Pay Change - PT Supervisors?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Lifer, not to sound naive, but are you saying that layoffs (if needed) within mgt are not based on seniority but rather based on performance? I assume that would mean that the center manager would be calling the shots for PT sups and perhaps the center manager's boss for FT sups. Thank goodness for Union protection.

Wow! Has hell frozen over?

KidUPS

Why would a PT sup deserve a bonus anyways? Most just play on the computer with the timecards at the end of each night and make up the start time schedule for the next week.

If anyone deserves a "bonus" it's the people doing the work.

The burdens, the burdens. Issues, operations, attendance. A good sup takes his employees problems and issues onto his shoulders. He also has to take on whatever burdens his Full timer wants to add on.

UPS Lifer

Lifer, not to sound naive, but are you saying that layoffs (if needed) within mgt are not based on seniority but rather based on performance? I assume that would mean that the center manager would be calling the shots for PT sups and perhaps the center manager's boss for FT sups. Thank goodness for Union protection.

Absolutely.... I speak from experience on this one.

Division Mgr would discuss the layoffs of FT supervisors. Normally, he/she would probably hold a Division Mtg to decide who gets laid off and what the new makeup of management ratios will be within the division. The managers would have a lot of input but the final word comes from the DM.

Seniority is a consideration but not the final word. This goes for all FT mgmt positions. With PT mgmt positions the best stick around and adios to the rest!

Mapp

Choo Choo
nevermind, I'm an idiot and suck at math, seems like I'm getting paid less a month but ends up being more in a year

Last edited:

writer

Preoad Supervisor
I don't know where you get your info. We do nothing on the computers here, much less determine start times. We use the computer to clock in and out. That is it.

Why would a PT sup deserve a bonus anyways? Most just play on the computer with the timecards at the end of each night and make up the start time schedule for the next week.

If anyone deserves a "bonus" it's the people doing the work.

writer

Preoad Supervisor
Well, the changes have pissed off several here since checks have come out. Looks like the "hourly" rate is showing less than what it would be if the weekly salary is divided by 27.5. Anyone else?

W

westsideworma

YEA i have that issue by about 5% and thats after a 5% increase!

Lets be honest, who didn't see them screwing this up? I kept a close eye on everything (printed out PTRS sheets and actual checks and such) and will continue to do so until they fix this abomination that should have just been left alone to begin with. Leave it to UPS to complicate a relatively simple process of paying someone salary.

xtremejimmy

i was told that instead of being based on a 110 hr/month based salary, it will be based on 119 hr/month. Thats what my HR rep told me at least. However, after doing the math of what my first check is of this year so far, monthly, I was making about 15 bucks more take home each month. go figure. To me, it seems like a pay cut. I gotta look at a calender and see how it will work more in depth.

drewed

Shankman
yea i came up with the same math not thinking through the entire year...when my sup sat down with me and did the math for the entire year i came out up about 1500

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The burdens, the burdens. Issues, operations, attendance. A good sup takes his employees problems and issues onto his shoulders. He also has to take on whatever burdens his Full timer wants to add on.

I disagree. 80-90%, They run to the friend/T if there's a problem or burden. A GOOD supervisor will handle the problem themselves, but most are too scared and have no idea what they're donig.

upser_J

This is the pits.

I'd prefer our pay went back to monthly, on the 26th of every month. As a college student, that made life easy. I would get paid at one time and was able to easily pay my rent and bills and not worry about budgeting throughout the month. I was peeved enough when we went to bi-monthly, but now this?

And our half-month "bonus" check is now going away? Now I'll have to save up for XMas throughout the year. (Like that's going to happen :()

Once we go to weekly pay and no more bonus, we'll officially be what everyone already knows we are - glorified loaders.

hey here's a tip.... learn to budget. welcome to the real world.

writer

Preoad Supervisor
Well, it appears here that all of us are actually making LESS. The best I can figure is my pay is $30-35 less per week. The other guys are saying the same thing and the hourly rate listed on the pay stub is less than what it would be at the old salary rate. About .50 per hour less.

W

westsideworma

I ask again, did anyone actually think the company wouldn't benefit more from this than you? Big companies like UPS don't make changes such as this unless it benefits them somewhere. Sure they pitched it like it was some great thing for us (losing premium time/etc is going to suck come peak), but just like PAS, most people who've done it both ways prefer the old. UPS sometimes changes just for the sake of change (ie: fix something that isn't broken), this would be one of those instances.

All of these issues posted here have been going around my building as well, but we've got two choices, take it or leave it as we've got no one that will back us up :wink2:

I make roughly 90 bucks less a month now, add to that our increased healthcare costs and this was definitely a raw deal for part-time supes. Unfortunately, I believe United Way contributions will be cut this year to compensate (already heard others in my building mention it). I know mine will be as I'd rather volunteer at our local food bank/shelter (and do from time to time) anyway.

W

westsideworma

yea i came up with the same math not thinking through the entire year...when my sup sat down with me and did the math for the entire year i came out up about 1500

he wasn't from IE was he? you know how their math is :wink2:

writer

Preoad Supervisor
No one is talking overtime. ????

It could have been simple. We were all getting a salary based on 27.5 hours per week, twice that for the checks. It could simply have been left like tis and paid weekly instead of the other way. WHY make it so damn complicated??? Even with the Xmas "bonus" built in the rest of the year we are all getting paid LESS.

Read the fine print my friends no more overtime for partime sups