Part timers helping drivers

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I am a PT package handler on our PM sort that signed up for driver helper. Today I was called to go "jump" for a driver and I did that, but when I got to the sort my sup said i have to go home after only 30 mins of sort-time. I asked for my 3.5 and was told i've already gone over my gurantee. I've looked through my handbook and all I found is "Must be able to perform inside duties." The thing is i met with our main building steward before jumping today and he told me that driver helping does not count toward my 3.5 gurantee, but my sup and center manager says otherwise. So who is right? Guys on preload get to work over 3.5 and then jump for another 4hrs sometimes, while us on the PM side 3.5 is not only the guranteed minimum but also the MAXIMUM. (we're told that if its close to your 3.5 start heading for the time-clock)

Helper time absolutely does not count towards your regular shift guarantee. You need to file the grievance for your 3.5hrs as soon as you get to work tomorrow.

whiskers

Grievance retaliation is against the law. If you can get someone to back up your claim you should put that quote on paper and take it to your Bussiness agent. Don't let the copany push you around, if they see thay can they will!!

Thank you for that advice, and serious answer to my question. I will give my BA a call.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I would reconsider filing that grievance. They don't have to let you work the "driver helper" job, take what you can get as far as the hours go, but you may find those hours disappearing if you file that grievance. Also, I've heard that your supervisor can reserve you for your "main" job. For example; if driver-helping would interfere with the hours you are suppose to work as a package handler, your "main" job as a package handler takes priority and can disqualify you from driver-helping.

Another piece of very poor advice. They absolutely MUST let you be a helper if your seniority dictates it. As I stated above, file the grievance for the 3.5 and if they don't let you jump after that, file for all time worked by anyone with less seniority than you!!

whiskey

File your grievance against the division manager. He's the guy that hired this maroon. Going above the center manager and outside your building gets results in a hurry. Been there done that.