Part-tme sup position eliminated after 10 years!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On May 5th just as I was getting ready to start my afternoon shift as a pt sup, a manager from my district was in the building. She asked me to come into another office. She quickly announced her first name, and told me I had done nothing wrong. Then she said this is hard for her, but she had to tell me my position was being eliminated. Being in shock, I briefly listened to her offer me a severance/separation package. I was told I could go home, and I would be paid for the rest of the week and the following week.

Uh, sounds to me like his position was eliminated and he was offered a severance package and help in making the transition, but what do I know?

A

anonymous6

To retaliate is not in my nature, however my nature may need to change! This job loss will put me in a position to commute to a bigger city if and when I get another job, which would be about 1.5 hours each way. Nothing else in my small town. FedEx has a position I may apply for out of town. My delima is to take the severance or get a lawyer. I don't think my enemployment check will stretch that far! Thanks for all the advice.

almost every supe that I know that was fired or layed off from UPS has found a much better job or career with another co. If they are willing to help with resume . take them up on it. Most companies will look at your resume and practically hire you on the spot. i turn down jobs all the time.

I wouldn't fight it too much. don't burn that bridge or you'll find out how dirty they really can be.

This may be a blessing in disguise. good luck.

Braveheart

There is no loyalty to the workers in this company. There is no reward for all this person's hard work but a pink slip. We are running off some good part-time and in some cases full time sups. If they catch on at Fed Ex UPS is going to be kicking themselves for this.

brownrodster

We are running off some good part-time and in some cases full time sups.

But UPS doesn't care if someone is good, nice, respectable and honest. All they care about are numbers. Sure they may run off most the good people. But they get what they want. People who produce numbers. UPS doesn't care if these number producers are cruel, fiends or nice people.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I don't get it??? :dissapointed:
Unfortunately you don't have to "get it". Management has no union and no job security. That is the main reason why I would NEVER consider ANY management job at UPS. There are other reasons but we won't get into that now. I'm sure you won't be the only one to have their job "eliminated". It is ashame that you were dealt that blow by the company.

Take the severance and find a better company to be involved with on a management level type position. There is life after UPS.

PTSUPLEC

Cutiing costs or cutting good employees? Thanks again for all the advice. I am a SHE but who really cares. I am a 52 year old p/t sup that got her walking papers on May 5th. Is it my age that intimates UPS? My walking papers were from some district manager who just stepped in and took over. I was told that UPS is cutting costs/eliminating positions, and it is her duty to cut where she can. However, I was the only person cut in the country that I know of. This is what really happened. The small center I work for got a blow a week or so before I got the AX. We had a large account who pulled out and signed a contract with FedEx. We have taken super care of this account, as they are fairly big to this little area. They pulled out because FedEx offered up a better deal, and the UPS sales rep did not call them back or assist. EVER! (they will come back to UPS as they always do) UPS does a superior job! Especially when I am there! So, to fill the cost effects of this blow to our tiny center, they moved a manager in to my center, who is retiring in November. Good cost effects there! He was there because of all the injuries...I heard him say he needs to get the injuries and accidents in control. Anyway, he was told to do is all...and also my job, now that this big account was lost. I have been with this center for 10 years! I am not just the smal local sort sup, I handled alot..too much to type right now, but can be attached upon request! I am not saying my job can not be done by others, but this district person who decided to cut costs with my job will be gone in a few months, as we all know how UPS moves upper management around. Then someone else will be at the helm, and they will have no idea why a manager is doing OMS duties along with local sort dutes, along with vacation scheduling, start schedules, time cards, coordinating drivers to get in and off the clock, and payroll issues, and time cards and all the rest! Too many duties to describe just now. Oh yeah wait...I also took care of all the diad system, along with ODS/GTS/DCS/PCIS and what ever it took to run a center! Okay, enough of that. Perhaps some center/hub would like to hire a p/t sup who gets a days job done in 5.5 hours!

tieguy

Banned
There is no loyalty to the workers in this company. There is no reward for all this person's hard work but a pink slip. We are running off some good part-time and in some cases full time sups. If they catch on at Fed Ex UPS is going to be kicking themselves for this.

unfortunately its probably a necessary evil.

I am surprised though that they are trying to eliminate p/t sup jobs.

