Peak, 2014, A Disaster We Can Predict With Certainty

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm hearing reports of stations down 40-50 people (or more), with huge turnover, terrible service, and not enough RTDs to get the cans from the ramp to the station. Here, let's all do the calculation:

Late planes that can't hold all the freight +not enough handlers or RTDs + not enough couriers + incompetent management +nobody cares + even more freight at Peak = An effing disaster come Peak.

All the while, Memphis will be talking their usual BS, promising customers the moon when they can't even get the freight to the destination stations. much less have it there on-time. All of the lies are going to come back right in their faces this year, and there's nothing they can do to stop it. Even if they were able to fully staff the operation, the new breed of employee is incompetent, doesn't really care anyway, and will quit as soon as they discover what a farce this company really is.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people than Matt, Dave, and Fred. All the Kool-Aid, hot dogs, and BBQ in the world cannot stop this train wreck.

Check back with me on 1-1=15. You'll still be delivering Xmas P1.

Dex01

Banned
Check back with me on 1-1=15. You'll still be delivering Xmas P1.

For once, you may not be speaking hyperbolically. I bumped into an acquaintance who still works for FedEx the other day, and she said that they have been having trouble filling open positions. My home town is not exactly a Mecca of employment, and once upon a time people jumped at the chance to work for the company. Is it the new health care coverage that is deterring people from seeking employment at FedEx?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For once, you may not be speaking hyperbolically. I bumped into an acquaintance who still works for FedEx the other day, and she said that they have been having trouble filling open positions. My home town is not exactly a Mecca of employment, and once upon a time people jumped at the chance to work for the company. Is it the new health care coverage that is deterring people from seeking employment at FedEx?

I seldom speak hyperbolically about FedEx. Sometimes it's parody, sometimes it's anecdotal, and often, it's straight from the source. Whatever you think of me, this is company on life support right now. If you combine all of the factors I have described, the only result can be a complete meltdown that makes last year look like nothing in comparison.

FedEx has made all of the wrong decisions, and all of the PR and Wall Street BJs in the world aren't going to be able to cover the stench. Word is getting out that this is a nowhere company...one to be avoided, not sought out, which is a complete reversal of what it used to be.

Even those who get sucked-in by the slick marketing are gone once they discover they'll never reach top wage, that there is essentially zero retirement, and that our "benefits" suck.

Peak, 2014...it's going to be an abortion.

gixxer squid

Its not rocket science. Have the loaders come in an hour earlier than there 3 am (my station at least) to get trucks loaded. Is it that difficult a concept to conceive? If your not getting your work done and drivers have a full day, then……..come earlier.

Sorry but 9 am dispatch a joke. Belts should be done and off at 7;59 am If the driver doesn't leave till later, thats on the contractor/driver.

1 hour later depending on your area is anywhere from 8-16 stops depending on your geographic area

hypo hanna

Starting people earlier is a bandaid at best. There simply isn't enough people to do the job promised the customers and OT for the rest will only get you so far. They will quickly run into the DOT limits. Already a big problem are in my district, and from what I hear, in most districts in the country.
Even if they can find enough new hires, Its too late to get them through courier class and up to speed as effective drivers by peak.
Yes, it's going to be a rough one if the volume holds.

BTW, I heard a rumor that they are going to cut newdriver class down to three days. That will only make the situation worse.

CJinx

Its not rocket science. Have the loaders come in an hour earlier than there 3 am (my station at least) to get trucks loaded. Is it that difficult a concept to conceive? If your not getting your work done and drivers have a full day, then……..come earlier.
I know that in my station, we'd love to have the trailers unloaded and the belts clean by 8:00 AM. Unfortunately that sometimes just isn't possible when the final trailers arrive at 7:45 AM or later. Complaints to the hub and linehaul about late dispatches seem to fall on deaf ears as nothing (visible, anyway) seems to happen to remedy the issue. Nobody will come right out and say it but I think it is because ~9:00 AM dispatches are well within ISP agreement parameters.

!Retired!

It would help if they 'fix' DRA to be able to handle the amount of extra routes it creates. Every time it creates more than 2 extra routes in a loop, it crashes and reverts back to SRA.

It would also help if they got the planes to us on time. Extra volume due to peak? Noooooo, say it ain't so.

whenIgetthere

My terminal is pushing for 9am dispatch.

At my station, we don't even punch in till 0820, belt starts at 0830. We are usually out the building around 0930, which sucks for those with 1030 commit areas. We are a ways from the ramp, hence the late starts. BUT, more days than not, at least one of the CTV's is late.

gixxer squid

I know that in my station, we'd love to have the trailers unloaded and the belts clean by 8:00 AM. Unfortunately that sometimes just isn't possible when the final trailers arrive at 7:45 AM or later. Complaints to the hub and linehaul about late dispatches seem to fall on deaf ears as nothing (visible, anyway) seems to happen to remedy the issue. Nobody will come right out and say it but I think it is because ~9:00 AM dispatches are well within ISP agreement parameters.

