Passports: 'do not driver release or redirect'...what would you do?

satellitedriver

If I knew I was delivering 60 passports that did not require a signature, my first phone call would be to my center and tell them I was calling Homeland Security.
When you said Homeland Security said it was cool that a company in Guatemala ships 500 passports into the US, I decided I do not have enough ammo.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They will be back on the car tomorrow. How do you say 'sign here' in spanish again?

"Su Feerma, por favor" is how I ask for a signature in Spanish. I dont know if I spelled it right or not, but I can pronounce it well enough for the customer to understand me. I can also ask what someones last name is ("qual es tu apiedo"), I can ask for a money order, and I can say please, thank you and goodbye as well as being able to count to 15 in Spanish. Beyond that, I am pretty well screwed. I used to deliver to a "Mexican store" that sold grocery items to the local hispanic population, and the lady behind the counter taught me some basic UPS "survival Spanish". It has come in handy more than once.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Why wasn't this package controlled as a high value? Some one screwed up. I don't think you would have been responsible for this if it came up missing.
The $23,000 pkg that I never touched and was accused of stealing wasn't in the high-value system.We had PAS/EDD at the time.

old levi's

blank space
"Su Feerma, por favor" is how I ask for a signature in Spanish. I dont know if I spelled it right or not, but I can pronounce it well enough for the customer to understand me. I can also ask what someones last name is ("qual es tu apiedo"), I can ask for a money order, and I can say please, thank you and goodbye as well as being able to count to 15 in Spanish. Beyond that, I am pretty well screwed. I used to deliver to a "Mexican store" that sold grocery items to the local hispanic population, and the lady behind the counter taught me some basic UPS "survival Spanish". It has come in handy more than once.

Aqui manana comes in handy when they don't have payment for a COD. (here tomorrow)

If it's Friday say aqui lunes. Here Monday.

Interesting side note: In my experience, Hispanics almost always have the money order ready on the first attempt.

Also, if a school age child is present, have them translate for the adult; they do that quite often.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Aqui manana comes in handy when they don't have payment for a COD. (here tomorrow)

If it's Friday say aqui lunes. Here Monday.

Interesting side note: In my experience, Hispanics almost always have the money order ready on the first attempt.

Also, if a school age child is present, have them translate for the adult; they do that quite often.

...or perhaps they could learn the primary language of the country they are living in and enjoying the benefits of...

worldwide

Today I delivered about 60 passports. They weren't shipped as sig req'd but in the comment line of the address labels was the note: 'Do not driver release or redirect.'

The result: nearly 100 0f my 135 stops today became signature stops, with 40 send agains for tomorrow.

Since the shipper did not actually pay for theses deliveries to be signature required, what would you have done?

I would have DR'd them if the location qualified as a safe DR location. The shipper can write whatever they want in the comments--what if they wrote "deliver after 6:00 PM ONLY" or "deliver by 8:00 AM only." If the shipper wanted a signature upon delivery, there is a service called Delivery Confirmation Signature Required. There is a charge for that service because typically at a residential location, you have to make 2 or 3 attempts to get a signature and a confirmation with signature is sent back to the shipper. If they signature was so critical to the shipper, they should have paid for the service.

brownedout

Why wasn't this package controlled as a high value? Some one screwed up. I don't think you would have been responsible for this if it came up missing.
Yes someone screwed up. More than likely the shipper never entered a declared value. Possibly they got insurance by some other means but still never entered value. I'm going back quite a few years, and with the various shipping programs we have, don't even know if this is possible. As for responsibility, I'll say again, glad I never had to find out.

satellitedriver

I know basic Spanish/Mexican.
Living in Texas where the population is approaching 50% Latino/Mexican it is a common skill.
Albeit, I always only speak English when I am delivering.
If UPS wishes me to communicate to a consignee in a non-English language, they can pay for a Rosetta Stone program and pay me to learn the "lingo".
Right or wrong, America is an English language based country.
English is the worlds business language.
I am a firm believer in having immigrants welcomed in to the U.S.A, if they come in legally.
I love the bumper sticker that says;
"Welcome to America, now learn English"

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
If they don't come up as sig req in the bar code, I would DR them.

Why would you get 60 passports on the same route? If everyone on your route is leaving the country , just think how easy it is going to be soon.
so,, regarding the OP.. you took out a route w/100 letters and 35 boxes,, the statistical probability gods are against this post being legit