Pay actual/guarantee

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by kerbinator, Nov 19, 2013.

1. kerbinator

kerbinator Member

I'll probably be signing up to work the day after thanksgiving, and the signup sheet has an option of pay actual or pay guarantee. What's the difference exactly? From my understanding, pay guarantee is paid 8 hrs no matter what. If that's correct, then why would anyone choose pay actual?
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Paid guarantee is 8 hours----pay actual is punch to punch.

Why would anyone choose pay actual? Perhaps they have family in town and just want to work a few hours in the morning. Maybe their family is going to spend the day shopping and they will catch up with each other later in the day. It has been a few years since I worked that day but I would also choose pay actual.

You can get your 8 but it may not all be on road-----you may end up working in the bldg after your last stop to get your 8. Pushing a broom, washing package cars, etc.
  3. kerbinator

kerbinator Member

Ohhh I get ya. I was thinking like if you got done in 7 hours or whatever, you'd still get paid for 8, like a normal workday.
  4. UpstateNYUPSer

Depends upon whether the sup wants to go home or not.
  5. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Around here requesting 8 gets you 10, I worked 11 last year.
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

If someone here requests their 8 they make sure they have more than enough work on their cars.
  7. cachsux

cachsux Wah

If you work 7 and they toss you in the building to get your guarantee of 8 ask the for training on how to operate the broom. You'll get kicked out the door and paid 8 with a payroll adjustment.
  8. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

Is that because noone in management has been trained on the broom themselves?
  9. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Yep the last time I worked New Year's Eve I worked over 11. Pretty nice check.
  10. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

I get paid for 8 hours every holiday.
  11. kerbinator

kerbinator Member

Well yeah. But if you work it, it's double time on top of that. So essentially triple time.