Part timer + Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweatPit

i won't bite
I joined the Union before I started to drive. I got disqualified on my 28th day of driving for late next day air by 3 minutes, yes literally 3 minutes....
I got sent back to the hub to do my old work and I am not making nearly as much money since I am back to part time. I see the union is taking out $8 a check. Thats around $32 a month if its a 4 thursday month. That could pay for my cell phone bill or part of my rent. I could honestly use the extra money....

I am a hard worker that shows up on time, never been writin up or gotten in any sort of trouble. I do not create problems and do the best I can for the meager amount of time I am there. I get along with all my full-time/part-time supervisiors and they appreciate my hard work ethics.

I feel like I do not need the union as a part time worker making hardly any money. Simple as that. :dissapointed:
Any reassurance on to stay or not to stay?

Thanks.

I am a part time employee, in the Union for over 3 1/2 yrs. I recently learned that the Union is forcing UPS to re-bid my Air Driver (EAM) position to a full-time only position. The result is that I will be reclassified to pre-loader, take a 42% pay cut, lose my seniority as an Air Driver and the Union doesn't give a damn. So I have basically been paying the Union to take my job. In my opinion if you are part-time the Union doesn't value or appreciate you, even though they are happy to take your money every week. I am quitting the Union, I am going to use my $13.75 a week dues to pay my Family Y membership instead.

upslarry

Really?? Are you kidding?? You might not feel that the union is the place for you, but you should stay anyway. The teamsters don't always look out for the individual, but they do look out for the interest of all. How do you think you got those health care and pension benefits? The union. Some one once told me "any company that has a union, deserves it". Besides, it was your mistake. Not the unions. Your management team COULD have over looked the late air. They chose not too. Think hard on this decision. I don't think it would be a good one.

22.34life

I am a part time employee, in the Union for over 3 1/2 yrs. I recently learned that the Union is forcing UPS to re-bid my Air Driver (EAM) position to a full-time only position. The result is that I will be reclassified to pre-loader, take a 42% pay cut, lose my seniority as an Air Driver and the Union doesn't give a damn. So I have basically been paying the Union to take my job. In my opinion if you are part-time the Union doesn't value or appreciate you, even though they are happy to take your money every week. I am quitting the Union, I am going to use my $13.75 a week dues to pay my Family Y membership instead.

why dont you bid on this fulltime job?while i understand your situation creating friend/t jobs is what the union is supposed to be all about.it is for the better of everyone to have as many friend/t jobs as possible.Since your paying 13.75/week in union dues you have a little senority and could get this supposed friend/t air driver job.the bottom line is we need as many friend/t jobs at ups as possible.

22.34life

I joined the Union before I started to drive. I got disqualified on my 28th day of driving for late next day air by 3 minutes, yes literally 3 minutes....
I got sent back to the hub to do my old work and I am not making nearly as much money since I am back to part time. I see the union is taking out $8 a check. Thats around $32 a month if its a 4 thursday month. That could pay for my cell phone bill or part of my rent. I could honestly use the extra money....

I am a hard worker that shows up on time, never been writin up or gotten in any sort of trouble. I do not create problems and do the best I can for the meager amount of time I am there. I get along with all my full-time/part-time supervisiors and they appreciate my hard work ethics.

I feel like I do not need the union as a part time worker making hardly any money. Simple as that. :dissapointed:
Any reassurance on to stay or not to stay?

Thanks.
you have really answered your own question,when you went driving you had a union to join right.if every p/t didnt pay dues we would not have a union to join.do you really think if their was not a union at ups as a p/t you would have medical benifits at no cost to you,let me answer for you, you wouldnt.so is 32 dollars a month a fair price to pay for medical benifits,i think it is.i pay $15 a week in dues,thats $60/month sure i could us that money to pay a bill or something else but you have to see the big picture not just the nose on your face.

SweatPit

i won't bite
Not sure why people are expressing anger in this thread.
let me answer for you, you wouldnt.so is 32 dollars a month a fair price to pay for medical benifits
It was free before. All the non union members get the same benefits and pay as a union member. Only + of being in the union is in case you lose your job, you are more able to get it back. I have seen multiple part timers get their job back and they were not even in the union. If I was full-time working in the hub, I would be happy to pay union dues since I would be making 2x more.
Besides, it was your mistake. Not the unions. Your management team COULD have over looked the late air.
I never said it was the Unions mistake, don't put words in my mouth. I could of fought it but decided not to. This thread is about why part timers should have to pay union dues.Even the place that got the late next day air didn't care at all. As for it being my mistake, yes it was. But there is a trick to scan the packages and put it in signature mode and that freezes the time. I never knew this until after it happened. The failure rate of new full time drivers is 9/10. Go figure. Not the job for me I guess.
where are you located ? do you have union health benefits
Same benefits I had before. I did get a car insurance quote with my *teamster code* via GMAC. Twice as much as I pay now. I will stick with Progressive.

