Part-Timers Hired after Aug. 1st Pay Raises

Variance

Hello BCers!
While I have enjoyed reading the forums, this is obviously my first post and I've been trying to find the answer to a question that I can't find anywhere.

I've been working at UPS for about 6 months now and most people have had a pay raise first of this month. I've looked through the Master's contract and only found the annually pay scale (article 22 Section 5) for PT'ers but nothing really clearly mentioning the contract pay raises for people hired after August 1st, 2008. Could anyone clear up my confusion about when/if PT'ers hired after August 1st will get the contract raises? I kinda assumed since everything now is "after 1 year" that the raises would be the same.

Thanks!

backinbrown

respect my authority
Hello BCers!
While I have enjoyed reading the forums, this is obviously my first post and I've been trying to find the answer to a question that I can't find anywhere.

I've been working at UPS for about 6 months now and most people have had a pay raise first of this month. I've looked through the Master's contract and only found the annually pay scale (article 22 Section 5) for PT'ers but nothing really clearly mentioning the contract pay raises for people hired after August 1st, 2008. Could anyone clear up my confusion about when/if PT'ers hired after August 1st will get the contract raises? I kinda assumed since everything now is "after 1 year" that the raises would be the same.

Thanks!

not sure i am trying to look it up

brownrodster

Your raise will come yearly on the anniversary of your hire. If you are still around when we get a new contract your raises will occur on the august 1st and Feb 1st (if we still split raises) schedule.

From the contract:

Hourly Rate
Preloader Sorter All Others
Start $9.50 $ 8.50
Start plus ninety (90) calendar days $10.00 $10.50 $ 9.00 $9.50
Seniority plus one (1) year $10.50$11.00 $ 9.50
$10.00
Seniority plus two (2) years $11.00 $11.50 $10.00
$10.50
Seniority plus three (3) years $11.50 $12.00 $10.50
$11.00
Seniority plus four (4) years $12.25 $12.87 $11.25
$11.87
Employees working high volume direct or low volume direct shall receive the preloader/sorter rates.
(c) The wage rates and increases provided in (a) and (b) shall be a minimum.
(d) All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and onehalf
(3-1/2) hour guarantee.
Section 6. Part-Time Employee Transfer
Part-time employees who wish to transfer to another location for educational purposes may submit a
written request to the Employer. If approved, the transfer shall be allowed subject to the following
conditions:

brownrodster

I just copied and pasted that from the link on the left.

Basically you get a .50$ per year raise. And then the raise for your fourth year is 75 cents.

simplified.

90 days - starting pay plus 50 cents
1 year - another 50 cent raise
2 years - 50 cents
3 years - 50 cents
4 years - 75 cents

gandydancer

Browncafe's version of the '07-'13 contract is confusing because of the missing strikeouts. The version at http://www.makeupsdeliver.org/e107_files/downloads/ups_tentative_agreement.pdf is better. And brownrodster's answer is true without really clearly answering Variance's question.

Bluntly, Variance, it appears you don't get any of the contract raises.

When I was hired we got both seniority and contract raises, so that, e.g., I might go to $9 on my seniority date (Jan 3rd), go to $9.60 on the contract anniversary (August 1st), then go to the next seniority step, $10, the following Jan 3rd (all plus $0.35 shift differential and skilled sort/preloader $1, if due).

But as part of the continued screw job of new hires in each successive contract, not only are they still getting 1980 wages but they get no contract anniversary wage increases, at least as I read it. Thank all you "yes" voters.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Browncafe's version of the '07-'13 contract is confusing because of the missing strikeouts. The version at http://www.makeupsdeliver.org/e107_files/downloads/ups_tentative_agreement.pdf is better. And brownrodster's answer is true without really clearly answering Variance's question.

Bluntly, Variance, it appears you don't get any of the contract raises.

When I was hired we got both seniority and contract raises, so that, e.g., I might go to $9 on my seniority date (Jan 3rd), go to $9.60 on the contract anniversary (August 1st), then go to the next seniority step, $10, the following Jan 3rd (all plus $0.35 shift differential and skilled sort/preloader $1, if due).

But as part of the continued screw job of new hires in each successive contract, not only are they still getting 1980 wages but they get no contract anniversary wage increases, at least as I read it. Thank all you "yes" voters.

asking with respect and curiosity

did you vote?

chopstic

I never heard the article "d"
(d) All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and onehalf
(3-1/2) hour guarantee.

can someone please elaborate on this because my raises are governed by this article yet I only receive a 3 hour guarantee, our sunrise shift is also governed by this and they receive no hourly guarantee.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I never heard the article "d"
(3-1/2) hour guarantee.

can someone please elaborate on this because my raises are governed by this article yet I only receive a 3 hour guarantee, our sunrise shift is also governed by this and they receive no hourly guarantee.

