paternity leave question

how long do you have to use your fmla after your children is born? I was considering taking 1-2 weeks when the child is around 5 months old.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why not schedule two weeks of vacation instead?

FMLA is not designed for you to play Daddy for two weeks, especially when there are no medical issues involved.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As I recall, the "M" in FMLA stands for Medical. If there are medical issues then by all means take the (unpaid) time off. If there are no medical issues then schedule a week or two of vacation if you want to play Daddy.

By The Book

When my child was born the fmla was not available. I used sick/vacation to have that time to bond and help out around the house. Fast forward to the present and the new guys have more ways to be with mom and baby without having to burn vacation days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When my child was born the fmla was not available. I used sick/vacation to have that time to bond and help out around the house. Fast forward to the present and the new guys have more ways to be with mom and baby without having to burn vacation days.

If the guy wants to play Daddy just take two weeks vacation.

By The Book

If the guy wants to play Daddy just take two weeks vacation.
The new guys don't have to. If I had these new leaves available I wouldn't use vacation either, unless I wanted to extend it a bit. I also might string out some sick days as well. Am I a bad person for doing it this way, I think not. I can't tell someone to not do something they have every right to do.

What'dyabringmetoday???

...and more power to you for doing so......don't you find it a bit strange that this guy is waiting until his child is 5 months old to take (unpaid) time off?
I find it strange that you tell everyone that it is none of their business regarding what you do yet you stick your nose into everyone else's business. Now get in there and get some recycling done.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As I recall, the "M" in FMLA stands for Medical. If there are medical issues then by all means take the (unpaid) time off. If there are no medical issues then schedule a week or two of vacation if you want to play Daddy.
A father bonding with their child is no smaller medical issue than a woman bonding with their child.

Ill be taking a month off after my wife goes back to work to help her with the kid and to have some alone with the child also.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My first child was delivered CS. Back then if your first was CS, then the next child would be automatically. We scheduled the surgery for my second child for a Sunday, and I was going to just take off the entire next week. If I remember correctly, they wouldn't let me move a vacation week to that week, so I just took 5 option 3 days. Somehow, someone put me down that week as a leave of absence. Noone ever admitted doing it. Evidently with a LOA, UPS doesn't pay your insurance for that week. (that was back then, 26 years ago) Shortly thereafter, I started getting notes in the mail that all the hospitalization, dr. fees, EVERYTHING wasn't covered by insurance and I was responsible. WTF! I read the contract and it said that the only way to take off for a LOA it had to be approved by the DM. Him and him only. I had a meeting with him the next day and I was wound tight by the time I saw him. I told him that if my wife or myself had to go to the ER for any reason, that hospital (which was close to my house) would probably deny us admission. I called that guy about every name in the book. He asked me what could he do to make things right. I told him he could call every one of those people who claimed I was late paying their bills and explain why to them. I gave him a list and phone #'s, I'll be damned, he called every one of my debtors and explained UPS was at fault and they would pay the bills asap. Best division manager I ever had. Probably the only time anyone has called their DM a sorry sob and got away with it.lol.

IF you must know... I cant get any vacation picks I want because there always taken by higher senior drivers... The time I would like to take off when we will be having relatives from different countries visiting our new family to see our children. id like to be around for that.. I plan on taking (if i can get it 1 week when my child is first born) then using 2 weeks of FMLA around 4-5 months later depending on when we invite all the family over