PAS reflection

S

steamheat

Would be interested to hear from any drivers who have been on PAS for 9 months or more. What are your thoughts? How painful was the transition? Has your load condition improved? Are you better off now than you were before PAS? Drivers only please respond.

S

speeddemon

too many variables , say in a rural center, that PAS cant take into consideration. Still have to sort.

O

over9five

PAS plus 12 months. Missed packages far above pre PAS. Amazes me that this is acceptable.

B

brown1

A good preloader vs. a poorly implemented program that does not take into consideration for variables in your load?

Hmm I wonder? At least the loader would be able to tell you that you have a messed up load. Now they have no clue and could care less.

R

rpoz11

PAS=Too many people inputing too much information causing too many problems!

PAS wont work unless you allow the PTers time and have the bodies present to properly run it, Cut back hourlies to save your money, to meet the share holders demands, will not correct the issue currently surrounding this system!
icon46.gif

P

pas

PAS does not fail because the programming was faulty. It fails because the people who altered it from the original design put in what they wanted not what operations wanted!!!!

E

ezrider

When working right, the technology could maybe someday take some of the load off the mind of the driver. Unfortunately, as most of these posts would indicate, I'd say it's alot worse after a year and some change with EDD than before it got here.

Misloads for some drivers reach into the dozens and much time lost having to search for pkgs that are not in truck yet DIAD states they should be there. Maybe 1 day out of 5 that a driver doesn't have to break off and make several meets with either shuttle cars or other drivers. That's just some of the back-end problems. The front-end headaches are even worse with way too many cooks spoiling the meal. Re-looping just for the sake of eliminating routes was just awful. Lots of redundant stops and wasted miles when there never had to be.

I didn't expect much even when I first heard it was on it's way. But after all the hype and cheerleading it got from all the suits, it's just that much more of a dissapointment to be saddled with the mess that it's left a driver and his/her customers with.

U

ups_vette

In Sept 1992 I was sent on Special Assignment to France. UPS had aquired a French Delivery Company, Prost Transport. Prost was primarly a freight company, covering the entire country with over 50 terminals. The drivers used large straight body vans for delivery, since the majority of the volume was either palletized, or large heavy cartons.

It was a loading dock operation simular to the freight operations here at home, with one exception.

When the freight was picked up, that night all the information pertaining to each shipment was key entered at each terminal into a central computer system. The system would sort the shipments by destination terminal and by delivery route in that terminal. When the freight arrived early in the morning the delivery terminal already had what shipments were arriving, sorted by delivery area. The unloaders would place the freight for the drivers in specific areas on the dock for the driver to load. The driver would be given a printout of his (no female drivers) deliveries. for the day. He would then check his list as he loaded the freight in delivery order to insure he had all deliveries planned for that day. When the driver left the terminal he had a printout of all his deliveries, as did the management team in that terminal.

The French developed this system in the early 80s and called it E10. UPS developed a simular system in the early 90s and called it PAS and EDD

N

nick

I just happened to check our daily report this morning from last friday. We are a large hub that houses 4 delivery centers. Each center has anywhere from 30 to 50 drivers. Fridays missed package count was 99. It was pretty much even numbers in each center with around 22 to 26 missed per center. Oh, I failed to mention that this hub has been on PAS/EDD for a good year and a half. The suits are saying that we are making progress. We'll see.

E

ezrider

I wonder if Frenchie had to deliver 160 stops a day?

If Frenchie only pulled 160 in my center, he'd be considered underdispatched unless he was covering pickups from a broken car.
rofl.gif

D

dammor

It could and should be good, but is instead a nightmare. I find it quite sad...Good luck to those who are about to have these major changes coming to a center near you. Driver input? All I can say is do your best and hope someone will listen. When you take the drivers input out of the picture you take away what this company is.
We are the company. I just want to do my job.

S

sendagain

I delivered office buildings, which caused my load to be bricked out in different areas, all suites mixed together. It was way to time consuming to try to find packages in the diad, many of which were out of the order in which they were delivered. I used Pas to acquire the address, but used the old method of search and deliver after that.