Passed Sorting Test Got No Raise

gsdashm

Been working at UPS as a unloader nearly 5 years now. I took the sorting test about a month ago and my first time sorting was last friday on April 24 2015. Since then I haven't gone back to the sort aisle and just stayed as a unloader. My question here is exactly when do I get my dollar raise? I passed my sorting test with a 100% and 1400 PPH and they had me sorting all day last friday. My supervisor said I can't get my raise until he thinks I'm good enough to deserve it. I talked to my steward and he was unsure of how it worked. What do I have to do in order to to get my dollar raise?

S

selfcancelsignal

In the words on the late great Ted Knight, "YOU'LL GET NOTHING & LIKE IT!!!"

Box Ox

In my experience, an email to your location's HR person helps. They check with the supervisor and put the raise through. If that doesn't work you should probably call your union local BA since your steward isn't sure what to do. Shouldn't be your supervisor's call. You're either doing the work that gives you the raise or you're not.

PT Car Washer

In my experience, an email to your location's HR person helps. They check with the supervisor and put the raise through. If that doesn't work you should probably call your union local BA since your steward isn't sure what to do. Shouldn't be your supervisor's call. You're either doing the work that gives you the raise or you're not.
He is not sorting. Only sorted one day a week ago as I guess some kind of test. Sounds to me like he is not in the sorting position yet.

gsdashm

yea Im still unloading, but I know some unloaders that just passed the test and got their raises right away without even sorting. They pass the test like a year ago that was when we had a different supervisor , this new sup is giving me a hard time with the raise.

PT Car Washer

yea Im still unloading, but I know some unloaders that just passed the test and got their raises right away without even sorting. They pass the test like a year ago that was when we had a different supervisor , this new sup is giving me a hard time with the raise.
Some sups will do this when they realize the low wages for a very physical job and want to keep good employees. Others think the money is coming out of their pocket. Just wait it out I guess.

blkmamba

Talk with your full time sup as you should get the raise when you passed the test. They to manually enter you enter a new time code that would reflect the raise and most likely your sup doesn't want to do it or know how so find his boss.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Others think the money is coming out of their pocket.
Which is silly because whether someone is listed as skilled or not doesn't affect our pay.

I'm honestly not sure how the process works. We don't have any sorters on my shift listed as skilled (sorter). Which I find to be absolute garbage and I have a couple guys who can sort and deserve it. Yet all the preloaders are listed as skilled. Go figure.

Shep92

File a grievance. If you took the test and passed you get the raise. Your boss can't tell you that you need to earn it. It's just that simple.

RolloTony Brown Town

Been working at UPS as a unloader nearly 5 years now. I took the sorting test about a month ago and my first time sorting was last friday on April 24 2015. Since then I haven't gone back to the sort aisle and just stayed as a unloader. My question here is exactly when do I get my dollar raise? I passed my sorting test with a 100% and 1400 PPH and they had me sorting all day last friday. My supervisor said I can't get my raise until he thinks I'm good enough to deserve it. I talked to my steward and he was unsure of how it worked. What do I have to do in order to to get my dollar raise?

In the building I worked in, according to the steward, if you pass the test or ever sort (even once) then you get he dollar raise forever, period. Tell your steward, and grieve it. You deserve your dollar. If you have the skill, you get the raise regardless of if you perform the job on any given day.

oldngray

nowhere special
I thought what matters is the job you are doing. If you pass the sort test but are still working in the unload then you should only get unload pay. I saw many people get paid different for part of a day if they move around between jobs. Mostly for sorters because preloaders who got the extra skill pay kept it regardless of what work they were doing. That is changing now with preload losing its status as a skilled job in many places.

Last edited: