Part Timer schedule question

I'm a PT courier and my regular schedule is 7:45 - 11:30 T-S. What I'm concerned about is management trying to force me to work extra hours and interfere with my school schedule. Especially when it comes to peak, can they try to hit me with operational needs to extend my day?

dezguy

Here, management cannot force any pt employee to work any hours outside of his or her scheduled hours. They can force ft employees to work an hour more than scheduled.

!Retired!

I was PT for a while (5 years). They can not MAKE you work more than 6 hours in a day. They can ask, but you don't have to. We have handlers now that, when we have late freight, leave before that truck gets there because they have another job, school, kids, etc.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm a PT courier and my regular schedule is 7:45 - 11:30 T-S. What I'm concerned about is management trying to force me to work extra hours and interfere with my school schedule. Especially when it comes to peak, can they try to hit me with operational needs to extend my day?

What Jackal said basically. Operational needs does not apply to PT employees, except for the 6 hours. That means that you could be forced to work from 0745 to 1345. School commitments, second jobs etc. are supposed to be taken into consideration...they are not. If you have a child, they cannot mess with childcare issues, nor can they dismiss FMLA exemptions.

You will be pressured to work, so prepare yourself now to devise a strategy that protects you. If one of your parents or a child has a medical issue, get the FMLA paperwork and "create" a situation that requires you to be off work by a certain time.

They will eff you over, so be prepared to gi