to understand this.
I don't know about you all, but I'm not putting my heart and soul into a job for $9 an hour only for that to be the cause for me to be late to a job that pays $20 an hour. Risking disciplinary action and/or termination just so that they can have clean delivery vehicles.
I get an average of 4 hours of sleep a night and then I have an hour drive on the highway in the morning. I find myself dozing off at the wheel at about 80 mph, risking not only my own life but other commuters as well.
Well, I got it off my chest.

CTOTH said:
I don't know about you all, but I'm not putting my heart and soul into a job for $9 an hour only for that to be the cause for me to be late to a job that pays $20 an hour. Risking disciplinary action and/or termination just so that they can have clean delivery vehicles.
I get an average of 4 hours of sleep a night and then I have an hour drive on the highway in the morning. I find myself dozing off at the wheel at about 80 mph, risking not only my own life but other commuters as well.
Well, I got it off my chest.

you can live comfortably with $20/hr. why kill yourself for and extra $9 ?
must be those credit cards, eh?

-a|ex

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Unlike alex, I dont judge someones financial needs. Your business is your business. But you do need to set some priorities. And your safety is one of them.

And you should do it as soon as possible.

That being said, while I was working "part time" at ups (actually between 8-8.5 hours a day) over night, getting off at 9AM, run home and clean up to make it to class 35 miles away by 10, sit in classes till 4 then go to the job at the pizza place four days a week. There were days that I never remembered getting home from school, or the trip to school. Glad that part of my life is over. But at the time, I had to.

d

Hangingon

I still remember trying to read my notes from a lecture after working 11 or 12 hours at night. I was FT preload and trying to carry a full load at school. I managed, but it was a good thing I had friends who took notes instead of nodding off through half the lectures.

opie

What brought you to UPS? Was it for the extra money? Benefits? Opportunity to be a driver in the future? Most part-timers are here for the benefits. Some may also want to go full-time someday, as many are attracted to the salary which a driver makes. Some want to go into p/t management or need education assistance for school. We all have our reasons.

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
My dad works there, he's a driver and the benfits save me $100 a month. Plus, I lost 25 pounds, which I needed to do. The exercise is awesome. I do really enjoy the work. If it was an evironment where you went in, did your job and left, it wouldn't be so stressful. But, when managment is constantly looking over your back and telling you you aren't doing it right or quick enough or don't shut the belt off, keep it going. All so we can wrap up the sort early and go wash trucks for the remainder of the 5 hours. It's 10 degrees outside with cold water all over you and all the doors in the center wide open. That's what drives me nuts.
It also keeps me out of the bar everyday so I'm not blowing my other paycheck on beer and chicken wings, ya know. The money was never a reason for me to be there

I hear ya CTOTH. When I was a UPSer I was doing mornings at the airport on the ramp, then going to class all day. I ended up having to leave brown because I couldn't transfer to another shift. Now I am pt at Fedex Ground, making decent money, but no benefits. I have been at ground for well over a year now, and I am probably going to be getting out. I was offered a sup position, but I am literally cooked from working to pick up constant slack from some of my less motivated co-workers. Like you I love the job, and I have made some really good friends, but the costs are starting to outweigh the benefits. If anything, take pride in the fact that you lasted for a year in a job that most people can't do for two weeks. When people see what I do in the building the usual question is "you do this for how much?" In any case good luck in whatever you do.
WS

Mr. Brown

Brown till retirement!
CTOTH said:
My dad works there, he's a driver and the benfits save me $100 a month. Plus, I lost 25 pounds, which I needed to do. The exercise is awesome. I do really enjoy the work. If it was an evironment where you went in, did your job and left, it wouldn't be so stressful. But, when managment is constantly looking over your back and telling you you aren't doing it right or quick enough or don't shut the belt off, keep it going. All so we can wrap up the sort early and go wash trucks for the remainder of the 5 hours. It's 10 degrees outside with cold water all over you and all the doors in the center wide open. That's what drives me nuts.
It also keeps me out of the bar everyday so I'm not blowing my other paycheck on beer and chicken wings, ya know. The money was never a reason for me to be there
CTOTH, does going full-time interest you at all? It only took me 2 1/2 years to get to full-time driver after signing the bid sheet for the driver class. Are you working part-time to get through school? Being a driver is a good career as I'm sure you already know from your dad. Anyway, good luck at your job (jobs) CTOTH!:thumbup1:

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
I was interested in driving but I think I've pretty much made my mind up. I'm all done, I need some time for leisure (girls and music). I can't even play my guitar but 10 min a day and haven't been able to hold a girlfriend because for some reason they always wanna spend "time" together.
I think I'm going to quit and get a membership to the gym. Thanks for all your replies and help. I'll keep you posted as to when and how I end up quitting.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
"""I need some time for leisure (girls and music). I can't even play my guitar but 10 min a day and haven't been able to hold a girlfriend because for some reason they always wanna spend "time" together.""""

Now theres a guy who knows whats important. Good for you!! Live your life, dont work it away!! Good Luck!!