Peak Dispatching: Pathetic

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
While you certainly should have one or the other it is not necessary to have both.

An option week is a week of vacation that can be taken as single days. You can also sell your option week back to the company.
Can no longer break up the option week into single days. You can take it as pay and work through it if you choose that option during vacation picks.
Two regular weeks of vacation can be taken as single vacation days.

gingerkat

In my case it is not limited because I would have to put 50% of my income into the 401k to hit the limit, the limit for pre and post tax contributions is around 50k or something. I will end up contributing almost 35k to my 401k this year.

I save roughly 45% of my income each year.

All about retiring in 3 years at the age of 54.

Going to be great
So you are planning on drawing your funds from the post-tax at 54? Did you start your post-tax 401k in 1986? Even though these funds are not taxable at time of taking out, you do have requirements on them. Like a percentage that you take, will have to be taken with a taxable amount. The only way to get post-tax 401k $'s free and clear is grandfathered accounts, and that would anything prior to 1/1/1987.

I hope you're HR person knows exactly what they are doing with your money. By putting your pre-tax and post-tax 401k in the hands of just an HR person is not really smart. Most companies don't even allow these types of accounts, because they're so difficult to manage.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
So you are planning on drawing your funds from the post-tax at 54? Did you start your post-tax 401k in 1986? Even though these funds are not taxable at time of taking out, you do have requirements on them. Like a percentage that you take, will have to be taken with a taxable amount. The only way to get post-tax 401k $'s free and clear is grandfathered accounts, and that would anything prior to 1/1/1987.

I hope you're HR person knows exactly what they are doing with your money. By putting your pre-tax and post-tax 401k in the hands of just an HR person is not really smart. Most companies don't even allow these types of accounts, because they're so difficult to manage.

No plans on withdrawing at 54.

I will live off my rental income and money from my other business investments.

I started contributing to my first 401k in 1984.

HR has nothing to do with my plan, it is the Teamster 401k plan.

gingerkat

No plans on withdrawing at 54.

I will live off my rental income and money from my other business investments.

I started contributing to my first 401k in 1984.

HR has nothing to do with my plan, it is the Teamster 401k plan.
I understand that, but someone is managing those funds…

Be very careful and it's in your best interest to get a good financial adviser or accountant if you don't have one already.

Just out of curiosity, how did you find out about the post-tax 401(k)? It's such an unusual thing and like I said before most qualified plans don't allow them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I understand that, but someone is managing those funds…

Our 401k's are administered by Prudential.

Be very careful and it's in your best interest to get a good financial adviser or accountant if you don't have one already.

This is excellent advice. I use Edward Jones.

Just out of curiosity, how did you find out about the post-tax 401(k)? It's such an unusual thing and like I said before most qualified plans don't allow them.

We can contribute both pre- and post-tax money to our 401k's.

gingerkat

Thanks Dave.

Just be aware that anything post-tax after 1986 is not grandfathered and subjected to some kind of taxation. The government will have HIS share!

gingerkat

If you gain interest on your funds you will have to pay interest on those funds (I know, duh right?). When making a post tax withdrawal after 1986, you also must draw interest funds at the same time. That is where you will be taxed, so no double taxation.

This is why having a 401k post tax can be very complicated. It's also a big headache for companies to keep the allocation of post and pre tax 401k, straight and will often inspire an internal audit when a member smells something fishy. This is why many companies prefer to NEVER offer them.