PAS - how do we fix it.

tieguy

Banned
Canon now that many upsers have taken the time to post advice on PAS could you tell us what you personally will do to help fix your PAS problems?

canon

Canon now that many upsers have taken the time to post advice on PAS could you tell us what you personally will do to help fix your PAS problems?
Sure, I'll go to my boss like I've done for almost 2 years and say, "Hey bossman, think we can fix my PAS now?"

I have yet to see a post on how to get my management to cooperate with all the great advice here. Got any suggestions Tie?

Edit: Lots of reasons why it's broke... I don't care if it's poor programming or if the sun was in their eyes. The fix requires sitting down at the computer and fixing it.

DS

Fenderbender
maybe its unfixable
pasbridge2.JPG

satellitedriver

maybe its unfixable
PAS,
Paycheck Assist System. Gotta love that.
It is fixable.
If you are broke down on the side of the road you figure out what is keeping you car from running. 99% of the car is OK but 1 simple part keeps it from going down the road.
Now the problem is, where do I get the part?

canon

Ok. Seems like a lot of upsers gave you a lot of good feeback. Thought you might have found one thing you can use.
They did. To me it looked like similar problems and other examples of what is broke, or why it's broke. Maybe it's time for the definition of redundant, we've already gone thru this. Am I missing something tie? Did someone post a solution to address management not fixing it? I already knew it was broke, and I've already told management. They know HOW to fix it, but won't.

I read every post in this thread, but we're discussing the wrong question. The "fixing" part is easy: you go to the computer and start working on it. The real question should be: Management - how do we get them to work on PAS?

I'm sure you'll dismiss this as "crying", but try to include answers to the questions along with the insults this time. And before you say "make the best of it" again, know in advance I consider that to be of mediocre quality as a solution to something which needs fixing.

upsdude

I’ve asked a bazillion times to sit down with the PDS sup and correct my DOL. Nothing, nothing other than being told/asked to take it home and work on it. Sorry, I don’t take work home with me, paid or not. No, the PDS sup didn’t offer to pay me for time worked at home. The company isn’t showing me any real desire to fix what’s broken. Shame, I’ll bet my center alone could save 150 miles a day.

For a private company we sure do seem to operate like a gooberment agency.

trickpony1

canon-
You're wasting your time.
Management enjoys toying with us which is exactly what Tie is doing. It creates jobs and security for management.
Redirect your energy to something you enjoy or this will consume you.
Don't cast your pearls before swine.

PS- perhaps the Paycheck Assist System will get you in the 100K club in '07.

over9five

Staff member
"Sorry, I don’t take work home with me"

You don't have to! I did my whole DOL on the clock. You don't have to do the whole thing at once. Have it with you, and stop for ten minutes a couple times a day and do it. It helped me a lot to be in the area I was writing down in case I wasn't sure exactly what house number to break at.

Took my less than a week. Could take you two if you have a lot of streets, but at least it will be done. (And you'll get paid to do it).

PAS has a lot of problems, but your DOL doesn't have to be one of them. BE ANAL when setting it up, BE EXACT. You may think while your doing it that some things are too minimal to be concerned about. They're not, do it exact, YOU know better than anyone how it should be.

Good luck!

PS. Make a copy before you hand it in. And write the date on the original, and who you turned it in to. (Very important!!! If it doesn't get done, go to your center manager with that info)

LKLND3380

most of the labels are placed over the barcode..or placed over the COD amounts..or the labels from the previous days send-agains are never updates

Think about how many packages per hour are moving on the belt for the SPA people. People should be happy the boxes are scanned the first time around... Labels are slapped on without looking at the package... eyes ahead of your work looking at the next package... so chances are SPA people have scanned two package by the time a label is placed on the first. God forbid a box is upside down and you have to flip a few times to scan...

Send agains must be pulled out of package car in order to be scanned... Nothing like walking into a package car right before start time and seeing 10 packages left... Some are over 70s:thumbup1: and then you have belt supes telling you to leave them...

Pull the packages off the car and then pull the labels and leave them on the belt... I bet the next day they will have new PAL labels...

W

westsideworma

Think about how many packages per hour are moving on the belt for the SPA people. People should be happy the boxes are scanned the first time around... Labels are slapped on without looking at the package... eyes ahead of your work looking at the next package... so chances are SPA people have scanned two package by the time a label is placed on the first. God forbid a box is upside down and you have to flip a few times to scan...

Send agains must be pulled out of package car in order to be scanned... Nothing like walking into a package car right before start time and seeing 10 packages left... Some are over 70s:thumbup1: and then you have belt supes telling you to leave them...

Pull the packages off the car and then pull the labels and leave them on the belt... I bet the next day they will have new PAL labels...

the SPA job isn't as rosy as some people (I don't mean you) paint it. At least in a hub, maybe in a smaller center its a little better but I doubt it.

Do I get pissed at them? yes because their mis-slaps cause misloads (I usually catch them, but not always), but I know they are being worked to the bone just as much as we are. No its not as physically demanding (in most instances) but they have to be VERY fast.

I swear they keep trying to ramp the belts up faster too....I mean somethings gotta give.

you really want to fix the misload problem? find the ratio of misloads to packages meaning: find the optimum amount of packages a person can load where they check both labels (eliminate misloads for the most part) and still wrap the pull. AND LEAVE IT ALONE. My god IE you need to realize people can only do so much. If you're going to expect the impossible don't be surprised when it doesn't work, its called common sense.

