Part Timers, 5.5 hrs vs get your job done

TxRoadDawg

Simple question since we are all salary. Would you rather finish your stuff and go versus being stuck for 5.5 hours a day doing whatever. After years of 2% raises only incentive I have to work faster is to leave sooner. Doesn't make any sense personally to bust everything out then get fed a line of 'well your done early, go help sluggo do their job' until your 5.5 is over. This ESPECIALLY after getting the weekly "NO UNAPPROVED EXTRA TIME" mantra. Personally I'd rather bust it out and leave myself and waste the spare time on what I enjoy doing:devil3:.

curiousbrain

I am employed in a small operation, and so I have the fortune (and occasional misfortune) of knowing everyone; if I had the extra time, I'd put in the 5.5 to help any one of them. Only problem is, they give me 7.5 hours of work so I don't have the time.

Evil

Simple question since we are all salary. Would you rather finish your stuff and go versus being stuck for 5.5 hours a day doing whatever. After years of 2% raises only incentive I have to work faster is to leave sooner. Doesn't make any sense personally to bust everything out then get fed a line of 'well your done early, go help sluggo do their job' until your 5.5 is over. This ESPECIALLY after getting the weekly "NO UNAPPROVED EXTRA TIME" mantra. Personally I'd rather bust it out and leave myself and waste the spare time on what I enjoy doing:devil3:.

I have news for you. You supervisors don't slug anything. The hard working hourly teamsters are the ones who bust their tails.

TxRoadDawg

I have news for you. You supervisors don't slug anything. The hard working hourly teamsters are the ones who bust their tails.
LMAO yea thats IF they show up, IF they arent late, IF they dont have to take 3 ****s a day on the clock,IF they arent dragging ass in from the nbreak area 5 minutes late, IF they decide to do their job without 5 misloads a night, etc etc

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Sounds eerily like an hourly working fast and getting punished by having to help someone else.

curiousbrain

Sounds eerily like an hourly working fast and getting punished by having to help someone else.

This. Times a million. For all the horse stool about management not being union, it's really no different - the capable people are given slightly more "authority" (which is generally an illusion anyway), and a ridiculous workload. And, at some point, they burn out - then some new sucker steps up, and it's the same deal all over again. I could write a dissertation on this topic, but I'll just leave it at that.

TxRoadDawg

Yea guess thats true. Every op has those pos's that should never have made seniority, only thing to do is work the good ones harder. you would THINK on the management side tho they would weed out the pieces of crap along the way.

menotyou

bella amicizia
LMAO yea thats IF they show up, IF they arent late, IF they dont have to take 3 ****s a day on the clock,IF they arent dragging ass in from the nbreak area 5 minutes late, IF they decide to do their job without 5 misloads a night, etc etc
You hired him.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
5.5 vs. making it happen?

depends on your boss and the job

with my boss and my job, i'd live at my building if i could get away with it

old boss in preload? LOL no i cant stay and help with airs, i have to go drink myself to sleep with scotch

BLACKBALLED

You had 30 days to observe and decide to qualify employee or not. Now its your problem.

That is not true, when I was sup. and an employee did not work out and I tried to let him go, the Manager would have a fit as well as HR, they were more worried about the numbers being met and how bad it looked on the manager, so if you have never been a sup. you should not comment because there is a lot more to deal with that hrlys. dont have to or know about.

BearcatShane09

Package Handler
The problem with some hourlys is that they do everything right at first, always show up and are on time, have a positive attitude, work hard.. But then they get to know the company a bit and realize that after the 30 days they can do whatever they want with very little or no consequence. I'm an hourly and I haven't missed a day of work in about a half year. The other day I went up to my sup and was like do you know why I haven't had an occurance in 7 months? He said no why and I told him I'll be taking two days a month off from April to September so I can play golf. It was funny but he knows there will absolutely be no consequence.

menotyou

bella amicizia
That is not true, when I was sup. and an employee did not work out and I tried to let him go, the Manager would have a fit as well as HR, they were more worried about the numbers being met and how bad it looked on the manager, so if you have never been a sup. you should not comment because there is a lot more to deal with that hrlys. dont have to or know about.
Point being, you have the right to fire said employee. It's not our fault that your numbers are more important than have employees you can be proud of.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The problem with some hourlys is that they do everything right at first, always show up and are on time, have a positive attitude, work hard.. But then they get to know the company a bit and realize that after the 30 days they can do whatever they want with very little or no consequence. I'm an hourly and I haven't missed a day of work in about a half year. The other day I went up to my sup and was like do you know why I haven't had an occurance in 7 months? He said no why and I told him I'll be taking two days a month off from April to September so I can play golf. It was funny but he knows there will absolutely be no consequence.
Art 7, discharge and panel. Employee is gone.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
First, I thought this was about pt sups?

Secondly, salary is salary.....upper management can kiss my ass if they try to hold the "we're paying you for 5.5" bs to keep me around after I've completed all of my duties like I'm an hourly with a 'guarantee'. My salary is budgeted, so who cares if I work 4 or the full 5.5?

With that being said, I consider my 'duties' to include helping out my other PT sups finish. This should be normal, not the exception. But if there is nothing left to do, everything is complete, and it just so happens to be only 4.5 hours of my planned 5.5......oh well! That's the whole benefit of having a salary......

#menotyou
I couldn't have said it better myself. I wish I could say my hourly employees "busy their tails" but that is far from true. I would like to add the lame excuses (although entertaining to hear what they come up with) lack of personal accountability, and working sluggishly all night then complaining they can't leave yet.