Passed on road test?

Dolce

What happens after you pass your on road test? I know you get c sent to school but how long does it take to be driving? I applied for Saturday Air Deliveries but I guess they will also pull you to do fill ins.

ChrisTheBrown

It was 2 years ago this month, for me.
I went out on road with my ORS probably a couple weeks after I got outta the school. Then about a week after being out on road with him, (me in the jump seat) my 30 day qualifying period then began. I'm sure it's not the same for everyone, though.

I'll never forget that first day out by myself, 5/7/14, was so freaked out. So glad I made it, it's all a breeze now. At first, I really didn't think that it was gonna work out. Just gotta do your best & NEVER underestimate your capabilities. Good luck.

Dolce

It was 2 years ago this month, for me.
I went out on road with my ORS probably a couple weeks after I got outta the school. Then about a week after being out on road with him, (me in the jump seat) my 30 day qualifying period then began. I'm sure it's not the same for everyone, though.

I'll never forget that first day out by myself, 5/7/14, was so freaked out. So glad I made it, it's all a breeze now. At first, I really didn't think that it was gonna work out. Just gotta do your best & NEVER underestimate your capabilities. Good luck.
Thanks Chris. I really appreciate the input since I'm not sure what to expect.

Savvy412

Ya. Week of school. Get the run around for a couple weeks. Finally ride shotgun with a sup for 2 days or longer if he doesn't feel your ready. Then get sent out. If you were running ground. They would send you out light and slowly increase it. Then bend you over backwards the following week . But sat air seems like a cakewalk .

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
A map and pep talk and away we went !
Don't stuff pkg
Don't miss A p/ u
Don't hit anything
You'll be fine !
Lol the good old days !!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What happens after you pass your on road test? I know you get c sent to school but how long does it take to be driving? I applied for Saturday Air Deliveries but I guess they will also pull you to do fill ins.
Drive like this, just much faster:

wp7qgm.gif

MrWon

After road test i think you're sent to get your Dot, then intergrad or however they decide to school you. School lasts about a week. I was out of school about a month before I started my 3 day on road training with a sup. Unfortunately I didn't get to go to intergrad. All in all it depends on the area of the country and the time of year you start. I was in a rush group of drivers trained for peak and I have never really stopped driving. Maybe 1 or 2 days i went back to my old position.

If you have not done it yet get on the computer at work and do all your corporate ie gate training for the diadv , and memorize the 5 keys and 10 point commentary "verbatim". Makes life a lot easier for you when you get to school.

MrWon

Ya. Week of school. Get the run around for a couple weeks. Finally ride shotgun with a sup for 2 days or longer if he doesn't feel your ready. Then get sent out. If you were running ground. They would send you out light and slowly increase it. Then bend you over backwards the following week . But sat air seems like a cakewalk .

Saturday air only pays 13.50 an hour. Its a cakewalk without the cake.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You kids are so lucky today ; you'll never get writers cramps from manually writing down every bar code onto paper , you'll never have to find carbon copy papers , you'll never have to be near a pay phone for your scheduled time to contact the center , and one word of warning never toss your clipboard on to a dash of a Ford Van ( P3 ) because the metal end of the clipboard was known for shattering the windshield .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
What was volume like back then though
The first Sat air were international upgrades , a dozen between 2 air drivers .
The first official start I was tasked to go into the airport , do the sort , and return to the center . The total was 22 and drivers were sent home .
It took some months for the volume to increase .
Back then most of Boston , all of Cambridge , Somerville , Arlington , Watertown , Waltham , Brookline , Newton and Belmont were dispatched from one center .
That is a lot of ground to cover , so each driver was given an area to do by zip code .
Some had light days and others were not , especially those doing areas of Boston .
We had quite a few drivers get lost , sometimes I had to go find them , not an easy task .

underworked1

You kids are so lucky today ; you'll never get writers cramps from manually writing down every bar code onto paper , you'll never have to find carbon copy papers , you'll never have to be near a pay phone for your scheduled time to contact the center , and one word of warning never toss your clipboard on to a dash of a Ford Van ( P3 ) because the metal end of the clipboard was known for shattering the windshield .
You guys were so lucky. No telematics, didn't have supes screaming about how many backs you had. Got to keep your bulkhead doors open and seatbelt off. Didn't have the micromanagement at all stages of the job. Didn't have near the volume.

MrWon

Sat. Air is a proving ground for all want-to-be drivers .
If you can't handle a simple easy day , how the heck are you going to survive a Monday .

I agree with you, thats why I said it is a cakewalk ie an easy job..... You just won't make much cake ie money doing it. Saturday air will sharpen your skills with the diad board and get you into the motions of entry and exit of the car with a tad bit of package selection. However deliveing 30 pkgs on the weekend is nothing compared to a weekday with 170 to 200 stops.

MrWon

Your first week will likely be disaster. Don't have high expectations for the first week. It gets much easier in the weeks to come

Not if he is just running air and he already knows a little bit about his city he will be fine. His first week as a "real" driver with a garbage preloader on a real route will be a disaster. No doubt about it.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Not if he is just running air and he already knows a little bit about his city he will be fine. His first week as a "real" driver with a garbage preloader on a real route will be a disaster. No doubt about it.
Our center uses preloaders as utility drivers so I did that for a few years. My 30 days was easy as hell because I had everything down by that point. It really helps to get out there and run routes as a utility driver so you can learn the areas and the methods before you qualify.

Dolce

After road test i think you're sent to get your Dot, then intergrad or however they decide to school you. School lasts about a week. I was out of school about a month before I started my 3 day on road training with a sup. Unfortunately I didn't get to go to intergrad. All in all it depends on the area of the country and the time of year you start. I was in a rush group of drivers trained for peak and I have never really stopped driving. Maybe 1 or 2 days i went back to my old position.

If you have not done it yet get on the computer at work and do all your corporate ie gate training for the diadv , and memorize the 5 keys and 10 point commentary "verbatim". Makes life a lot easier for you when you get to school.
Thanks