Passing the Time in Smalls Sort (On Topic Please)

Fergalicious

I have to wait a full year before I can go back to Loading, so I still have a little bit of time until I can do that, which I want to. So for now, I'm just trying to make the best out of this position - because I actually really got the most and enjoyed the fast activity in load.

Besides the thoughts of making that survival money that they call a paycheck on a weekly basis, how does one make a job in small sort the least bit enjoyable or at least bearable??

I know I don't go to work to be entertained, and I should've known better than to expect that I'd be placed back into Loading (I at least wanted the workout that I know I'd get while loading) when I got rehired at UPS. But if I am going to be stuffing smalls into bags all day long aren't there at least any tricks to making this job at least a little bit more tolerable???

Smalls people, any tips???? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

km3

Since you want this thread deleted, there may not be any point in asking, but did you even ask if you could be transferred back to loading (or unloading)?

Fergalicious

Since you want this thread deleted, there may not be any point in asking, but did you even ask if you could be transferred back to loading (or unloading)?
I did, but I have to wait a full year before I can do that, so I still have a little bit of time until I can do that, which I want to. So for now, I'm just trying to make the best out of this position - because I actually really got the most and enjoyed the fast activity in load.

km3

I did, but I have to wait a full year before I can do that, so I still have a little bit of time until I can do that, which I want to. So for now, I'm just trying to make the best out of this position - because I actually really got the most and enjoyed the fast activity in load.

Well, I don't really know anything about what goes on up in the small sort. I understand wanting to do something more fast paced though. I was on TAW for a month and I had to do retapes and stuff smalls bags into other smalls bags. I couldn't wait to get back to full duty.

Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll find a way to move you before a year. Good luck.

Fergalicious

I didn't take anything personally. I'm not a fan of new folks whining about the work, especially when it's one of the easiest, most sought after jobs inside. It takes a certain type of person to be a UPSer. It's not for everyone and it's not something that is acquired. You either have it or you don't.

Also, based on your username you're likely a female and our UPS females are badasses so you're giving them a bad name and I'm not loving that.
stop-whining.jpg
I'm not a UPS newb, I've been with the company before and the way I felt about my previous job...is the reason why I've come back to the job because I loved loading. Easy or "cushy" is not what I'm looking, I'd rather the hard active work cause it's good work, it makes the day go by faster and that's what I'd prefer, but since I can't, I just want to know what I can do to make it go by quicker.

And if this is whining - I'll keep it going, only cause you wish otherwise.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm not a UPS newb, I've been with the company before and the way I felt about my previous job...is the reason why I've come back to the job because I loved loading. Easy or "cushy" is not what I'm looking, I'd rather the hard active work cause it's good work, it makes the day go by faster and that's what I'd prefer, but since I can't, I just want to know what I can do to make it go by quicker.

And if this is whining - I'll keep it going, only cause you wish otherwise.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445302164.852357.jpg

This could help

Fergalicious

Be careful ...
They thought you meant small headed as in pencil heads.

Burrhead might have the right solution.
It goes no faster so find someway to entertain yourself.
Do they allow you to listen to music via ear plugs or headphones?
Nope. They don't allow us to bring anything related to media at all, unless it's a cell phone which is for emergencies only.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have to wait a full year before I can go back to Loading, so I still have a little bit of time until I can do that, which I want to. So for now, I'm just trying to make the best out of this position - because I actually really got the most and enjoyed the fast activity in load.

Besides the thoughts of making that survival money that they call a paycheck on a weekly basis, how does one make a job in small sort the least bit enjoyable or at least bearable??

I know I don't go to work to be entertained, and I should've known better than to expect that I'd be placed back into Loading (I at least wanted the workout that I know I'd get while loading) when I got rehired at UPS. But if I am going to be stuffing smalls into bags all day long aren't there at least any tricks to making this job at least a little bit more tolerable???

Smalls people, any tips???? :p
Can you work where the smalls bags are opened and the packages are dumped onto the smalls belt? It was called "de-bag" when I started. Thats where most rookies and TAWs were placed if they were "lucky" enough to be put in smalls. I started there and when I would get bored or fedup with sorting or bagging I'd go back up to de-bag to pass the time.

Fergalicious

Can you work where the smalls bags are opened and the packages are dumped onto the smalls belt? It was called "de-bag" when I started. Thats where most rookies and TAWs were placed if they were "lucky" enough to be put in smalls. I started there and when I would get bored or fedup with sorting or bagging I'd go back up to de-bag to pass the time.
I'm fairly sure they'd allow me to cross train (if that's what it'd be considered in that area) to do that job, it sounds like the next best thing right now and it wouldn't hurt at all to have that option. I'm bagging, so I'll bring that up to my supervisors as soon as possible. Thanks for that suggestion, that can work for now.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm fairly sure they'd allow me to cross train (if that's what it'd be considered in that area) to do that job, it sounds like the next best thing right now and it wouldn't hurt at all to have that option. I'm bagging, so I'll bring that up to my supervisors as soon as possible. Thanks for that suggestion, that can work for now.
I didn't mind smalls. After some time you will prefer it over swimming in packages too.

Fergalicious

I remember our hardest, craziest, heaviest day last year during peak in load- volume was at it's craziest, but very much the most anticipated kind of crazy volume, talk about swimming in packages! I don't know why everyone hated it, to me there was nothing like the thrill and the pride that I felt after knocking those cans down, one after another with hella decent quality considering what time it was. Maybe it was the energy supplements, lol, but that was the ultimate challenge and it was so much fun. Not one moment of downtime that entire 10 hours.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I remember our hardest, craziest, heaviest day last year during peak in load- volume was at it's craziest, but very much the most anticipated kind of crazy volume, talk about swimming in packages! I don't know why everyone hated it, to me there was nothing like the thrill and the pride that I felt after knocking those cans down, one after another with hella decent quality considering what time it was. Maybe it was the energy supplements, lol, but that was the ultimate challenge and it was so much fun. Not one moment of downtime that entire 10 hours.
A lot of these guys can't understand that.
They are Beaten Men!