Pay system

Sean1992

Brownbagger
Is there a legitmate reason why ups uses a "point system" to calculate your pay? If I work 19 hours and 35 min why not pay me that? Why do they have to turn it into a decimal and make it difficult? It seems like they do it just to save a buck here and there?

kingOFchester

It is used to eliminate the step of converting between minutes and hours. One less step or program that would be needed to calculate pay.

Just Lurking

Remember the old days of daily time cards. You would punch in and out out on actual time clocks.

It's was funny how an 8 would turn into 0 when the processed by payroll.

Just Lurking

Yea, I can see them accusing employee's of stealing 1/100th of a minute at a time.
CYA at the panel... :batman2:

Always find it amazing that the company can go to extremes sometimes on stealing time.

JUst look at taking breaks and lunch(s)

Break 12:00:59 records 12:00
12:09:01 records 12:10

A 10 min break gets 8:02 but

Break 12:00:01 records 12:00
12:09:59 records 12:10

A 10 min break gets 9:58.

It all works outs in the wash unless you trying to game the system.

Kae3106

The only time you really have to watch is when you had an adjustment. The Time and Labor requests are supposed to be entered in hundredths but every now and then you have an operator who enters the request in minutes by mistake. Payroll has to process what was entered, not what they think it should be. So if your center admin put in your clock out time as 1745 instead of 1775, you just lost 3/10s of an hour or 18 minutes. On the other hand, if they put in your lunch as 0030 instead of 0050, you just gained 12 minutes.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Is there a legitmate reason why ups uses a "point system" to calculate your pay? If I work 19 hours and 35 min why not pay me that? Why do they have to turn it into a decimal and make it difficult? It seems like they do it just to save a buck here and there?

"Legitmate" reason? If an employee makes $10 an hour and works 3 hours 41 minutes, how do you calculate his pay? No matter which method you choose, there's going to be a conversion to calculate out the ratio; the method UPS uses is fairly standard for hourly pay calculation.

The only non-standard thing UPS does is rounding. If I work 20 hours, 43 minutes, and UPS rounds to two decimal points, I should be paid for 20.72 hours; I've noticed more-and-more that I'm paid for 20.71 hours. This may seem like splitting hairs, but that type of rounding multiplied across hundreds of thousands PT employees each week will quickly add up.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
we still punch in with time cards here. i feel like a time traveler

In Orange County, seriously?

I thought UPS transitioned all PTers' time clock systems over to the intranet (e.g. you punch in & out on a computer). This was suppose to be an integral piece toward transitioning toward the new PeopleSoft product, that will probably phase out paper paycheck (and stubs) in the near future.

ocnewguy

In Orange County, seriously?

I thought UPS transitioned all PTers' time clock systems over to the intranet (e.g. you punch in & out on a computer). This was suppose to be an integral piece toward transitioning toward the new PeopleSoft product, that will probably phase out paper paycheck (and stubs) in the near future.

Oh yeah. Our building is old as hell....it shows too. Rollers and t-stands on a lot of the unload doors. Crappy, broken rollers all over the load side. Our ID cards are laminated pieces of paper with our name and info HANDWRITTEN on it. Paper time cards. High tech :happy-very:

Oh yeah. Our building is old as hell....it shows too. Rollers and t-stands on a lot of the unload doors. Crappy, broken rollers all over the load side. Our ID cards are laminated pieces of paper with our name and info HANDWRITTEN on it. Paper time cards. High tech :happy-very:
Sounds like my hub CAANA.

menotyou

bella amicizia
So, the only difference from my building to yours is we have a computer? lol! We have rollers and t-stands, too.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

And to think I always chuckle because I look like I'm 12 on my ID card, which says it expires in 2004.

But wow, I'm stunned. I work in what most consider to be the armpit of America... the 24 active unload doors (30 total) each has an extendo, and they recently added two more that stretch 42' feet, so every day (sans peak) we have a pair of idle extendos!! Our building is not new, either. And they even replaced the ancient computers (10+ years old) with brand new ones this week, including the NEC Pentium III machines we clock in & out on (I'm no techie, but even I know that's old).

How many unload doors do you have? I have family in Fullerton, and always thought the local UPS building was there.

pretzel_man

Always find it amazing that the company can go to extremes sometimes on stealing time.

JUst look at taking breaks and lunch(s)

Break 12:00:59 records 12:00
12:09:01 records 12:10

A 10 min break gets 8:02 but

Break 12:00:01 records 12:00
12:09:59 records 12:10

A 10 min break gets 9:58.

It all works outs in the wash unless you trying to game the system.

That's a new one on me....

You are saying that the systems round down at the start of break and up at the end of break?

If that is accurate, you have a great lawsuit on your hands. Go for it.....

BrownArmy

That's a new one on me....

It's the same thing as scanning an NDA at 10:30:20...pkg doesn't show up late*

Scan an NDA at 10:30:30+, you're SOL...

*I don't know when the actual cutoff is during the 10:30 minute...20 seconds past is as far as I've had the misfortune to go, but it wasn't late...

BrownArmy

interesting. I thought it was late after 1029am.

My definition of late NDA is when the DIAD asks me why the package was late.

Like I said, there was a time when I scanned a pkg at 10:30+, and it stop-completed without asking me why I had late air.

I've also experienced a pkg scanned at 10:30+ that showed up as late (the honest answer is X:other).

You do the math.