Pas system

A

antimatter

RIGHT ON Dr Colossus! It always gives me hope when I see one less robotic mentality working for my company.

Colossus wrote: "I'm doing my part to fix this horribly broken company. If many of you cowards in management did the same, that is stand up for what is right, just and honest we could transform UPS into a company that we could be proud of instead of one many of us have repugnance for."

The problem here is that many managers KNOW things suck but they would get canned should they suggest change is needed. Thank GOODNESS I never put myself in a position where my opinion was muted by fear... or anything else.

It is certainly easy to tell who the company lackeys are.

lackey-(also lacquey)
n. (pl. -eys)
derog.
a) a servile political follower.
b) an obsequious parasitical person.
a) a (usu. liveried) footman or manservant

A.

T

tieguy

I would respond to such an asinine comment but my boss has not given his permission yet.

U

ups

We are going to start pas this spring and I have been a clerk for 28 years and was wondering how it affects the clerk operation? Thanks

M

mr_roboto

ups Clerk...

from what I can tell...it's going to make your job easier.

Please don't quote me if I'm wrong.

roboto

W

wily_old_vet

My center is going to PAS this year and I've got a couple of questions regarding how info is loaded into the DIAD. Are air pkgs for a stop you also have ground for separated in the diad? I have a country club where there are 3 different delivery points but all pkgs are addressed to the club with maybe somebodies name on it. How does PAS separate the stops? How hard is it if you don't run it exactly the way the DOL is setup? And last, has PAS helped with more accurate stop counts?
Thanks in advance.

U

ups

Mr Roboto, Sounds good! the more advanced the technology goes the easier the clerk job goes for the most part.

I heard there will be people who have to scan problem packages that when scanned do not give a label and then have to be special handled. Are these Clerk jobs or they a preferred preload job? Where I work we have 3 full time clerks in the am sort and then we do other clerical work after the sort. Thanks

5star

Wily,

With EDD (enhanced diad delivery) air packages can be viewed by themselves in sequence order or depending on your individual loading plan, in the load up to a certain point. For instance, air can be loaded into your load up to a certain point in your route where you arrive prior to your air commit time consistently each day. The rest of your air will be in one designated area. Your dispatch supervisor (each center will have one) will set a plan to determine this.

Right now PAS cannot really breakout same address stops. So all the Country Club packages would be loaded in one location.

Ideally you want to run your route in the confirmed DOL order. However, the real world suggests that isn't always the case and there are exceptions. Say you finish your NDA deliveries in a residential area where you only have a few more ground stops. You might want to finish them while you're in there so you don't have to come back. The EDD system allows you to mark where you have left off on your deliveries so you can come back to the same place without having to scroll all over looking for where you left off. Also, bulk stops should be done early and aren't always in DOL order.

Stop counts are accurate. There are a couple of issues though. PAS is not able to count vertical or multiple stops at one address yet. In the future there will probably be an upgrade to help with this. Until that time the dispatch sup is suppose to build those extra stops into your dispatch. Say you have a high-rise building that gets 20 stops a day, or a mall with only one address. PAS will only count these scenarios as one stop. The Plan can be altered to say that you, on the average have 20 stops there and that will keep your count accurate.

Hope this helps as I was formerly on the PAS team in our area.

W

wily_old_vet

5star-thanks for the info. Acouple of more questions if you don't mind, I like to know about things as far in advance as I can. Since we are supposed to deliver all nda's before any other pkgs why wouldn't all the airs be seperated? If all the pkgs for the country club are lumped together in the diad how do you resheet them to go to their particular delivery points? I appreciate the answers you're giving me so that I can be prepared when the time comes.

5star

Wily,

Next day air packages are separated and in most cases will all be together on shelf one in sequence order. NDA packages can be put into the first part of your A.M. deliveries with your ground so you can do them together if so desired.

With EDD all packages will be recorded into your diad before leaving the building. With the Country Club you will just scan the packages that you want to deliver to each location. I really haven't had a lot of hands on experience with EDD so you may have to ask your center team more about it as they and yourself will be trained prior to implementation.

Several months before your building goes on PAS the PAS team will be there and can probably give you a better idea by showing you some of these things.

Good luck.

I

interested

Tie,

Let's assume for arguments sake that your boss gives you permission to respond to antimatter.

What pray tell will you have to say? Will you give us more drivel about proper attitude or will you finally engage in some intelligent rhetoric supporting your viewpoint.

