Pas & Preload

Any of your buildings seen mass firings for preload due to misloads/wrong label on the wrong package? Just wondering, seems to be the threat/trend at my building. Any inside tips or contract rules I should know so we can protect ourselves?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
can't do much for the misloads...they're one of the major killers of profit for the company. And they piss the customers off if they don't get delivered on time. The only thing I could think of is make sure that management uses a graduated discipline not just on the spot firing.

dillweed

Haven't seen anyone fired yet but they do get hassled.

This mess begins somewhere in management, for sure but what I see is when the PAL clerk gets out of sync pkgs are missorted.

Because preloaders dont' seem to be getting any time allowance for checking both labels they fall behind. Add/cuts and incorrect manifests also add to the problem.

Heat goes on the preload, who blames sort aisle who blames PAL clerks who blame the unload and this cycle will go on for all eternity.

LKLND3380

Any of your buildings seen mass firings for preload due to misloads/wrong label on the wrong package? Just wondering, seems to be the threat/trend at my building. Any inside tips or contract rules I should know so we can protect ourselves?

It's been threatened for three years in our building but I have yet to see someone get canned.

Well, of course in a perfect world we would just "not misload". The frustrating part is loading 1200 packages a day of a moving belt doesn't give you all the time in the world to check & double check every label with it's pal.

atatbl

Well, of course in a perfect world we would just "not misload". The frustrating part is loading 1200 packages a day of a moving belt doesn't give you all the time in the world to check & double check every label with it's pal.

Since my first day on the pre-load I have said we should get rid of the belt system. My idea is to make some sort of contraption that uses cage-like objects and spins around. Every five cages or so would be "your cage" with "your packages" in it. I haven't really ironed all the details out yet, but when I do I will post it here, in this very thread.

Mike Hawk

Since my first day on the pre-load I have said we should get rid of the belt system. My idea is to make some sort of contraption that uses cage-like objects and spins around. Every five cages or so would be "your cage" with "your packages" in it. I haven't really ironed all the details out yet, but when I do I will post it here, in this very thread.
Maybe one day when you are king of UPS...

Speaking of a boxline, I have never seen one but I have a fair idea of what they are, do they make loading easier, Or are they more for saving space?

W

westsideworma

Haven't seen anyone fired yet but they do get hassled.

Because preloaders dont' seem to be getting any time allowance for checking both labels they fall behind. Add/cuts and incorrect manifests also add to the problem.

Correct, they don't get any time allowance because it supposedly takes no extra time according to my upper management team. I look and nod because I know its not true (I was preloader for 2+ years before becoming a supe). I loaded much fast on the alpha charts than I did with PAS, and most others who have used both in my building did as well..its a fact. We used to wrap up the ground well before the air arrived...I can probably count on two hands how many times thats happened under PAS. But lets keep this simple. how can adding another step NOT take anymore time? :wink2:

If you are following the methods for you center (however you handle the PAL labels) and such then just keep doing it. If you end up going slower by following all of PAS methods thats just the way it is. I think PAS could be great, but this iteration of it is not. It needs some improvements. There are too many hands (that can cause errors) on the packages before they arrive in the preloaders hand to solely place blame on the preloader if something goes wrong. I know they are the last line of defense so to speak, but they already don't have enough time in many cases and now you want them to do more in the little amount...I'm not surprised some misPALed packages get past them.

The wrong cars I can't comment on. I'm not sure what the secret formula is. I've retrained and retrained and coached with some to no avail and with others made solid improvements. Some pick it up instantly, some don't. However all of the people above me doing the "tough talking" when it comes to misloading have never loaded a package car so their opinion is taken with a grain of salt in my mind. When one of them actually did (and I have others that can verify), he had 7 on one car alone. Enough said.

W

westsideworma

Speaking of a boxline, I have never seen one but I have a fair idea of what they are, do they make loading easier, Or are they more for saving space?

Yes they do (make loading easier), but they're somewhat slower than belts...so I think thats why the company wants to move away from them. I've loaded from both and I definitely preferred the boxline. As stated, if you miss something it comes back around, doesn't go to the end of the belt and make a mess.

DS

Fenderbender

Mike,I couldn't find a photo,so I made a crude drawing of how it looks.
the pkg car(brown right) backs up to the belt (black)which serves as a platform for preloaders to work from.AS the boxline moves in a huge oval,which is on a decline to allow everyone the sort them into the appropriate car from waist high.Each cage is a specific color that would contain the pkgs for 3 or 4 cars.Example if my route was 4155A,B or C,one cage is devoted to only these cars,say bottom green.
At our hub we have 6 of these boxlines and each one feeds about 50 pkg cars with about 25 on each side.The belt is used for the most part at the end of the day to unload the cars onto.
did that make sense?
boxlinejpeg.JPG

brownrodster

YOu can get 15 ML's a day and not even worry about dicipline on our preload. They are that desperate for alive humans to show up and pretend to work on our preload. Our preload is a joke. It's the worst it's ever been.

Mike Hawk

Mike,I couldn't find a photo,so I made a crude drawing of how it looks.
the pkg car(brown right) backs up to the belt (black)which serves as a platform for preloaders to work from.AS the boxline moves in a huge oval,which is on a decline to allow everyone the sort them into the appropriate car from waist high.Each cage is a specific color that would contain the pkgs for 3 or 4 cars.Example if my route was 4155A,B or C,one cage is devoted to only these cars,say bottom green.
At our hub we have 6 of these boxlines and each one feeds about 50 pkg cars with about 25 on each side.The belt is used for the most part at the end of the day to unload the cars onto.
did that make sense?
How do they stand on the belt? The belts are waist high when standing at the level of the back bumper of the truck right? God would that be a disaster if someone ever accidentally turned it on.

evilleace

No one really gets fired for misloads but we do get yelled at pretty good, yet another reason I won't go pre-load yet to much stuff with not enough time to do it for to little money.

2Slow

How do they stand on the belt? The belts are waist high when standing at the level of the back bumper of the truck right? God would that be a disaster if someone ever accidentally turned it on.

Those belts are about mid thigh height. They don't move that fast in our building. Employees have always been allowed to walk on that belt when on, but no others in the building at all. I've never seen the belt turned on by mistake during preload, but it wouldn't be that bad if it were.