UPSGUY72

It was free before. All the non union members get the same benefits and pay as a union member. Only + of being in the union is in case you lose your job, you are more able to get it back. I have seen multiple part timers get their job back and they were not even in the union. If I was full-time working in the hub, I would be happy to pay union dues since I would be making 2x more.

I never said it was the Unions mistake, don't put words in my mouth. I could of fought it but decided not to. This thread is about why part timers should have to pay union dues.Even the place that got the late next day air didn't care at all. As for it being my mistake, yes it was. But there is a trick to scan the packages and put it in signature mode and that freezes the time. I never knew this until after it happened. The failure rate of new full time drivers is 9/10. Go figure. Not the job for me I guess.

Same benefits I had before. I did get a car insurance quote with my *teamster code* via GMAC. Twice as much as I pay now. I will stick with Progressive.

So your trying to tell us that non union people in your building only pay $32 a month for Health insurance. You have got to be joking. Union dues are usually based on how much you make so the more you make the more you pay. In my area it's about 2 3/4 times your hourly rate once a month. I have the best health insurance you can get unless your in congress, I have a pension, job security, pretty dam good pay, etc all because of the union. Now if I wasn't in the union I have to pay about $70-100 a week for Health insurance, have no pension, no job security, and be making half of what I make know if I'm lucky. But than again I'd wouldn't have to pay my union dues.

I understand that you are young and think you now everything someday down the road you will be either thankful for the union or wishing you where still in it. I also understand that $32 is alot of money to you right now so do what everyone else did that started out PT at UPS and go get another job either PT or FT. I use to work a four 10 hr days plus work the preload untill I got a FT driving job.

SweatPit

i won't bite
So your trying to tell us that non union people in your building only pay $32 a month for Health insurance. You have got to be joking. Union dues are usually based on how much you make so the more you make the more you pay. In my area it's about 2 3/4 times your hourly rate once a month. I have the best health insurance you can get unless your in congress, I have a pension, job security, pretty dam good pay, etc all because of the union. Now if I wasn't in the union I have to pay about $70-100 a week for Health insurance, have no pension, no job security, and be making half of what I make know if I'm lucky. But than again I'd wouldn't have to pay my union dues.

I understand that you are young and think you now everything someday down the road you will be either thankful for the union or wishing you where still in it. I also understand that $32 is alot of money to you right now so do what everyone else did that started out PT at UPS and go get another job either PT or FT. I use to work a four 10 hr days plus work the preload untill I got a FT driving job.
No no no.... I never said that. Non union people do not have to pay ANYTHING for their health benefits. Yeah, I am looking for another part-time job at the moment.

22.34life

now that you have posted this i will proced to blast you,so you want to reap the benefits that the union gives you like free medical benefits, union representation,a package car job that would have paid you $29/hour had you not screwed up and i dont care how you cut it late air is late air.you just dont want to pay for the these things that the union provides for you like the rest of us do is that right.you like so many other people want to ride for free,but remember in life nobody rides for free.Im glad you lost your driver job,now someone who has payed dues from day one can get it ,someone who really deserves it, not some freerider who runs to jump on the bandwagon when he gets a friend/t job or gets in trouble.you fail to see the big picture the more people like you that infect ups is getting the teamsters one step closer to being out of ups,you are a cancer and will spread like one,hope your terminated soon.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
now that you have posted this i will proced to blast you,so you want to reap the benefits that the union gives you like free medical benefits, union representation,a package car job that would have paid you $29/hour had you not screwed up and i dont care how you cut it late air is late air.you just dont want to pay for the these things that the union provides for you like the rest of us do is that right.you like so many other people want to ride for free,but remember in life nobody rides for free.Im glad you lost your driver job,now someone who has payed dues from day one can get it ,someone who really deserves it, not some freerider who runs to jump on the bandwagon when he gets a friend/t job or gets in trouble.you fail to see the big picture the more people like you that infect ups is getting the teamsters one step closer to being out of ups,you are a cancer and will spread like one,hope your terminated soon.

Blasting 101:::

Spaces between your Digs............

Make your Points and add some of these!!!!!!!!

Consider different fonts for effect

SweatPit

i won't bite
Wow talk about personal issues. Must be that time of the month eh?
hoffa-obama.jpg

Lawlz

Status
Not open for further replies.