Passports: 'do not driver release or redirect'...what would you do?

iruhnman630

Today I delivered about 60 passports. They weren't shipped as sig req'd but in the comment line of the address labels was the note: 'Do not driver release or redirect.'

The result: nearly 100 0f my 135 stops today became signature stops, with 40 send agains for tomorrow.

Since the shipper did not actually pay for theses deliveries to be signature required, what would you have done?

yeldarb

I would have informed the center by ODS, and done as they said, and printed off the message that they had sent me. However, I know that is not possible to do everywhere, especially in smaller centers.

Re-Raise

Today I delivered about 60 passports. They weren't shipped as sig req'd but in the comment line of the address labels was the note: 'Do not driver release or redirect.'

The result: nearly 100 0f my 135 stops today became signature stops, with 40 send agains for tomorrow.

Since the shipper did not actually pay for theses deliveries to be signature required, what would you have done?

If they don't come up as sig req in the bar code, I would DR them.

Why would you get 60 passports on the same route? If everyone on your route is leaving the country , just think how easy it is going to be soon.

brownedout

From the PKG INFO menu choice you can make any pkg sig req if shipper neglected to do so. As a cover clerk I get to see this alot. This is just a shipper who does not want to pay the extra $ for a signature option. Looks like you'll be covering alot less miles tommorrow.

iruhnman630

Why would you get 60 passports on the same route? .
It was strange to see so many delivered at one time. I also had people coming up to me asking if I had their passport as well.

Send agains are a current flavor of the month in our center, so I'm sure I'll here about it in the morning.

iruhnman630

From the PKG INFO menu choice you can make any pkg sig req if shipper neglected to do so. As a cover clerk I get to see this alot. This is just a shipper who does not want to pay the extra $ for a signature option. Looks like you'll be covering alot less miles tommorrow.
Yup...called in around noon asking if they wanted me to do that. Shame on me for forgetting that option before that.

Johney

When shippers do this I hit the adult sig only button and really make them pay for it:biting:If you are going to try and rip us off we will rip you off.

iruhnman630

Well, my center manager found the excessive number of passports odd as well.

LP pulled them out of my load this morning, and sent a message to the other drivers not to deliver them, sheet as non-delivery security.

After contacting homeland security it turns out they came from a company contracted by Guatamala to process them, and they shipped out around 500 in this area.

They will be back on the car tomorrow. How do you say 'sign here' in spanish again?

brownedout

All of this follow the barcode talk reminds me of a NDA del a while back. Before the days of PAS/EDD, and SPORH, and Intercept. I had a delivery from a jeweler on Rodeo Dr, Beverly Hills. So I notice this and I'm thinking I'll get a signature, but the service code is an 01, and there's absolutely no note, notation, sticker of any kind asking for one. Is it costume jewelry? Is it just a couple $100? Hell, is it even jewelry at all? I DR it. Start getting DIAD msgs shortly thereafter, you better believe I broke off, returned, re-scanned, got a signature. Explained to consignee what was going on, retrieved empty box from them for Mgt./LP. Piece of jewelry inside was valued over $10,000. I like to think this wouldn't have turned out bad for me if the consignee wasn't so cooperative, but I'm sure glad I never had to find out. Brings to forefront the ole adage "IF IN DOUBT, DON'T DR"

brownedout

Well, my center manager found the excessive number of passports odd as well.

LP pulled them out of my load this morning, and sent a message to the other drivers not to deliver them, sheet as non-delivery security.

After contacting homeland security it turns out they came from a company contracted by Guatamala to process them, and they shipped out around 500 in this area.

They will be back on the car tomorrow. How do you say 'sign here' in spanish again?
Shouldn't all of the technology UPS has invested in avoid this surprise at any center. I thought this once last year when my center was surprised by over 1000 Wells Fargo envelopes, that all came in NDA. I think this almost every day when volume projections are usually off by close to 600 pieces. Not surprisingly 2-3 routes. Or are they?

upsman68

All of this follow the barcode talk reminds me of a NDA del a while back. Before the days of PAS/EDD, and SPORH, and Intercept. I had a delivery from a jeweler on Rodeo Dr, Beverly Hills. So I notice this and I'm thinking I'll get a signature, but the service code is an 01, and there's absolutely no note, notation, sticker of any kind asking for one. Is it costume jewelry? Is it just a couple $100? Hell, is it even jewelry at all? I DR it. Start getting DIAD msgs shortly thereafter, you better believe I broke off, returned, re-scanned, got a signature. Explained to consignee what was going on, retrieved empty box from them for Mgt./LP. Piece of jewelry inside was valued over $10,000. I like to think this wouldn't have turned out bad for me if the consignee wasn't so cooperative, but I'm sure glad I never had to find out. Brings to forefront the ole adage "IF IN DOUBT, DON'T DR"

Why wasn't this package controlled as a high value? Some one screwed up. I don't think you would have been responsible for this if it came up missing.