Peak 2013 Begins !!

Just wondering if anyone has been told, as we have in Great Lakes that there will be "No loads Rolled". Instead we will have "Volume Management". Which means if a load arrives "late" to a hub, they don't have to run it. This is of course to keep the "On-Time Network" on time. Strange then that we just got an email from I.E informing us of an increase in our planned volume and stops for tomorrow due to Rolled Volume in Toledo. My my.....

elo

Trying to figure out where they hid the body.
We have held 2 50% loads this week. Idk why preload finished early both days....

Ok.....I am not the brightest person but I have risen to my level for some reason............Got an email from IE about dispatch this coming week. It gave us New volume and stop levels. It said these will Not be reflected in PKG. But we are to have DPS plans that reflect the changes in Vol and Stops and to change FSP's by the percentage of the Stops increase............WTF?? That means some centers should increase FSP's by 5-10 more than they actually have on roll. IE should dumped some of their programs and get out an old fashion #2 pencil and calculator.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ok.....I am not the brightest person but I have risen to my level for some reason............Got an email from IE about dispatch this coming week. It gave us New volume and stop levels. It said these will Not be reflected in PKG. But we are to have DPS plans that reflect the changes in Vol and Stops and to change FSP's by the percentage of the Stops increase............WTF?? That means some centers should increase FSP's by 5-10 more than they actually have on roll. IE should dumped some of their programs and get out an old fashion #2 pencil and calculator.
That's why they keep you around.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Was told yesterday at pcm they have 190 trailers sitting and no means of transportation for them. That's how backed up they are. And throw in the winter storm half the country got hit by and bamm u got one sh tty situation all across the board. Wouldn't be surprised if we have 4 more weeks of getting hammered like dogs.

4 more weeks oh well shiznitt happens I guess lol.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I thought peak had been extended until May in the new contract.

I guess UPS is going with that even though the new contact has not been approved.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
:biting:To any management out there, retired or otherwise. This includes anyone on the BOD that might be reading this.

I only have posted a couple of times on here previously, and I am "just an hourly" so bear with me please. I am very afraid that UPS is going to top it's peak record they achieved last year. This is not meant as a compliment. Sadly, just the opposite. Since, I'm retiring early this next year, I guess a lot of people would think, "why should I care"? Well, as a stock holder and soon to be pensioner I very much do care! I will admit I am very glad this is my last peak season and TG for that. By this time next year, it will all be a bad dream.

We all know the big white elephant in the room is numbers that DO NOT WORK. It seems UPS will do anything to try to make these numbers work, including outright fraud and manipulation. My center manager has all but admitted this when cornered. Yesterday was a new low. Instead of having enough personnel to make sure the heavy extra work gets covered, about 6000 pieces for our building alone did not make service yesterday. By that I mean service failure. These packages drivers were instructed to bring back as we all ran out of DOT hours before the end of the work week on Friday. They were not scanned as missed, or scanned at all, as instructed. So what does the customer see who might have scanned these packages yesterday to find out delivery status? Of course they would see "out for delivery"then of course, nothing shows up. These 6000 will all carry over into next week. We all know what happens then. The famous UPS domino effect which will just keep snowballing into an avalanche. When will the attitude here change? Folks, this needs to happen from the top down. This is one example where Reagen's trickle down theory would work. IE needs to get lost and common scense needs to step in. The BOD and other top brass need to get off their ivory tower and bring back a once great American Company. I am very well aware that stock price is at an all time high, but really how long can this go on? As my brother who is a business executive has told me, "there is no way that this is a LONG TERM successful business plan." This concerns everybody, long termers and new hires alike. Will somebody in any position of authority have the courage to address this concern? We are all anonymous here! Stop with the "we only thought it would be 20,000 pieces and it was 25,000 packages in our hub today" or whatever! Nobody is buying that BS anymore, so let's get real! Let's get some more wheels on the road and people to handle peak or we just do not deserve to be around as a business anymore. Thank You for your time. Happy Holidays to all.

Yankfan

To my exceptionally untrained eye all of the above comments, as well as my own observations, are completely indicative of the incredible lack of knowledge and leadership from the levels at which the decisions are made. Let the operators operate. It was obvious early in the peak planning process (or lack of) when UPS projected volume increases that were less than half of the guidance that Fedex offered. You should be worried TBH, as we all should.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Let's get some more wheels on the road and people to handle peak or we just do not deserve to be around as a business anymore. Thank You for your time. Happy Holidays to all.

In the case of our hub, it's more of the fact that the facility is not designed to handle the amount of packages it is receiving and processing at max capacity; there are design flaws here that go beyond "hire more people, more wheels on the road".

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In the case of our hub, it's more of the fact that the facility is not designed to handle the amount of packages it is receiving and processing at max capacity; there are design flaws here that go beyond "hire more people, more wheels on the road".
The UPS hub in Doraville, GA named Doraville may be the "worst" designed facility I have seen in the hundreds I have visited in the US.
The problem was that the tract of land was too small on which to put this size facility.
Everyone knew this during design and build but quickly forgot about it once the hub opened.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The UPS hub in Doraville, GA named Doraville may be the "worst" designed facility I have seen in the hundreds I have visited in the US.
The problem was that the tract of land was too small on which to put this size facility.
Everyone knew this during design and build but quickly forgot about it once the hub opened.
Yes, that might be an issue. ;)

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
There used to be thousands of folks with a feeling of ownership that would work tirelessly to resolve these issues. Now upper management owns the issues. Hope they get it figured out.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.

With the increase of 53' trailers, most hubs/centers are screwed. Our lot looks huge, but throw a few hundred long trailers on it and it gets crazy fast.