Part timers

air_dr

How about instead of a two-tier wage, have the raises drivers get be whatever the rate of inflation is.

I do feel that drivers earn a good wage, and I could possibly go along with keeping it at the same level (in constant dollars), but I could never see myself agreeing to anything resembling wage cuts.

InsideUPS

There is a new member who goes by the name of InsideUPS. I urge you to read some of his posts----you will see that I am not alone when I say that we will see this implemented, if not in 2013, then most certainly in 2018.

Hello Upstate NYUPSer...... thank you for the reference........but please know that my opinions are just that...opinions.. My comments about the Two-Tier possibility within the full-time driving ranks is based on talking with many other drivers and getting a sense of how they feel about various issues. I'm sure each Local and Region can vary in opinions on this subject. I'm from a time when I observed a major wage tier change in the part-time ranks.. Some of which are now referred to as "Red Circled".

I believed at the time that a two-tier wage scale had the potential to create a lot of problems (resentment, jealousy, etc.) between employees. While I believe that Unity is the essential backbone of any Union...... I just don't see it where I work. It is a ME world....and most people just don't seem to care about their fellow worker of workers in future generations..... Again.. I truly wish things were different...I'm just reporting my observations and experiences. There is NO AMOUNT of intimidation that can occur on this forum that will change reality.

UPS is a cold, lifeless entity (Corporation) much like the HAL 9000 of 2001 Space Odyssy or the Red Queen of Resident Evil (the Umbrella Corporation).......We are ALL (Management & Hourly) working for this entity that will ALWAYS strive to make profits regardless of emotion, job loss, cuts, etc.. In reality.....it is absolutely essential that UPS survives........so that we all can survive. The tricky part is sorting out the balance of those that both take and give to the existence of this entity. I believe there are a variety of "checks and balances" within UPS..... Eventually....the bad are eliminated.......but not without cost to innocent people. UPS fortunately has very deep pockets which enables it to make mistakes....and still survive... I am sure most of you here can point out times when UPS has been "Penny Wise....and Pound Foolish"...

U

uber

You can forget the uniform allowance---we don't even get that. You can write off the money you spend on work boots on your taxes if you itemize.

How would a bidding process help the part-timers? Aren't jobs assigned by seniority?

Wow, that is a real sacrifice to give the PT'ers starting out an extra buck an hour.....

As far as the wages, I agree, which is why I would like to see the starting wage bumped to $10/hr ($15/hr in lieu of benefits). This would be paid for with the money the company will save when they implement the two-tiered wage for new FT drivers.

Wow, that is a real sacrifice to give the PT'ers an extra buck an hour.....

Last edited by a moderator:
U

uber

Hello Upstate NYUPSer...... thank you for the reference........but please know that my opinions are just that...opinions.. My comments about the Two-Tier possibility within the full-time driving ranks is based on talking with many other drivers and getting a sense of how they feel about various issues. I'm sure each Local and Region can vary in opinions on this subject. I'm from a time when I observed a major wage tier change in the part-time ranks.. Some of which are now referred to as "Red Circled".

I believed at the time that a two-tier wage scale had the potential to create a lot of problems (resentment, jealousy, etc.) between employees. While I believe that Unity is the essential backbone of any Union...... I just don't see it where I work. It is a ME world....and most people just don't seem to care about their fellow worker of workers in future generations..... Again.. I truly wish things were different...I'm just reporting my observations and experiences. There is NO AMOUNT of intimidation that can occur on this forum that will change reality.

UPS is a cold, lifeless entity (Corporation) much like the HAL 9000 of 2001 Space Odyssy or the Red Queen of Resident Evil (the Umbrella Corporation).......We are ALL (Management & Hourly) working for this entity that will ALWAYS strive to make profits regardless of emotion, job loss, cuts, etc.. In reality.....it is absolutely essential that UPS survives........so that we all can survive. The tricky part is sorting out the balance of those that both take and give to the existence of this entity. I believe there are a variety of "checks and balances" within UPS..... Eventually....the bad are eliminated.......but not without cost to innocent people. UPS fortunately has very deep pockets which enables it to make mistakes....and still survive... I am sure most of you here can point out times when UPS has been "Penny Wise....and Pound Foolish"...

Why are you talking to people like you're some kind of robo-poster?

rudy5150

Thanks insideups for your insight on many issues. I really feel that part timers have been left behind in the past couple contracts. How bout a $2 bump for all pters then $1 a yr no split raise. Full timers 50 cent split raise every year. Part timers are sufferring the most not the 80 grand a yr full time drivers

PT Car Washer

Thanks insideups for your insight on many issues. I really feel that part timers have been left behind in the past couple contracts. How bout a $2 bump for all pters then $1 a yr no split raise. Full timers 50 cent split raise every year. Part timers are sufferring the most not the 80 grand a yr full time drivers

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How about instead of a two-tier wage, have the raises drivers get be whatever the rate of inflation is.

I do feel that drivers earn a good wage, and I could possibly go along with keeping it at the same level (in constant dollars), but I could never see myself agreeing to anything resembling wage cuts.

U realize with historical inflation that puts us at $1 or more per hour raise every year?

rudy5150

I say $2 raise for all part timers, they have been left behind in the past 2 contracts. Not just new hires. If it came down to it, I believe the current part timers deserve the raise more than the new hires but i still think $ 2 raise for all pters is the way to go.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Rudy....welcome to UPS and thank you for taking the time to become interested in your working conditions at UPS.