Also make sure the people in DCAP actually fix a bad pal...on ALL THE PLANS or if you're going to fix a dispatch make sure its fixed on ALL OF PLANS as well. I mean what good does it do to fix it on one of the days plans? honestly? I mean this is common sense stuff here guys (people in charge of PAS).

LKLND3380

the SPA job isn't as rosy as some people (I don't mean you) paint it. At least in a hub, maybe in a smaller center its a little better but I doubt it.

Do I get pissed at them? yes because their mis-slaps cause misloads (I usually catch them, but not always), but I know they are being worked to the bone just as much as we are. No its not as physically demanding (in most instances) but they have to be VERY fast.

A few things to consider
Depending on the scanners the spa people are using - if they are using the lazer or LED scanners... The lazer ONLY scans the barcode and the LED scans either barcode OR the bulls eye. So if it is blank or NIS the bulls eye has more infor and may spit out a PAL. If the barcode is damaged/missing they can scan the bullseye BUT now the driver has nothing to scan since the diad is lazer only.

Are the scanners set for the trigger or constant on/pulse? if it is trigger their speed is limited to their hand eye coordination. If it is constant on/pulse then it may hit ANY surrounding package and spit out a label without notice... Since you are trained to place the next label out of the printer BANG the labels are now off and you are puting out bad slaps UNTIL it is caught...

Spa is not physical but mental stress UNLESS you have to flip a few over 70s

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
A follow up to a previous thread. If we all agree the PAS system has some major flaws what do we do to fix it.

It's funny how "WE" is used to deal with something "WE" weren't ask to implement or be a part of. Now I.E. is very open to suggestions from "WE" and so it goes a company that continues to hire PINHEADS with no loading/driving at U.P.S. will continue to PASS along flawed technology and let the users fix it much like a new version of WINDOWS software. I have never seen as many mis-loaded packages or poorly looped routes in my whole career with this company. All long term employees that are victims of PASS will over come it, deal with it, and yes fix it(make it livable), until the next boneheaded decree is sent down from the enlightened ones.

Iconoclast

It has been a long time since I posted in this forum, so long that I am no longer recognized by my former username-interested. I had to re-register as, Iconoclast.

Let's be honest here PAS is just the title of the problem, the real issue is apathy from management, on all issues related to BIG BROWN. TIE, you and I have gone a few rounds over the years and I have to agree with DAMMOR on this, you are just spoiling for a fight with CANON.

Your passive aggressive games fool no one, and they are much, much more harmful than a poorly looped route, or too much volume for a green preloader. Your attitude insults, demeans and demoralizes good, honest, hardworking people who have legitimate reasons to be fed up, vocal and frustrated. You asked a question of the forum and of Canon specifically-What have we learned from this thread - I'll tell you what we learned-PAS SUCKS, period. It isn’t because UPS doesn't know how to fix it, there have been a legion of really good suggestions in this thread alone - based on observation, solid fact, and real life experiences of people who work in the system every day. These are not new to UPS at large, discussions of this caliber go on every day in centers, preloads, sort aisles, package cars, taverns etc.

The problem is one that has plagued this company for years-management has been bred to rely on a chain of command. There is no autonomy or incentive for management to operate outside of those boundaries, there never has been, and there doesn't appear to be any plans to do so in the foreseeable future.

Each center manager and their respective teams could vastly improve the performance of his/her center if they were to dedicate a specific amount of time to only PAS. But, alas, your day is not your own at UPS. So what if you have 30 years experience in the operation, your drivers and sups trust you, and you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you could make PAS work - given the time and resources to do so, but you are not allowed to deviate from your planned day, not without oodles of red tape. It is sad that it has to be qualified in this sentence, but I don't mean by deviation taking a day or two, I mean coming off of your planned day for a month or more straight, every day, and get this-it's your decision to do that. Yeah, you keep your boss in the loop, but largely it's your decision. After all, when we read this thread almost everyone agrees that the input of those who use the system every day is critical. What kind of organization is it that has all of these resources at its disposal and won't allow the front line management who are the most capable of fixing PAS to do so? It absolutely boggles the mind, it is almost beyond the ability of Christ himself to comprehend.

Know this sad fact - PAS was an investment in billions for the organization and it has definitively, and in no uncertain terms, hurt, yes hurt, the overall service of UPS and ultimately its share price.

I don't know if anything could be worse than that, except, the attitude of most managers (its certainly not just you Tie) that make PAS and all other issues worse by viciously demeaning the morale of the entire organization by telling people to be positive.

Nothing about change is easy, it is hard, confrontational and brutal. Anyone who has ever successfully changed something in their lives knows that. Anything worth doing right is hard. Let me tell you, if everyone in this company, management especially, started to voice their anger and frustration, began to stand up to their managers and demand change in the PAS system, even at the expense of possibly losing their jobs, then I guarantee you PAS would work, and quick!!

Would it be the best thing for individual members of the management team to jeopardize their livelihood, probably not. Would it be the best thing for UPS and the shareholder-Damn right-it would finally bring about change. Every time we see a FedEx ground truck or a DHL car we have no one to thank but ourselves.

The UPS all pervasive attitude of - Don't rock the boat - go with the flow, - be positive - cover your own a** has absolutely crushed this company in the last 50 years. It has castrated our management team and allowed us to be outflanked in almost every battle we have fought to remain on top in our industry. The industry we invented for God's sake!!

To think that with our infrastructure, and our ability to control the price point of moving small packages, that these other companies were allowed into our marketplace, we should be ashamed.

I think that the old saying that - wherever there is inefficiency, there is great opportunity was designed for UPS.