Pay increases from the bottom to the top

I've used the search tool to try to figure this whole system out but I haven't found anything..

I am trying to figure this out.. If someone starts at the bottom, part time package handler at 9.50 per hour and is doing it for the long term payoff of becoming a delivery driver, how does the pay scale work between those two points? For instance if it take 4 years on average to move from one position to the other, how do pay raises work? Or do they just keep you at that 9.50 for 4 years!? It doesn't seem possible that would be the case. I know in an apprenticeship for a union construction job there are set in stone pay increases 2 times a year for 5 years until you hit the top basically.. is UPS similar to this?

PT Car Washer

4 year progression. Start $8.50, 90 days $9.50, 1 year $10.00, 2 year $10.50, 3 year $11.00, 4 year $11.87. Add $1.00 for a sorting job. After progression you receive the general wage increases as agreed upon.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I think where you're confused is that part-time and full-time are under entirely different pay systems. Part-time employees will never hit top rate. There will always be someone doing the same work as you for more or less money when you're part-time (with a few exceptions like part-time driving). Once you have enough seniority to bid to a full-time job, you start at the bottom of their progression, which will hit top-rate after 4 years.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There is no set amount of time until u become a driver. One of our new drivers was making $20 plus an hour part time it took him so long.

OK thank you guys.. so there is an increase as time goes on. That was the answer I was looking for. DriveinDriveout, so a part time increases are still .50 - 1.00 - 1.00 - .50 ? but if you never go full time you top off less. correct?

JL 0513

There's guys in my center who have worked part time for 25 years (not to become a driver obviously). They're making over $25/hr doing the same work as new hires making $9.50. So yeah, technically, there's no cap.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Is anything over 8 hours in a day overtime? Also, is it time and a half?
How about weekends?
  • For full time drivers: OT (1.5x) after 8 in a day, 40 in a week. If you don't want excessive OT (over 9.5 hours/day for at least 3 days in a week) there is the potential to be paid triple time (3x) for the hours over 9.5 as a penalty for the company continuing to overload you. Weekend premium pay varies, I'm a little rusty there. For ex. if you only worked Tue-Fri; Sat would be straight time for the first 8 hours or until you hit 40 for the week.
  • For part time package handlers: it varies around the country a little, but mostly OT (1.5x) after 5 hours daily. Except in some areas where if you agree to work 2 shifts you will get a guarantee of 8 hours work/pay, but OT only after 8.
  • For part time 'bid' air drivers: OT (1.5x) after 8/40. No automatic OT for Saturday even if you already worked M-friend.
  • I think it varies regionally about a part time package handler who does extra work as a seasonal driver helper.

DTAHONDA

4 year progression. Start $8.50, 90 days $9.50, 1 year $10.00, 2 year $10.50, 3 year $11.00, 4 year $11.87. Add $1.00 for a sorting job. After progression you receive the general wage increases as agreed upon.
You're wrong. Ive been working at ups for 1 year and 6 months, & im making 11 an hour. I started loading package cars, so i started at 9.50

PT Car Washer

There's guys in my center who have worked part time for 25 years (not to become a driver obviously). They're making over $25/hr doing the same work as new hires making $9.50. So yeah, technically, there's no cap.
There is a cap. $30.70 unskilled, $31.75 skilled. Red circle PTer.

tre305

Question. When you guys say that there is no top pay for part timers, does that mean that us insiders will continue to get a raise every year? Correct me if I'm wrong but is that why we have current part timers now who have 20-30 years in making close or at top driver pay rate?