The first thing that I urge all new employees to do is to become familiar with what a Union is and what it can and cannot do for you. I also urge you to to try and understand what UPS is as a Corporation. By fully understanding what two entities you are involved with, you will be better prepared to deal with your career at UPS....whether it be as a Union member or eventually as a member of the management team. So with that said...let me answer your specific questions........

Q1) Do I think that the Union will ever negotiate a uniform (work shoe) allowance?...
A1) While I don't think it's impossible....I do believe it is highly unlikely...

Q2) "Also why dont part timers have bidding rights like full timers? We all pay union dues"
A2) I suggest you obtain a copy your contract book and read the contract language......I believe that you will find that you do have bidding rights to the extent outlined in the particular language that you are interested in.

IMPORTANT NOTE..... a GENERAL course in Contract Language 101 (National Master...Region Supplements...and State and Local Rider) is essential in fully understanding your rights as a Union member. Each and every Region, State, and Local can have their own agreements and "Letters of Understanding". I say this to prevent you from taking language "out of context" and falsely believing you have language to support your argument. Furthermore, contract language from your Local can override Master contract language outlined in front of the book... (unless otherwise stated in the Master Language).

CAUTION: Your Local Business Agent has complete authority to make agreements with UPS which may seem contrary to the contract language written in the book. Simply read any grievance form and you will see that each person filing a grievance is giving his BA the right to negotiate for him or her. As a supplement to that statement..... Each and every Union member also has the right to file a lawsuit against his or her Local IF they do not feel that they have been represented properly. This is where Labor Law attorneys come in. Only in extreme cases does this occur.

P.S.... As some have mentioned...... In all likelihood, you will not be able to write off your work shoes on Schedule A (Itemize). (there is a threshold floor amount that is too great for most individuals) i.e. the amount of your Standard Deduction will most likely not be exceeded.

So....best of luck with your career at UPS or whatever you choose to pursue in life...

Good post.
I don't think the Company would ever provide us a shoe allowance without wanting to dictate the shoes we wear. That would be fine with me if it was limited to Redwings or similar sturdy leather American boots, but what if it's something along the lines of Cintas Finest Chinese Old Tire Shoe? No thanks.

PT Car Washer

I say $2 raise for all part timers, they have been left behind in the past 2 contracts. Not just new hires. If it came down to it, I believe the current part timers deserve the raise more than the new hires but i still think $ 2 raise for all pters is the way to go.

A $2.00 an hour bump would put some PTers ahead of top driver pay. Already make $5.00 an hour more than Article 22.3

rudy5150

If any part timer is at or beyond top driver pay they prolly have atleast 30 yrs service at ups. Big deal if they make that rate for a yr or 2 before retirement. They are still only getting 20 hrs a week compared to a drivers 50. Who makes $5 more than 22.3?

PT Car Washer

If any part timer is at or beyond top driver pay they prolly have atleast 30 yrs service at ups. Big deal if they make that rate for a yr or 2 before retirement. They are still only getting 20 hrs a week compared to a drivers 50. Who makes $5 more than 22.3?
$30.22 an hour unskilled current pay rate. Took a $1.05 cut in pay to go to the car wash like 20 years ago. Wife told me it was a bad idea and not to do it.

Brownslave688

So do u want a one time $2 an hour raise? Every year $2 an hour or $.50 an hour for 4 years?

Do u understand as a percentage your talking about a 10-20% raise for most part timers. That's a very unrealistic raise.

rudy5150

A 2 dollar raise for every part timer august 1st. then $1 raise every yr for 5 or 6 yrs whatever the contract length. Unrealistic for who? Do u realize how hard these part timers work for what they are making? So what your saying is drivers deserve 30 plus an hr 45 an hr on over time but part timers dont deserve good $$$?

Brownslave688

Yeah I worked part time I understand its hard work. Good money? What's good money for a part time job? It's not meant to be a livable family wage. It's a part time job. I agree part timers make too little but your talking a 70% raise over the life of the contract!!!!!!!! That's what ups is going to say and the only way part timers will get a 70% raise is to give up benefits. I'm not disagreeing just saying a 70% raise is unrealistic. To put it in perspective for you that would be a $22 an hour raise for full time drivers.

PT Car Washer

A 2 dollar raise for every part timer august 1st. then $1 raise every yr for 5 or 6 yrs whatever the contract length. Unrealistic for who? Do u realize how hard these part timers work for what they are making? So what your saying is drivers deserve 30 plus an hr 45 an hr on over time but part timers dont deserve good $$$?
I do know how hard the PTers work and even the FT supes and Managers want to see an increase in pay just to raise the quality of workers.

rudy5150

Yeah I worked part time I understand its hard work. Good money? What's good money for a part time job? It's not meant to be a livable family wage. It's a part time job. I agree part timers make too little but your talking a 70% raise over the life of the contract!!!!!!!! That's what ups is going to say and the only way part timers will get a 70% raise is to give up benefits. I'm not disagreeing just saying a 70% raise is unrealistic. To put it in perspective for you that would be a $22 an hour raise for full time drivers.

You sound like you were one of the lucky part timers who worked a few yrs on the belt and walked right into a driving job. Their have been past contracts with 1.00,1.00, 1.10,1.20 raises and that was when the company wasnt making record profits. If part time pay was higher drivers would get better load quality no doubt. As it is right now UPS has trouble finding any quality workers at 8.50 an hour. Not only do full timers make $20 an hour more than alot of part timers they also get double the hours and ive heard from many driver that you part timers work harder than us.