Pas labels

thebrownbox

I've been all over my building.. SPA, preload, Small sort... Anyways when I scan I never place it on the barcode however if I see one on a barcode I remove it and place it in a area where it wont cover.

I can see how it can be annoying.

thebrownbox

Sometimes the printer spits out double labels or none at all (TIMED OUT) and throws things off because you can't stop the belt and go back... Well you could stop the belt but then the unloaders would stack the belt so that the spa people are faced with a three foot stack of boxes to dig through... Then when that wall of boxes goes down half are not scanned, they are not split (IN/OUT) and they pile up at the end of the belt...

I hope that answered your question...:thumbup1:

Sounds like the Norwalk preload... My scanner when I was working on sorting his printer would spit out double labels or none at all and he had to stop to fix it.. the sucky part is when the guy next to me is pushing boxes out and mine have not moved, I have a nice 80Lb pottery Barn box rolling down the rollers and crashing into my stack causing un-scanned boxes to fly on the belts.. if I can reach for them without the rest falling I will try and round them up.

browniehound

i will put the label anywhere i choose and you will like it. i luv this job.

Myback, my guess is that you are 100% joking If you're not, then you are a real a--. You must be kidding because I can't imagine a fellow UPS worker deliberately making his "internal customer's" job more difficult.

I know when the SPA people get a small package it can be difficult to find a place for the label. I also know that UPS trains you to put the label on the same surface as the address label but "not covering any pertinent infomation".

I think for small packages you should ignore this method. Put it on the other side of the box. What it costs in money and aggrevation for the sort and preload will be saved with the driver getting the correct information.

I say this because I get COD's with the COD amount covered by the PAL label. When I try to tear the PAL label off, it takes the COD amount with it. Another common headache is when the PAL label covers the return address or the person's name who the package is addressed to. We look unproffesional when our own "stickers" are covering information that our customers want to know and NEED, while I'm standing there with the DIAD going"DUH, Well I don't know, DUH".

Just slap it on the other side of the box. The preloader will find it and it will makes us look a little bit smarter. :happy2:

brownIEman

I had this up a while ago but my thread was deleted.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to often in other cities.

In case anyone is curious. This was a flip that should have been caught by the preloader. I typically will point this sorta stuff out to preloaders if I see it, but will not dance on their skulls too hard, as it is a difficult thing to catch.
The customer put Desert Passage #340 on the first address line of the package. The system parsed that address out, could not find a desert passage 340 in 89109 zip code, but did find a 340 E Desert Inn, which is, in the larger scheme of things, close - so it made the guess that that is what the customer actually meant and flipped to that.
The system does this sort of flip hundreds and hundreds of times in a sort the size of either of the Vegas buildings. I would estimate about 90% of the time it gets it right, and flips to the correct address or what the customer did actually mean. Sometimes, it gets it very, very WRONG.

thebrownbox

In case anyone is curious. This was a flip that should have been caught by the preloader. I typically will point this sorta stuff out to preloaders if I see it, but will not dance on their skulls too hard, as it is a difficult thing to catch.
The customer put Desert Passage #340 on the first address line of the package. The system parsed that address out, could not find a desert passage 340 in 89109 zip code, but did find a 340 E Desert Inn, which is, in the larger scheme of things, close - so it made the guess that that is what the customer actually meant and flipped to that.
The system does this sort of flip hundreds and hundreds of times in a sort the size of either of the Vegas buildings. I would estimate about 90% of the time it gets it right, and flips to the correct address or what the customer did actually mean. Sometimes, it gets it very, very WRONG.

Yep and at our centers they sometimes get marked by writing Flip on the PAS label before it's sent to the belt it's meant to go on.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Can someone help me out? We are getting PAS in a few months, and I was curious how these numbers on the label correspond to where they are placed in the truck?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've found lately too, and noone ever told us this, that with the "find BC" button you can put in any 4 digits from the barcode and it will find the package you are looking for. Whe we were trained on this they told us it was only the last 4 digits.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Have you guys never heard of the Find BC feature on the DIAD? You don't have to pull PALs off of the barcode or type in the 1Z. Here is how it works:

You must be active in the stop. Try to scan the pkg. When it doesn't scan, hit Find BC and type in any 4 consecutive digits of the 1Z (the last 4 are usually the easiest as they are in large print on the PAL) and hit Enter. If that is the only 1Z that appears and it matches the 1Z on the pkg hit Enter to accept it and either continue scanning (mulitple pkg stop) or complete the stop if that is the only pkg for the stop. If your Find BC shows more than 1 possible match then you must scroll down to the correct 1Z and hit Enter and this will record the pkg. It may sound complicated but do it once or twice and you will wonder why you didn't do it this way before and it is so much quicker (after you get the hang of it) than typing in the whole 1Z. I find that it is mostly at bulk stops that I use the Find BC but there are certain shippers whose barcodes have been historically hard to scan so this makes it so much easier.

(UPSlady, I just noticed that you had mentioned this in your reply so I apologize)

thebrownbox

Are all the shelves in the truck the same? (Numeric wise). If 7 is the shelf #, then what do the last three digits represent?

I'm sure most centers who use PAS like mine what they do is mark the shelfs.. near the front bulk head on the driver side is Shelfs 3000 on the top and 4000 on the lower shelf, midpoint at the truck is 3999 for the top and 4999 for the lower, after that the top shelf becomes 7000 - 7999 then you have the rear door lower shelf is 8000-8999

On the right side of the truck is 1000-5000 then 5999 for the stop shelf and the lower shelf it's 2000-6000 then 6999

hope that helps.. From what I can tell at my center the larger trucks the numbers stay in that order no matter what size it is.

Oh and before I forget you have PAS labels that says RDL and RDR and FL3, FL2 and FL1...

FL1 goes near the front behind the driver FL2 under shelf 2000 and RDR is Rear Door Right and RDL Rear door Left.

Also FL3 goes under Shelf 6000 and FL4 goes under the 4999 shelf on the raised parts of the floor.

xkingx

the FBC only works if i have multiple pkgs..very rarely will it ever work on a single pkg stop..

what Im bad at now since the labels, when sorting the truck I have a bad habit of just looking at the Pal label which inturn leads to a misload that if I read the original lable wouldve prevented a missed pkg..:greedy:

thebrownbox

haha I've seen one box with two PALs...both wrong...its pretty accurate I must say :smart:

lol here it's the other way around.. I've seen a box with 2-3 PAL labels and lucky for me they were correct..

However the mall truck I load something must of happed the PAL will spit out the wrong name but the 1Z and address will be correct.

Only happens on the mall truck.

Cementups

Box Monkey
the FBC only works if i have multiple pkgs..very rarely will it ever work on a single pkg stop..

what Im bad at now since the labels, when sorting the truck I have a bad habit of just looking at the Pal label which inturn leads to a misload that if I read the original lable wouldve prevented a missed pkg..:greedy:

Incorrect. if you only have one package at the stop hat you are trying to use FBC on the you have to enter the stop from EDD and go down to the package screen. Hit the scan button then hit FBC and enter 4 consecutive digits.

W

westsideworma

lol here it's the other way around.. I've seen a box with 2-3 PAL labels and lucky for me they were correct..

However the mall truck I load something must of happed the PAL will spit out the wrong name but the 1Z and address will be correct.

Only happens on the mall truck.

on one of our mall trucks most of the stores get PALed to their correct areas however, theres one section (varies on the day) that is a catchall for all the stores as the computer basically says screw this (can't figure out the correct addy) and PAL's it there. So many stores are PALed to two places (sometimes more) on the same truck...kind of like an easter egg hunt only not nearly as fun.