Peak Dispatching: Pathetic

How is this a stupid answer? He was honest----he feels that the metric is absurd and that drivers who sheet packages with the helper boards just to meet the metric should be disciplined. The helper board is just that---it is for the helper. I do disagree with disciplining the driver for working as directed.

It's really not that hard to teach your helper how to sheet residentials and it should not be a problem for the helper to have at least 30 stops in his board. Last Peak there were days when we had more stops in the helper board than in mine.

Holy cow Upstate.....................have you seen these friend*@&^ng retards they hire as helpers? they give them zero training and expect us to train them??!! They cant even walk to the right house and you expect them to learn the DIAD?? lack of planning by UPS. and its crack management team, isn't and shouldn't be our problem! According to them we are just a bunch of dumb overpaid drivers! Why would they want us to train them?

oldngray

nowhere special
And you can take the time to try to teach the helper the basics the first day or two then you get switched to a different helper and have to start over. I got really pissed when I had a good helper I had trained well and then get switched to a new brain dead/lazy POS.

Overpaid Union Thug

Is no one else experiencing the lousy scattered dispatching that we are in my center? Those of you on bid routes probably wouldn't notice so I guess I should be directing the question to the unassigned drivers.

Overpaid Union Thug

My route is so different, Im not sure if its the one I bid on!..........lol

Some of our bid routes that start on the outskirts of town and go out into the rural areas get pushed farther out during peak. I like to step in and run whatever peak routes get put in to cover those areas. But right now they aren't in or only in one day. Or half of a route in those areas and the rest in two or three different areas of town. And that's what drives me crazy for two reason. 1) using helpers 2) we have to volume to have more condensed routes.

Some of our bid routes that start on the outskirts of town and go out into the rural areas get pushed farther out during peak. I like to step in and run whatever peak routes get put in to cover those areas. But right now they aren't in or only in one day. Or half of a route in those areas and the rest in two or three different areas of town. And that's what drives me crazy for two reason. 1) using helpers 2) we have to volume to have more condensed routes.

I think UPS is doing everything to lose routes and become more of a transport company from point A to point B. and eliminate the drivers doing point C.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
They can put whatever the hell they want on me and however many stops they want cause you know what ITS ROCK A BYE BABY ON THE TREETOP every night on these fools if that's how they want to play the game. Stick it right up their you know what lol.

Overpaid Union Thug

I think UPS is doing everything to lose routes and become more of a transport company from point A to point B. and eliminate the drivers doing point C.

I think they have allowed themselves to be buried by an unsustainable amount of metrics. They can't see the forest because of the trees.

They can put whatever the hell they want on me and however many stops they want cause you know what ITS ROCK A BYE BABY ON THE TREETOP every night on these fools if that's how they want to play the game. Stick it right up their you know what lol.

Cant work at that pace forever. Not even the great JUMPMAN can last forever.trust me, when you get close to that 30 year mark, you will see overtime as your enemy!..............Word bro

Marne Vet

I was a runner once, and then over time my legs and knees started to go. I wish I would've learned that lesson years ago. Now we're getting dispatches that are peak numbers all year 'round. My trip used to run 130 stops max. I don't go out with less than 160 now, and still expected to make cut. This ***** is crazy. I'm glad I only have 11 years left till 30, because there's NO WAY I could do this job again starting now. Drivers are expendable, and the company doesn't care whether or not we make it to retirement. They save more money if a rookie has to come in and replace a veteran driver, and who cares if the rookie blows out his knees or back before he hits top rate? Replace him too. I've seen 3 guys with less than 6 years all go out with major back injuries in my center. Two came back, one probably won't. This kid had to have his spine fused, and he's only been a ft driver for 5 years. Peak dispatching pathetic??? How about ALL dispatching is pathetic. I just hope I can run my trip tomorrow because they keep moving me to cover crap regardless of how many grievances I file. No one gets trained. /rant over

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
It is hard to convince them of that. They are young and invincible, one day they will learn.

Not young just turned 41 homeboy I go at my own pace where i feel comfortable at mentally and physically. Not going to hit that 30 year mark, 13 in 14 left. 55 im out the door don't care how many years I got in.

upschuck

Not young just turned 41 homeboy I go at my own pace where i feel comfortable at mentally and physically. Not going to hit that 30 year mark, 13 in 14 left. 55 im out the door don't care how many years I got in.

I wish you all the best to you, but have seen it many a times. I was a runner for a while, disregarded what the older, wiser drivers said, thought they were just trying to slow me down to make themselves look better, then aches start taking longer to recuperate, knees not feeling right, still in good shape, just not what it used to be.

They say after 30(I think), your body does not heal itself as fast as it is degenerating, and this job does not help at the best.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I never run, I just don't sweat how or what they put on there. Ill stay out all night I don't have any kids. The way I figure your week is already blown anyways mon through fri. You don't have time to have a life during the week. I figure ill just stuff that 401k fatty and pay off my house early so im home free financially. Mind over matter in anything you do in life dogg.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
How is this a stupid answer? He was honest----he feels that the metric is absurd and that drivers who sheet packages with the helper boards just to meet the metric should be disciplined. The helper board is just that---it is for the helper. I do disagree with disciplining the driver for working as directed.

It's really not that hard to teach your helper how to sheet residentials and it should not be a problem for the helper to have at least 30 stops in his board. Last Peak there were days when we had more stops in the helper board than in mine.
If management instructs a driver to use a helper board then they should be disciplined too. It's just outright falsification and a waste of time.