PAS Affect On Cover Drivers?

W

westsideworma

we're stuck with it until UPS loses money. I would guess they are based on what I've heard here (I don't mean taking a loss, just making less than they did before). With rumors going around of a center closing near us, they better get their damn act together, PAS obviously isn't a hit with our customers either (delivery times differing daily, pickups as well). I look at the standards of production IE set (saw the mythical standards sheet)...lemme just say you eggheads have obviously never done any of this work apparently...some buildings aren't even designed to move that much work in that amount of time (as someone here already said).

Our misloads are ridiculous.... since PAS we have 7 times the misloads we normally did doing it the old way...somehow this is the preloaders fault?? nice try, try "maning up" and admitting it doesn't work, and actually make an effort to fix it...but like I said, why do that when you can just blame it on the hourlies right?

browniehound

I am going to try to answer your question, about PAS and the fears many providers have. Bottom line is accountability. I don't know if you may have heard about "Contolled Dispatch" or Loop Principles...but we have those types of controls in place to help minimize miles and travel time.
Service Providers sometimes backtrack way too much, so we want to eliminate that as well. In the Gulf South District (Louisiana & Mississippi) we would like for our drivers to deliver 80% in Trace, they other remaining percentage we give to the driver as an allowance to break off trace.

For example, if there's a school in your delivery area and they have a pick up scheduled for 4:00...you can break off trace to get that. EDD (Enhanced DIAD Download) is awesome. You will know exactly how you will stand (Stop by Stop). And, you will know if something was misloaded on the car.
Ask your supervisor to provide you a copy of the Service Provider Delivery and Pickup Methods with EDD. If you're cool with a P/T Supervisor or OMS, get them to print this off of I-Gate.

I hope this helps you. Let me know what happens next. And, you might want to keep the info disclosed in this e-mail confidential. I wish you luck.

btcmrico
IE Supervisor
06/71
:thumbup1:

AHAHHAAHHAAHAHHA! Are you serious? If what you described was reality the profit UPS netted last quarter would have been double. I'm sorry to say my friend that your rosey picture of our PAS system is totally inaccurate in most areas in the country. Unless, of course, you're post was made tongue in cheek.

ups_vette

..some buildings aren't even designed to move that much work in that amount of time

Westside....That's a very bold statement you made. Can you back it up with facts?

Which buildings are you refering to?

How much volume were those buildings designed for?

How much volume are they processing?

Do you even know how a building's capability is determined?

Do you know how it's determined what type of processing system (ie boxline, runout belt/belts) a building requires?

browniehound

we're stuck with it until UPS loses money. I would guess they are based on what I've heard here (I don't mean taking a loss, just making less than they did before). With rumors going around of a center closing near us, they better get their damn act together, PAS obviously isn't a hit with our customers either (delivery times differing daily, pickups as well). I look at the standards of production IE set (saw the mythical standards sheet)...lemme just say you eggheads have obviously never done any of this work apparently...some buildings aren't even designed to move that much work in that amount of time (as someone here already said).

Our misloads are ridiculous.... since PAS we have 7 times the misloads we normally did doing it the old way...somehow this is the preloaders fault?? nice try, try "maning up" and admitting it doesn't work, and actually make an effort to fix it...but like I said, why do that when you can just blame it on the hourlies right?

Hey Westside,
I don't look at it as "being stuck with it" Its obvious the company would not turn back once it decided in its planning stage it was going forward with the technology. I think its a great tool. Problem is, when we were first introduced with the concept we were to it would reduce misloads and increase "package integrity". Package integrity is the idea that if a consignee is recieving 20 pieces from a shipper that all of the pieces will arrive at the same time:lol: .

Also Westside, I think the system comes up short on the preload part of the operation. I have preloaders that would have had 1 misload every 1-2 weeks when they had to memorize streets to having 4 misloads per week in my car alone. Management has tried everything in our center. Like, naming each car a different color and labeling the shelves in that color, to putting the driver's name on the PAL label. It does not work. There is no subsitution to the human mind knowing from practice the addresses on each pull.

As for us drivers, in our center in every route I do the mileage has not been reduced. Also, our package selection time is supposed to be reduced (in theory we are to take 1 step back in the cargo area and select the package and walk out) and in my opinion this has increased. I can't find the freaking package because the preloader has no room in section 5000 so he puts it in the shelf under it in section 6000 (no blame on him, thats what he is told to do). How am I supposed to know he did that with THAT specific package?

I would love to work more efficient. I feel I was more efficient when I was able to sort my truck as I needed. For heavens sake, if I was doing a house call route, it would take me 10 minutes, tops, to sort the load and then I knew where every package was and I could do the method of just stepping into the cargo area and selecting the package I needed. PAS was supposed to cut sort time, but I believe there is no getting around it. Opinions anyone?

Last edited:

brownieboy

PAS has messed our center up as well. Making customers mad daily.
Yesterday we had less than 10% of our drivers leave with a 9.5 hour or less PLAN. Id say half were 10.5 hr plan. Big day was 11.82 plan. Most run scratch or a little under. two drivers were sent home What is SUPPOSED to happen on a 3day over 9.5 grievance?? NOTHING happens here!!