Part-Timers

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
What are the double shifting opportunities like in your center?

One of biggest reasons people quit the part time gig, rarely a full time job. When one does open up there are many in line to take its place and goes quickly.

I wish drivers would take their opportunity more as a blessing then a curse.

laffter

I double shifted for two weeks recently. A bunch of people were on vacation. And other people knew that, didn't want to have the extra work dumped on them, and decided not to show up on random days. Funny how that works. Now they're only letting preload people come in to twilight on Mondays, which is their heavy day. They won't be needing any extra help regularly until peak, I hear.

Whatever shift you are looking into coming in for - call sometime during that shift and ask.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
What are the double shifting opportunities like in your center?
Virtually non-existent. I got to pull a double for the first time this year the Tuesday after Labor Day because the volume was through the roof. Last peak season, they actually had sups pulling doubles in the hub instead of allowing hourlies to work.. not happening this year.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I double shifted for two weeks recently. A bunch of people were on vacation. And other people knew that, didn't want to have the extra work dumped on them, and decided not to show up on random days. Funny how that works. Now they're only letting preload people come in to twilight on Mondays, which is their heavy day. They won't be needing any extra help regularly until peak, I hear.

Whatever shift you are looking into coming in for - call sometime during that shift and ask.

Thats because a lot of the workers here are only working for the benefits. They often work other jobs, or have a sugar momma or daddy at home. For most it will always be about the bennies or the college. Yet, those often seem to be the ones who make it into full time jobs. Most likely, because they arnt the ones killing themselves for few extra bones each week.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Virtually non-existent. I got to pull a double for the first time this year the Tuesday after Labor Day because the volume was through the roof. Last peak season, they actually had sups pulling doubles in the hub instead of allowing hourlies to work.. not happening this year.

Within senority, doubles will come. With outrageous volume, it will come as well. This last labor day, a hurricane came threw the eastern part of the country. Volume slowed all over the country. Then it picked up in outrageous amounts. I've heard stories of people getting 5+-6+ hours in a couple of days.

I was once offered a double in the past, during the day. To fill trackers of slowed volume for the next day. Once I've had my shower and a meal, I'm done for the day. They dont do you any favors, why should you?

laffter

I actually didn't sign any bid list to work the second shift. I think you are technically supposed to. The shift manage even told me I should, but I never did. During those couple of weeks, they accepted anyone who showed up from preload.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Within senority, doubles will come. With outrageous volume, it will come as well. This last labor day, a hurricane came threw the eastern part of the country. Volume slowed all over the country. Then it picked up in outrageous amounts. I've heard stories of people getting 5+-6+ hours in a couple of days. I was once offered a double in the past, during the day. To fill trackers of slowed volume for the next day. Once I've had my shower and a meal, I'm done for the day. They dont do you any favors, why should you?
Trust me, it's not an issue of seniority. They weren't even letting PT guys with 20+ years work doubles.. our division manager is simply a :censored2:bag. Granted, this was a different story back in '06-07, when we could pull double shifts at will.

U

uber

Trust me, it's not an issue of seniority. They weren't even letting PT guys with 20+ years work doubles.. our division manager is simply a :censored2:bag. Granted, this was a different story back in '06-07, when we could pull double shifts at will.

Did they grieve it?

Getting extra work is a seniority thing.

U

uber

Wow, sounds like my hub is a lot better than most of yours. Its a large hub, if you got a couple years in you can double almost any time you want during peak season. Since June I've been double shifting atleast 1-2 shifts per week, sometimes 3.

Its setup really nice here, anything after 5 shifts in a week is a OT. So, if I double twice that means Thurs-Friday are OT. I can make close to $500 a week. Times like these are why I'm glad I don't have another PT job right now. But, I know come January there's a possibility the opportunities could dry up.

DiligentUPSer

Double-shifting opportunities are virtually non-existent here outside of peak season. And even during peak I have seen those opportunities dry up over the last few years. On another note, for those who have double-shifted outside of peak, have you coincidentally been shorted on your paychecks on for which you double-shifted and were supposed to receive OT?:sneaky2:

laffter

On another note, for those who have double-shifted outside of peak, have you coincidentally been shorted on your paychecks on for which you double-shifted and were supposed to receive OT?:sneaky2:

I posted about this in another thread. But yes. One week I was shorted exactly 1.00 hours. I requested a printout of my timecard from that second shift and discovered that three of the five days had totally different start/end times than my personal record showed, the difference being 1.00 hours. The sup very quickly offered to add that hour onto a future day. The following week's check was spot on, to the minute. The week after was also correct, and the 1-hour was added as promised.

YourBoss

Non existant except for the select few guys I'll call in to help us out. For them it's almost 3 days + a week they are working preload and local.

DiligentUPSer

I posted about this in another thread. But yes. One week I was shorted exactly 1.00 hours. I requested a printout of my timecard from that second shift and discovered that three of the five days had totally different start/end times than my personal record showed, the difference being 1.00 hours. The sup very quickly offered to add that hour onto a future day. The following week's check was spot on, to the minute. The week after was also correct, and the 1-hour was added as promised.

Interesting, yet not surprising. I did a double a while back with 4 others. Well, I got paid for 30 minutes of the 2 1/2 hours of OT that I worked. I talked with two of the others who also doubled on that same night and they also were shorted on the OT they worked that night. I did not take it to be a mere coincidence. I generally try to get in all the hours I can on a nightly basis, but when recently asked about doubling, I had to decline with this as the sole reason.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Interesting, yet not surprising. I did a double a while back with 4 others. Well, I got paid for 30 minutes of the 2 1/2 hours of OT that I worked. I talked with two of the others who also doubled on that same night and they also were shorted on the OT they worked that night. I did not take it to be a mere coincidence. I generally try to get in all the hours I can on a nightly basis, but when recently asked about doubling, I had to decline with this as the sole reason.

When you double OT doesn't start until you have worked 8 hours.

U

uber

In my region, any extra shift you pick up is added to the weeks worth of shifts and anything after 5 shifts in a week is OT. If you double-shift 3 times in a week, your final 3 shifts are OT. It works out nicely.