There is, as we have discussed ad nauseam on this board, an attitude problem in UPS. That attitude pervades every orifice of every area that encompasses the parcel service.

It's the attitude that Ups has towards its employees. You do what you are told or else! If you disagree with something or someone you are a troublemaker with a bad attitude. "Nobody likes a troublemaker"- so instead of trying to resolve the issues at hand we just label someone a problem and walk away.

Case in point, Tieguy's post #942 "I can't see myself trying to fix too many of colossus' problems when he has such a terrific attitude" So what happens? The problem festers. We don't meet it head on because that is hard to do. It is difficult to support one of your people whom you know have valid points and march into a division managers office and voice your concerns with the status quo.

It is far easier to go with the program, prove that you have the "right attitude" and point your finger at the other guy who has an issue because he/she will not quietly accept "it is what it is".

Where does almost 100 years of "it is what it is" take us? Right here. On the line earning huge profits, admiration, awards, etc. Using all of those accolades and money to convince ourselves that we are strong enough to go on this way forever.

But those of us inside..we know, the frustration, the disrespect- the pain that comes from stepping in and out of a package car for 30 years. We aren't ungrateful or trying to get over because someone sold us a bill of goods. We knew what the job entailed. We just want a fair chance to be heard and a fair shake when problems arise.

Tie-labeling people as "attitude problems" just because they bring up concerns has injured this company far beyond any of those whose "attitude" was out of line BECAUSE they brought up a concern.

T

tieguy

Heres the part I don't understand. You have all the answers that will fix all our problems yet UPS will not allow you the priveledge of actually leading people.

I

interested

Several discussions past, on the subject of the ERI, Tie and I were debating the merits of the Employee Relation Index. I don't remember the specific question- but it centered on what results I had received in the ERI. I replied that I did not have any direct reports at the time because I was working out of a virtual office.

Tieguy, on a few occasions now, has used this information to inaccurately paint a picture that because in my current assignment I have no direct reports that I am not entrusted to lead people.

There are many different assignments at Ups. Some of them, center manager or feeder manager certainly entail the responsibility of directly supervising people on a daily basis. Other work assignments- like Business Development, individuals have no direct reports but are responsible for millions of dollars of revenue and are entrusted to be a direct representative to many large companies and their senior management teams.

There are many, many other assignments in consulting; financials, logistics and even security that Ups'ers work at every day that have no direct reports. In fact, many of the jobs I have just described demand so much travel that the only way for one to operate is out of a suitcase and off of a laptop.

This does NOT mean that the individual has lost the privilege of supervising people but rather his or her talents are such that they are specifically suited to controlling large chunks of revenue without the need of direct supervision.

In fact, I know of no one in my peer group that did not at some time or another in their career, have an assignment where they managed a group of people. It was in many cases an area managers position leading a sales division. But I have some colleagues that were in security and logistics too. All of the folks I work with have been promoted past the point of managing people resources and moved onto managing customer and company resources like, revenue, logistics, financials etc.

It is always important at any organization to broaden your educational and career goals to include as many different aspects of our business as one is qualified to participate in.

It is also bad business to assume that because someone is not in a position that is defined by specific parameters, such as having direct reports, that they have NEVER had direct reports.

That would be as bad as assuming that one who now has direct reports in an area like feeder, and has been there longer than a couple of years, has done such a poor job leading those people, that they are yet to be promoted to more responsibility and greater challenges.

Remember Tie- "There is no idea, no fact, which could not be vulgarized and presented in a ludicrous light"

-Dostoyevsky

D

deliver_man

Tieguy,
just a nitpick, but noone at UPS "leads people", they supervise or manage people, which is a little different.

B

badhab1

I don't intend to nitpick either but noone is not a word at UPS. Perhaps you meant no one. OK, I did mean to nitpick. Happy New Year everyone.

D

deliver_man

yeah, yeah
tongue.gif

Happy new year to you as well!

N

nevadapaul

I don't mean to nitpick but new year should be in Caps!

Happy New Year All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T

tieguy

Thanks for the constructive advice I think. You folks really should direct your advice towards interested who will be fixing all that is wrong with the company. I know I'm gratefull he has taken this responsibility. Deliver man issue of semantics I suppose but I've always thought leading people a kinder expression than supervising or managing. I personally don't need a boss to supervise or manage me I need one that will either lead or get out of the way. To each their own. Happy NEW YEAR!!!