PCM about pokemon GO

Nimnim

The Nim
Just another crap game/app, whatever to keep your kids from actually doing something constructive. Wonder why so many kids are misdiagnosed with ADD? Pretty much all the doctors can think of and sometimes a poor excuse for not doing things with your kids.

All the kids I know that sit around most of the day, staring into an ipad, ipod, game console used as babysitters all pretty much have the same attention span or just get overly bored with things because it's become their safe haven.

My kids get very limited exposure to these devices and we go outside, have conversations in the car, they actually look outside and observe the world around them.

Little on a tangent I know but this Pokemon game is pretty freaking stupid.

Ever sit in a waiting room or just be out and about and watch the majority of people and families more involved in texting and social media than their own kids.

Pretty freaking pathetic.

I suppose you missed the part about the reason they call it go? The game actually penalizes you for not going out to different places and moving around. Your post clearly shows you haven't even taken the time to see how the game works. I'd really like you to give me a couple reasons why you think this particular game is bad for kids and adults from your perspective.

I can. I saw several groups of "young adults" playing this game yesterday. I guess the rules require that you stand very close to one another and wander aimlessly to and fro with your face glued to your smartphone.

There was one particular group of 4 young men and a young lady, who appeared to be truly embarrassed to be with them. They happened to be standing next to a stop sign when I pulled up. I leaned out and asked them if they were playing Pokemon. They seemed surprised that this "old guy" knew about the game and meekly responded "yes". I then turned to the young lady and said, "You must be so proud", before driving away.

7.5 million downloads in less than a week.

I'm not going to say games like this are the best thing ever or are guaranteed to fix problems people have with socializing, but I've seen groups of people actively going out and socializing, despite having their heads buried in the phone much of the time. Is it perfect, far from it, but it is in the right direction. This game is having people actually go out and visit places they might never have before and possibly interact with others based on a similar interest.

This weekend there's an event planned for a gathering because of this game in my downtown area at a park where over a thousand people have clicked the little thing saying they plan to go. If even half of them show up I can't fathom the idea that they won't socialize and possibly make new friends.

Then there's also the part where many of the locations that are destinations in the game are memorials, art fixtures, historic markers and the like. Show up because of a game, but the game does have delays in what you can do so you're still at the location waiting to do something in the game again so it's hard to imagine they won't look around and observe the location or communicate with others around them for a few minutes here and there.

I play Ingress which is where most of the locations for Pokémon Go come from and before playing that I never knew there was a park filled with war memorials just a few miles from me. I spent time reading all the plaques and learning something from it. Can't say everyone who visits locations like this because of Pokémon will do similar, but I'm sure some will and that's a good thing.

I will agree that there will be far too many people who play this who are oblivious to the world around them and either become a nuisance or get themselves or someone else hurt because of it. I don't believe that is because of the game, more that far too many people just don't know there's more things to life than a screen in front of them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I can. I saw several groups of "young adults" playing this game yesterday. I guess the rules require that you stand very close to one another and wander aimlessly to and fro with your face glued to your smartphone.

There was one particular group of 4 young men and a young lady, who appeared to be truly embarrassed to be with them. They happened to be standing next to a stop sign when I pulled up. I leaned out and asked them if they were playing Pokemon. They seemed surprised that this "old guy" knew about the game and meekly responded "yes". I then turned to the young lady and said, "You must be so proud", before driving away.

7.5 million downloads in less than a week.
So you saw a group of people outside their house playing a game on a smart phone? How is this any different than any other app game on a phone? Interjecting your comments to the young lady was nessesary? I'm still confused on how these people playing a game at one of the pokestops or gyms that the game requires you to go to interact with others is bad?

oldngray

nowhere special
So you saw a group of people outside their house playing a game on a smart phone? How is this any different than any other app game on a phone? Interjecting your comments to the young lady was nessesary? I'm still confused on how these people playing a game at one of the pokestops or gyms that the game requires you to go to interact with others is bad?

Kids could be out playing kick the can in the street. Similar exercise and being unaware of their surroundings.

I have no interest in pokemon but I have no problem with kids playing that game .... if they don't get so distracted they are a danger to themselves and others.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'd be curious to those that hate on this on Facebook could take a step back and see the irony. I'm not on Facebook and don't follow sports, but I don't sit around and slam them for, what I feel, a total waste of time. For one, it's what they enjoy, have at it. Secondly, it won't change what they are going to do.

Mr.nobody

The people who crap on this game probably came from the same blood line as people who crapped on the calculator when it was first invented saying it's going to make people stupid.

rod

Retired 22 years
The people who crap on this game probably came from the same blood line as people who crapped on the calculator when it was first invented saying it's going to make people stupid.

It did. Have you received change for a 20 back lately? Without the amount showing up on a screen these kids are totally helpless. (even with a screen telling them how much to dole out a lot of them still struggle). I've heard Walmart cash registers actually show a picture of how many pennies ,nickels, dimes and quarters the clerk should give out.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It did. Have you received change for a 20 back lately? Without the amount showing up on a screen these kids are totally helpless. (even with a screen telling them how much to dole out a lot of them still struggle). I've heard Walmart cash registers actually show a picture of how many pennies ,nickels, dimes and quarters the clerk should give out.
Don't let the total be $5.77 and you give them $6.02. It will blow their minds. Lol.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Don't let the total be $5.77 and you give them $6.02. It will blow their minds. Lol.
I'm sure there's many who are just inherently clueless but I know I for example have never really had a mathematical mind. I can write out just about anything but don't expect much to just click in my head.

542thruNthru

Then they give you the 2 back, and then give you the 23 cents in change, and think you are the idiot.

That's probably why they look so confused. They think it's because the clerk is bad at math. When the clerk is more confused why someone would give them 2 cents

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
image.jpg
There,,,, CLINT HAS SPOKEN !!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I had my first encounter with this on my route today. I was pulled over to the side of the road and walking off a stop. A SUV pulls over and parks across the street. A young woman with two small kids gets out and wanders around the street not paying attention to traffic while all of them had their noses into their phones. Now I have another problem I have to watch out for. Little kids running out in front of cars chasing a ball or something was one thing, now I have to watch out for adults too.