Great info. I was wondering what the time limit was on dispatching us. I have unfortunately had to drive lately and running my ass to finish on time because I know what I don't get done that day is only going to be there the next. One of the routes brought about 30 large boxes back friday because business was 83. He now has that to deliver plus whats already on the truck. I fully understand not only from the benefit standpoint why we can't keep good drivers but the fact that there is not even a 5 or 10 minute break more less 1/2 hour for lunch burns even the best drivers out over time :(

Late line haul should not be our problem, it can go out the next day. Years ago management used to occasionally go out with drivers, now, a deaf ear is turned to what we at the end experience.

gixxer squid

Not even peak and this is what we are dealing with everyday. HD in terminal now and we can't even get a small p700 out without moving multiple trucks out of the way. Takes 2-3 other drivers to help this small truck to get out. 2-3 trucks need to be moved to get a P1000 or P1200 out. Add an extra 20 minutes to the day just to get trucks moved out of the way. Last week I had to have management come and move two trucks out of the way to park in my own spot. This is NOT my responsibility. HD in terminal to save Fred even more money and we aren't even at peak yet. Seems like we just can't get a break to do our jobs….

Management is understaffed and well aware of the problem and multiple daily complaints. Their solution…. Report to them who won't move their trucks for us to get out of terminal, LOL Yeah, great solution.

Last edited:

dezguy

All summer, at least 2 days out of the week we are delayed by late flights. Sort gets done an hour late and RTB 3 hours later to get everything else. I can't even begin to imagine how bad peak is going to be. Oh well, I'll take out my stop count and work the forced hour of OT daily but that's it. I'll feel bad for those who don't get their package but if the company doesn't want to plan ahead and get freight to us on time, I'm not killing myself so they can make an extra buck. Lord knows, we won't see anything extra.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
All summer, at least 2 days out of the week we are delayed by late flights. Sort gets done an hour late and RTB 3 hours later to get everything else. I can't even begin to imagine how bad peak is going to be. Oh well, I'll take out my stop count and work the forced hour of OT daily but that's it. I'll feel bad for those who don't get their package but if the company doesn't want to plan ahead and get freight to us on time, I'm not killing myself so they can make an extra buck. Lord knows, we won't see anything extra.

Wow! So you guys can't be forced to work more than an hour of OT a day? Nice! I deliver til I'm done, regardless of what time it is. The only thing that is going to save me this peak is HOS.

STFXG

Not even peak and this is what we are dealing with everyday. HD in terminal now and we can't even get a small p700 out without moving multiple trucks out of the way. Takes 2-3 other drivers to help this small truck to get out. 2-3 trucks need to be moved to get a P1000 or P1200 out. Add an extra 20 minutes to the day just to get trucks moved out of the way. Last week I had to have management come and move two trucks out of the way to park in my own spot. This is NOT my responsibility. HD in terminal to save Fred even more money and we aren't even at peak yet. Seems like we just can't get a break to do our jobs….

Management is understaffed and well aware of the problem and multiple daily complaints. Their solution…. Report to them who won't move their trucks for us to get out of terminal, LOL Yeah, great solution.
I had a similar problem (not that bad) but I started just leaving my truck right in the middle and telling them to park it. Everyone was pretty annoyed but it got fixed. That's a liability for a yard accident if you don't have enough room. Has contractor relations said much about it?

My problem was getting in at night.

dezguy

Wow! So you guys can't be forced to work more than an hour of OT a day? Nice! I deliver til I'm done, regardless of what time it is. The only thing that is going to save me this peak is HOS.

Yup, ft can only be forced an hour of ot per day. pt can't be forced any ot although most pters will soak up as much ot as they can get during peak because they know after peak, they'll be back down to 17.5 hours a week.

gixxer squid

I had a similar problem (not that bad) but I started just leaving my truck right in the middle and telling them to park it. Everyone was pretty annoyed but it got fixed. That's a liability for a yard accident if you don't have enough room. Has contractor relations said much about it?

My problem was getting in at night.

I left truck in middle once and was told next day to find management to move other contractors trucks that were in the way. Morning is main problem when all trucks trying to leave EXCEPT HD which is directly in front of us. Before they were crammed into our terminal we did NOT have a problem. One of our drivers already side swiped one of our own trucks trying to leave in morning causing damage that I had to drill and pop rivet a side panel by door back into place. HD loads there own trucks and OSHA requires 3 feet walk space from belt and HD trucks have two pallets behind them so basically their trucks extend forward more than a P1200 making getting out without moving there trucks darn near impossible. We are managing but obviously worried about peak coming in the near future although it feels like we are in peak now.

MoarTape

Are a lot of your guys jumping ship and heading to UPS? Most places have exhausted seniority lists for both package car and feeders and are turning to street hires.

bbsam

Staff member
Are a lot of your guys jumping ship and heading to UPS? Most places have exhausted seniority lists for both package car and feeders and are turning to street hires.

No. One contractor in the building had a driver leave for UPS. Surprised more haven't.