Pay for thanksgiving

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Friday is straight time here. They are forcing from the bottom up. One of the FT guys said he asked to work and was told they wanted to use the casuals and lower seniority guys. He is going to press the issue as we have always been able to work in the past. I normally work that day but am on vacation that week. It is such easy money.

In our local you would be able to work Black Friday even though you were on vacation the week of Thanksgiving. Have a coworker that has taken the week of Thanksgiving off for years because it is the week of deer hunting in WI. He hunts Sat through Wed, returns home for Thanksgiving and then works Black Friday for his 8 hours at double time. Technically, he is not on vacation Thur and Friday as they are paid holidays. In most instances, he has already taken two additional days off prior to Thanksgiving week as in lieu of days.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In our local you would be able to work Black Friday even though you were on vacation the week of Thanksgiving. Have a coworker that has taken the week of Thanksgiving off for years because it is the week of deer hunting in WI. He hunts Sat through Wed, returns home for Thanksgiving and then works Black Friday for his 8 hours at double time. Technically, he is not on vacation Thur and Friday as they are paid holidays. In most instances, he has already taken two additional days off prior to Thanksgiving week as in lieu of days.
It depends on how the days off are taken. Here, if the driver takes the time as a full week that would be a grievance and one that I would file. If the driver is on a bid vacation week, mgt cannot work that driver.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
The driver in question grieved this issue years ago and won. It was precedent setting in our local and others have used it to work Black Friday also even though they had a scheduled vacation the week of Thanksgiving. It was his argument that he had taken two days vacation earlier in the year as in lieu of days for Thanksgiving and the day after. Since those two days were taken prior to his actual bid week he technically could not be on vacation again as that would exceed his allotted vacation time.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
In our area drivers and article 22's get double plus the day the air people pt and air drivers get straight time plus the day that is why I take off would rather have the 4 day weekend since I have top seniority

rocket man

I am a temp. Was wondering if i will get paid my drivers rate for thursday? Or will i get paid my inside rate. I have been driving for over a year now. Can someone please answer this?
I feel bad for you THERE is not a person in your center you can ask what did you work with your eyes closed wake up get involved please have a good holiday

cpt.brad

Early Payday?

Do we get paid wednesday this week because of the thanksgiving holiday? Just wondering, cause it seems like we would. Any help much app.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Re: Early Payday?

Banks are open on friday, I would assume that is when the checks go in, we should get a paycheck wednesday, but I dont think you can cash it until friday.

I could be wrong.

bluehdmc

I have direct deposit and am paperless, after reading this thread, I checked my pay advice. It's on there already listing payday as 11/23/11 which would be Wednesday. I'll know for sure after midnite tonite.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have direct deposit and am paperless, after reading this thread, I checked my pay advice. It's on there already listing payday as 11/23/11 which would be Wednesday. I'll know for sure after midnite tonite.

I think you may be confused. The 11/23/11 shown is today's date. The most recent paystub is 11/18/11. Friday is a UPS holiday but not a bank holiday. I am pretty sure that we don't get paid until Friday.

bluehdmc

I think you may be confused. The 11/23/11 shown is today's date. The most recent paystub is 11/18/11. Friday is a UPS holiday but not a bank holiday. I am pretty sure that we don't get paid until Friday.

As I write this the little box in the right hand corner of my computer says 11/22/2011. The pay advice on UPSers is for period begin 11/13/2011 end 11/19/2011 and the hours are correct for the hours I work last week. On the list is say paycheck issue date fo 11/23/2011, the previous check is listed as 11/17/2011. After midnite tonite I can check my bank balance to see if the money is there.

Last edited:

bluehdmc

No money in my bank account this morning. I guess this way UPS can say they pay you Wed since you don't have to work Thurs, or Fri yet they can make another .00005% interest on payroll. Scott the Bean Counter has this all figured out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

bulll s now i really wonder who you are? You are so full of it dont take advise from upstate nyer . I calling your local on mon finding out why you dont get time and a half

I will use little words just for you:

We do not get paid time and a half for working the day after Thanksgiving in my center.