PAWLENTY throws in the towel. Some funny stuff!

bbsam

Staff member
Just because you wish to dress down, does not mean much because no one cares about who you are.
Right. And God is no more impressed with a First Lady dressed in gowns of royalty so why put on airs for the masses? Whom are we to impress?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Right. And God is no more impressed with a First Lady dressed in gowns of royalty so why put on airs for the masses? Whom are we to impress?

There is a certain decorum that comes with the position. Granted, she wasn't flying to meet with foreign dignitaries, but like it or not she is the First Lady and should dress accordingly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

She looks she is ready to weed the Rose Garden. Is it asking too much to dress for the occasion? I don't fly very often but when I do I put on a pair of khaki's, polo shirt and some docksiders.

moreluck

golden ticket member
She looks she is ready to weed the Rose Garden. Is it asking too much to dress for the occasion? I don't fly very often but when I do I put on a pair of khaki's, polo shirt and some docksiders.

Just think, "golfing attire". That look will do for just about any event....except the Kardashian wedding.

bbsam

Staff member
Flying is an "occasion"? I consider it a method of transport.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Flying is an "occasion"? I consider it a method of transport.
Most people are not the 'globe-trotter' you are. Most people fly less than once a year..........and it is an exciting adventure to most.

Maybe you just walk by the roses too.

bbsam

Staff member
Most people are not the 'globe-trotter' you are. Most people fly less than once a year..........and it is an exciting adventure to most.

Maybe you just walk by the roses too.
I don't fly often at all, and for that reason. Adventure is a pickup truck and a mountain bike.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I fly at least once a year, I just try to dress comfortably. Like bbsam said it's just a way to get from point A to point B, and honestly with all the security and logistics it's kind of a hassle. I would definitely not characterize it as an occasion to dress up or "represent". Jeans and a sweatshirt if it's cool, shorts and a t-shirt if it's warm.

Buddybrown

I fly at least once a year, I just try to dress comfortably. Like bbsam said it's just a way to get from point A to point B, and honestly with all the security and logistics it's kind of a hassle. I would definitely not characterize it as an occasion to dress up or "represent". Jeans and a sweatshirt if it's cool, shorts and a t-shirt if it's warm.
I agree with this unless you are the 1st family. Comfortable yes, with some class too. After all you're representing the leadership of the free world and all eyes will be on you. Who cares what we the people wear, nobody will see our picture the next day comparing, analyzing and judging... It’s all about decorum and class, leading by example. Oops, forgot the leadership part is questionable at best.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
EDGARTOWN — Martha’s Vineyard workers and visitors may gripe about gridlock when President Obama decides to take his 15-car motorcade to the golf course this week, but pity the poor private-plane owners: They are soooooo inconvenienced by the First Vacation, many will boycott The Rock!
“In prior years we lost about 75 to 80 percent of our business,” said Martha’s Vineyard Airport manager Sean Flynn. “But the process has been improved upon this year and we’re hoping that more people will be willing to fly.”
An FAA Temporary Flight Restriction is in place over the island for the duration of the presidential vacation, meaning that no private planes can fly directly into the Vineyard without first stopping at one of three “gateway aiports” for a security screening. The gateways are Hyannis, Providence and White Plains, N.Y., and private jets must register by phone 24 hours in advance in order to clear their passage to the Vineyard.

“Everybody’s pissed,” said one summer rez who hobnobs with the rich and famous. “You have to call in advance to sign up for what amounts to a proctology exam and if you are flying late at night, sometimes there’s only one person around and you end up waiting and waiting.”
Can you just imagine the inconvenience!!!
One private-plane owner, who asked to remain nameless, cut his vacation short last week so he wouldn’t have to deal with the flight restrictions.
“I know people have little sympathy for this kind of stuff,” he said. “But it’s extra fuel, an extra landing, it’s an imposition and it’s just not good business.”
The high flier said originally the Secret Service wanted to route all traffic — even the flights from the Boston area — through White Plains, where the private jet would have to pick up an agent, fly with the agent to the Vineyard, then be responsible for flying the agent back to New York.
“It was ridiculous,” he said. “Fortunately they changed it, but I didn’t want to deal with any of it, so I just left.”
Flynn said most of the private plane traffic to the Vineyard comes from summer home owners traveling from the New York metro area. (Not, in our experience, the most patient people.) And on a busy August day, as many as 700 small jets could be headed to for The Rock — setting up a potential security-line situation at the gateways to rival Logan International Airport at spring break!
“Private fliers are used to being able to go between Point A and Point B without restriction and whenever there is restriction, there’s griping,” Flynn said. “But people generally understand that you are not going to have free flight over the island when the president is visiting, and as much as possible, they have put a process in place that achieves the goal with a minimum of effort.”

bbsam

Staff member
Still pitying the poor private plane owners? Poor bastards. What's to become of these middle class stalwarts if they can no longer live the Wright Brother's dream?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Still pitying the poor private plane owners? Poor bastards. What's to become of these middle class stalwarts if they can no longer live the Wright Brother's dream?
There are many costs and jobs involved here, airports survive on their landing fees and repair works create jobs, along with fueling the aircraft, transportation to and from the airports, local businesses need these planes to come & go on a regular basis.

Here's a nice idea instead of flying to the Islands they could take a special high speed train thru a tunnel( say NYC to the Hamptons onto both Islands ), I'm sure bhos will include this in his next major jobs bill .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
[h=1]President keeps low profile on Martha’s Vineyard[/h]http://articles.boston.com/2011-08-20/news/29909644_1_greg-craig-blue-heron-farm-obama
But it was later, at the Vineyard Golf Course in Edgartown, where the president’s recalcitrance was most evident. Approaching the eighth tee in a golf cart with friend and frequent golfing buddy Eric Whitaker, the president noticed three TV cameras and a Globe photographer across the street. Rather than stop and be photographed teeing off, the president skipped the hole.
Nor did the president show up at “Voices for Obama,’’ a fund-raiser for his reelection campaign held the night before. The commander in chief was, in fact, just arriving at his deluxe Chilmark digs as 300 supporters - each of whom paid $100 - were filing into Union Chapel in Oak Bluffs.

Afterward, it was off to the Oak Bluffs abode of Ron and Judy Davenport, founders of Pittsburgh-based Sheridan Broadcasting, where 170 guests, each of whom contributed between $500 and $2,500, wined and dined. While Democrats like to call themselves the big-tent party, they could have used a larger awning on this night. “We were sold out,’’ Lesser said afterward. “There was a huge buzz and rush for tickets.’’

Seems like the people on vacation sure do have a lot of money to throw around.