If you want to fight for the job call your HR department and open an EDR case. Its managements version of the grievance process with an impartial arbitrator at the end of it. Then ask that that the seperation decision be delayed until you have exhausted the entire grievance process. Sounds like the work is there they just decided to have others do it.

You existence won't hurt UPS so fight the decision if you feel strongly about it.

PTSUPLEC

Thanks again for all the great info. Talked with the Employee Relations Manager today. Argued my objectives a bit, and let my frustrations out telling him I had checked into this downsizing cost saving lay off that involved JUST ME! I told him I had checked from Alanta to California and I could not find any p/t sup getting laid off. I was going to just chalk it all up with a bad economy, and be on my way to the unemployment lines, but I am going to try and see what I can do to keep my job. It's just amazing that some manager who recently transferred into this district can call the shots like what has happened to me. She had never even met me?? No job review, no nothing! In a few weeks, like I mentioned before somone one else will be at the helm with all sorts of cost savings for UPS! It's all about that BROWNY BUTTON at the end of the day for a lot of the upper management folks. What does the EDR do? I am assuming it is the Employee Developement Relations?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Cutiing costs or cutting good employees? Thanks again for all the advice. I am a SHE but who really cares. I am a 52 year old p/t sup that got her walking papers on May 5th. Is it my age that intimates UPS? My walking papers were from some district manager who just stepped in and took over. I was told that UPS is cutting costs/eliminating positions, and it is her duty to cut where she can. However, I was the only person cut in the country that I know of. This is what really happened. The small center I work for got a blow a week or so before I got the AX. We had a large account who pulled out and signed a contract with FedEx. We have taken super care of this account, as they are fairly big to this little area. They pulled out because FedEx offered up a better deal, and the UPS sales rep did not call them back or assist. EVER! (they will come back to UPS as they always do) UPS does a superior job! Especially when I am there! So, to fill the cost effects of this blow to our tiny center, they moved a manager in to my center, who is retiring in November. Good cost effects there! He was there because of all the injuries...I heard him say he needs to get the injuries and accidents in control. Anyway, he was told to do is all...and also my job, now that this big account was lost. I have been with this center for 10 years! I am not just the smal local sort sup, I handled alot..too much to type right now, but can be attached upon request! I am not saying my job can not be done by others, but this district person who decided to cut costs with my job will be gone in a few months, as we all know how UPS moves upper management around. Then someone else will be at the helm, and they will have no idea why a manager is doing OMS duties along with local sort dutes, along with vacation scheduling, start schedules, time cards, coordinating drivers to get in and off the clock, and payroll issues, and time cards and all the rest! Too many duties to describe just now. Oh yeah wait...I also took care of all the diad system, along with ODS/GTS/DCS/PCIS and what ever it took to run a center! Okay, enough of that. Perhaps some center/hub would like to hire a p/t sup who gets a days job done in 5.5 hours!

Where were you before all of this happened on Brown Cafe? Why not contribute something besides your woe-is-me? just asking. This seems like a case where we'll never hear from you again after your misery is done, either working again at UPS or not. if you are like this in real life (ranting and raving) I could see why they wouldn't want to keep you. sleeve, meet heart.

Where were you before all of this happened on Brown Cafe? Why not contribute something besides your woe-is-me? just asking. This seems like a case where we'll never hear from you again after your misery is done, either working again at UPS or not. if you are like this in real life (ranting and raving) I could see why they wouldn't want to keep you. sleeve, meet heart.
Oh Please. What good it that rant? Why would anyone that feels the need to "rant and rave" on here have to justify themselves to you....or me?
True enough, she's a new poster here, we get new ones everyday, some stay some don't. What's the big deal?

tieguy

Banned
Thanks again for all the great info. Talked with the Employee Relations Manager today. Argued my objectives a bit, and let my frustrations out telling him I had checked into this downsizing cost saving lay off that involved JUST ME! I told him I had checked from Alanta to California and I could not find any p/t sup getting laid off. I was going to just chalk it all up with a bad economy, and be on my way to the unemployment lines, but I am going to try and see what I can do to keep my job. It's just amazing that some manager who recently transferred into this district can call the shots like what has happened to me. She had never even met me?? No job review, no nothing! In a few weeks, like I mentioned before somone one else will be at the helm with all sorts of cost savings for UPS! It's all about that BROWNY BUTTON at the end of the day for a lot of the upper management folks. What does the EDR do? I am assuming it is the Employee Developement Relations?

