Part-Timers Petition for a Fair Contract

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The petition letter is far too general. Where are the specifics? For example, "raise starting wage for part-timers". OK, how much? How many part-timers would be willing to waive their insurance for a significant bump in their hourly pay? "Stop production harassment" and "Create more full time jobs" are both much too general.

whiskers

The petition letter is far too general. Where are the specifics? For example, "raise starting wage for part-timers". OK, how much? How many part-timers would be willing to waive their insurance for a significant bump in their hourly pay? "Stop production harassment" and "Create more full time jobs" are both much too general.

I agree that the letter is too general. And, I don't have the answers to your questions. I can only hope that the IBT will have favorable specifics during the contract negotiations.

OptimusPrime

"Starting pay for part-timers is just $8.50 an hour. That's below minimum wage in some areas. It's ridiculous."

Interesting. Two states exceed the federal mandate. Oregon at $8.80 and Washington at $9.04. Learn something new everyday. Though I wonder if it's harder to find work in Washington. Seems we have no shortage of people lining up here to slave away for $8.50 an hour.

S

splozi

I don't attend meetings or participate in union activities because as much as I do belong to a club, I really do not want to belong to a club. I'm not a people person. I don't like... people. I don't want to sit next to a person, or hear them breath.

Unfortunately, with UPS being the way it is, I don't have much of a choice but to pay the mob a weekly bribe for some protection, or at least the idea of protection.

whiskers

I don't attend meetings or participate in union activities because as much as I do belong to a club, I really do not want to belong to a club. I'm not a people person. I don't like... people. I don't want to sit next to a person, or hear them breath.

Unfortunately, with UPS being the way it is, I don't have much of a choice but to pay the mob a weekly bribe for some protection, or at least the idea of protection.

Are you happy with your current pay rate? Are you happy with your current working conditions? You don't have to be a people person to call your business agent, or to vote. I'm not saying that doing either of these things will change anything, but they could.

S

splozi

Are you happy with your current pay rate? Are you happy with your current working conditions? You don't have to be a people person to call your business agent, or to vote. I'm not saying that doing either of these things will change anything, but they could.

I am happy with -my- pay rate, as I will be making 11.50 by the start of peak this year, and I'm content with the working conditions. A lot of formally uneducated, low wage workers bitch about their job. So it's kind of silly to ask these people if they are happy. I'm only whiny about it in the morning before I go out the door. After that I'm good. I guess I'm pretty unhappy by the end of the morning because my shorts are so soaked with sweat that the weight is pulling them down... but there's not much UPS can do about that.

Where does one typically go to vote? Are there any estimates about when this vote will be taking place? Where does one find out information about what is being voted on? Is the vote a simple yes or no?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The voting is done from the comfort of your own home. It is a simple "yes" or "no" and, yes, you part-timers can use crayons.

whiskers, don't bother calling your BA. The voting process has been in place for some time and works quite well. The key is to make sure the union has your current mailing address and that it is correct. Then it is up to the member to follow the directions on the ballot and cast their vote. Voting at work would not make sense.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
"you part-timers can use crayons"
Yo Dave that hurts .Should we use the jumbo's from the basic box or maybe a cadet blue from the expanded 64 color box ? At $8.50 an hour and the IBT initiation fee in mind some of the newbies may have to borrow a crayon.
PS Crayola was founded in Easton,Pa not that far from Pottsville ,Pa We Pt'ers can have a cold Yuengling while we color in our ballots.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Sounds to me like you are getting exactly what you put in.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
And you full timers can write with your own blood?

I've been there, and I effing love Yuengling. It's my favorite "light" beer. I wish I could get that stuff in Oklahoma. I hate you for living near there.

Be nice to US every site needs it's resident cynic and self professed know it all. How else could we measure ourselves unless we have someone to compare ourselves to ?
PS Yuegling is good stuff. Go to the beer thread on "Life After Brown". Have some in the frig now along with Shock Top and Goose Island Summertime.

Logb17

I find that shirt funny, you started work at UPS knowing it was a PT job. UPS has no obligation to create more time jobs. You knew coming in what the pay scale was. You get a pension and health insurance. It is odd that I started at 9.50 12 years ago, now its 8.50. Times are tough now though. A UPS PT job shouldn't be your only source of income.