Paying For Health Benefits

How will you vote if you have to pay for healthcare?

• Total voters

over9five

Staff member
By now we have all heard that UPS is insisting we pay a portion of our health care.
Right now, they're asking for $90/week, AND this would increase 10% each year of the contract.
How will you vote?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The only thing I think we will have to vote on is to strike if this keeps heading this way.

Theres no way I would vote yes for a contract that we pay for healthcare.

Ed O'Ryan

ups made like, what 5 billion last year. All while paying for our health care and during "this economy". In no way should we have to start paying for health benefits. Just because over 90% of americans pay for at least a part of their health care insurance doesn't mean we should give in on this. Over 90% of americans don't work for a company that made 5 billion last year.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I would need to see the entire contract proposal. Paying a portion of the premiums is not a deal breaker for me.

over9five

Staff member
Jones said it best.
I disagree. With the company making billions in profit, there is no need for any concessions. I can't believe it when I hear people such as yourself caving in so early in the campaign.
That's a huge slippery slope to start giving away our benefits for no reason. I could understand it if the company was in some sort of trouble, but that is so far from the truth it's laughable.

There is no need to lose (or give away) ANYTHING in this contract.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I disagree. With the company making billions in profit, there is no need for any concessions. I can't believe it when I hear people such as yourself caving in so early in the campaign.
That's a huge slippery slope to start giving away our benefits for no reason. I could understand it if the company was in some sort of trouble, but that is so far from the truth it's laughable.

There is no need to lose (or give away) ANYTHING in this contract.

Your greed is amazing. :wink2:

Asskicker

Really? His greed? Not UPS's greed? You give them an inch and they will take a mile. If we concede to paying some of our healthcare that will snowball and they will ask for more and more every contract after this. Don't cave. The Union should really see this as a campaign to save themselves. The whole country is watching and this would be a big boost to Unions if they come through for us this time. UPS has not lost money, and they can't use that as an excuse like these public service Unions who are taking concessions because they either can't manage their budget, or are stealing from it like most politicians these days.

Asskicker

Glad you can "Jest" about your contract. I've seen many and know how it works. I'm not amused. This contract will impact a lot of people's lives and is hugely important. I'll make a note of your name and not take your comments serious. I'm just trying to help people who really don't know yet.....Newbies to the company. They might take your comments to heart.

Healthcare is one of the main draws for employment to UPS....if they don't provide free health care, they are going to lose a lot of people. If it was $90 a month with no union dues, that might work but $90 a week plus dues plus 401k plus getting hit up for United Way? Where does it stop?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Glad you can "Jest" about your contract. I've seen many and know how it works. I'm not amused. This contract will impact a lot of people's lives and is hugely important. I'll make a note of your name and not take your comments serious. I'm just trying to help people who really don't know yet.....Newbies to the company. They might take your comments to heart.

No problem Asslicker ... we can now treat each other the same.

According to the Blumberg Report and The Wall Street Chronical. UPS last year made and has what they call free floating money in profits. 5 billion to be exact. This last quarter the S%P 500 is up 11% aacording to wall street, that is strong. UPS last quarter saw its stock rise to 16%. We should not pay anything into our medical. it should stay the same! This contract is bad for partimers and bad for any driver.
Partimers will start at $10.00 an hr. By 2017 the minimum wage will be $10.00 an hr....hummmmmm. Drivers going through the first 4 yrs of driving will not be able to file 9.5 greivence. I wonder if they will make to retirement? Well if they get hurt within those 4 yrs UPS can just hire someone els. VOTE NO ON THE CONTRACT!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The days of free medical care are quickly coming to an end. Those of you switching to a company plan will have to adjust and become smarter medical consumers. Look for participating providers when possible. Ask yourself if the ER visit is necessary or if you can wait until the next day and go to your regular doctor. If you wear glasses find an optometrist who will take your insurance as payment in full----do the same with your dentist. The days of medical carte blanche are over.