I can't see that

(1) unless your supplement has additional language that overrides the master,
(2) your local is making side-deals with mgmnt (unlikely) or
(3) you are straight up being lied to by your managers and believing every word of it, to their benefit

chopstic

Blah... Everytime I want to research something I can never find it online. Has anyone found an online link to the Western States agreement or the individual riders. They use to be posted on teamsters website but i can no longer find them.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Blah... Everytime I want to research something I can never find it online. Has anyone found an online link to the Western States agreement or the individual riders. They use to be posted on teamsters website but i can no longer find them.
Chop, if you have a 3 hour guarantee, you must work at in an air operation or as an air driver. If so yes you only have a 3 hour guarantee. Look under article 40.

Dark_Team_135

They actually get a $1.00 raise after the first 90 days now...that was changed from the .50$ in the prior contract....

I just copied and pasted that from the link on the left.

Basically you get a .50$ per year raise. And then the raise for your fourth year is 75 cents.

simplified.

90 days - starting pay plus 50 cents
1 year - another 50 cent raise
2 years - 50 cents
3 years - 50 cents
4 years - 75 cents

JonFrum

They actually get a $1.00 raise after the first 90 days now...that was changed from the .50$ in the prior contract....
Correct.

And the final year raise is actually 87 cents, not 75 cents.

Start . . . . .$8.50
90 Days . . . 9.50
1 Years . . . 10.00
2 Years . . . 10.50
3 Years . . . 11.00
4 Years . . . 11.87

A part-timer can add a dollar per hour to any of those rates if he/she works in the Preloader/Sorter pay scale, instead of the All Other pay scale.

gandydancer

asking with respect and curiosity

did you vote?

Against. So did a large majority of my local, as it happens. With local Teamster officialdom not benefitting from the $billions going to keep Central States afloat and available for double dipping there was no one motivated to obscure the fact that the wage increases stunk. Would like to think screw-the-new-hires-again was a factor, but probably not.

evilleace

You should have gotten a dollar raise 90 days after your seniority date, and then you will receive all other raises on your anniversary date until a new contract and then it might change depending on what the contract says.

robbdogg75

How about my situation. I was hired and started training July 28th 2008. Me and my family got full medical/dental after 2 months under the old contract but I didn't receive any pay raises. Do I fall under the old or new contract when it comes to raises? I did get the 1.00 raise after 90 days. Just curious because none of my sups seem to know the right answer.

evilleace

You should have been a seasonal hire in July at least you would have been here in 710 so you would be under the new contact.

iowa boy

How about my situation. I was hired and started training July 28th 2008. Me and my family got full medical/dental after 2 months under the old contract but I didn't receive any pay raises. Do I fall under the old or new contract when it comes to raises? I did get the 1.00 raise after 90 days. Just curious because none of my sups seem to know the right answer.
Robb,

The way I understand the contract based on what you wrote, you were hired under the provisions of the old contract, (thus receiving medical/dental after two months), but your pay rates are determined under the new contract as you hit your seniority after the financial part of the contract took effect. Your next raise should be on your one year anniversary with the company. Please remember, this is only my interpretation of the contract as I am not a union steward. If one of the stewards sees this, they should be able to give a more definitive answer than I.

ih8tbrn

Banned
Against. So did a large majority of my local, as it happens. With local Teamster officialdom not benefitting from the $billions going to keep Central States afloat and available for double dipping there was no one motivated to obscure the fact that the wage increases stunk. Would like to think screw-the-new-hires-again was a factor, but probably not.

I think it's odd that everybody claims they voted no, but it seemed to have passed with no problem.

robbdogg75

Robb,

The way I understand the contract based on what you wrote, you were hired under the provisions of the old contract, (thus receiving medical/dental after two months), but your pay rates are determined under the new contract as you hit your seniority after the financial part of the contract took effect. Your next raise should be on your one year anniversary with the company. Please remember, this is only my interpretation of the contract as I am not a union steward. If one of the stewards sees this, they should be able to give a more definitive answer than I.

Thanks iowa boy, thats what I was leaning towards but never could get any 2 alike answers at work. All of this just blows my mind. They told me at Thanksgiving and Christmas that I don't get paid holidays or receive vacation till after 1yr but in Janruary I received 8hrs VAC on my paystub. Confused once again :)