Employee / dispute resolution process. There are several steps to it with an impartial arbitrator at the end of the process. Your ERM should have told you about it.

You could also call the 1-800 number to get some advice from outside your district. Its possible the company has not really authorized the layoff of any management people. A management consultant at the number could probably give you a better idea if you're right on that point.

Reading corporate news flyers tells me that corporate is not laying any mangement off but is instead relying on attrition to get us down to the desired staffing levels. If so you may have a lone wolf action taking place here.

PTSUPLEC

Thanks Tiedie. I have decided after listening to a few of you nice UPSers to fight for my job. I was given so much good advice and great information! I will keep all updated on the outcome.

P

pickup

Thanks Tiedie. I have decided after listening to a few of you nice UPSers to fight for my job. I was given so much good advice and great information! I will keep all updated on the outcome.

I am sure you spoke to a lawyer already and that is good as I am not one. I believe he probably familiarized you with the concept of what "at will" employment is all about. Your age of 52 also puts you under the classification of the ADEA (Age Discrimination Employment Act) . Doesn't mean this classification gives you absolute protection but it is something to consider if eventually a younger, lesser paid person does your job. Companies are famous for pulling stunts like this by eliminating the position and parceling the various tasks to others .

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/age.html

I put in the above link that explains very well( as I am sure your lawyer explained to you) what ADEA is all about. You should notice that the information under the "Waiver of ADEA Rights" header in this pretty much indicates to me that your taking this severance is basically equivalent to waiving your rights under the ADEA .

You also may want to check if by taking the severance if that will affect your ability to collect unemployment for a bit . For example vacation pay and pension pay and lump sum payouts I believe are subjects of interest of the unemployment benefits office for the reason they can use them to affect your claim payments . I don't know too much about that but your lawyer should and you can also figure that out by visiting the website of your particular state's department of labor//unemployment benefits.

Also, realize that Ups isn't a mom and pop shop with 16 employees. Their human resources department has seen every kind of employment issue arise and they will take every preemptive step to fight your action as I am sure they have already done to some degree with your case.

So , get a lawyer that you are comfortable with , who has the necessary experience, and the willingness to fight on your behalf. The end result of this , unfortunately, is that you probably won't get your job back, but you will probably end up with a bigger severence(which unfortunately the lawyer will get 1/3 of)

Good luck , ptsuplec

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

Sleeve, was this really necessary? As we use to say in brooklyn, "Come Ooonn! (I hope that won't get lost in translation by converting that phrase into writing

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Didn't your Mom give you the "if you don't have anything nice to say STFU speech?"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

take take take but give nothing in return... my mother taught me to never be selfish and stand up for what you believe in....but "whatever"

Whatever--time for some milk and cookies.:happy2:

BTW, not all work environments need to be confrontational. Case in point. On-car pulls me aside Friday. Driver of one of our city routes that borders mine called in sick (kind of stupid as he will lose his holiday pay, but, whatever) and on-car has to start the route until cover driver can make it in and take over blind. On-car pulls as much work as he can off the car but the route is a tough one to do blind as the DOL is all screwed up. On car asks me to call cover driver during day to see how he is doing and to help if I can. I ended up doing 5 stops that he was unsure of and he was in the bldg as I pulled in to punch out at about 1800. Cover driver and on car both thanked me for helping out.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
He wasn't terminated--his position was eliminated and he was offered a severance package.
SHE!

Whatever--time for some milk and cookies.:happy2:

BTW, not all work environments need to be confrontational. Case in point. On-car pulls me aside Friday. Driver of one of our city routes that borders mine called in sick (kind of stupid as he will lose his holiday pay, but, whatever) and on-car has to start the route until cover driver can make it in and take over blind. On-car pulls as much work as he can off the car but the route is a tough one to do blind as the DOL is all screwed up. On car asks me to call cover driver during day to see how he is doing and to help if I can. I ended up doing 5 stops that he was unsure of and he was in the bldg as I pulled in to punch out at about 1800. Cover driver and on car both thanked me for helping out.
Okay, I get that you guys get along, but what if your OC was a butthead?