Peak driver now my supervisor?!

thessalonian13

Driver hired off the street for peak season is now my supervisor. LOL Wow I don't know what to say. This left me speechless. He does not know my job and now he is going to tell me, a 22 year vet, what to do and how to do my job? Counting down the days till retirement!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Driver hired off the street for peak season is now my supervisor. LOL Wow I don't know what to say. This left me speechless. He does not know my job and now he is going to tell me, a 22 year vet, what to do and how to do my job? Counting down the days till retirement!!!

I'm sure within a year he/she will be up to speed.

He/she is just taking orders from some IE geek sitting in a cube in Atlanta anyway.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I doubt it Hoaxter. It takes much longer than that to learn our jobs. 1 year is nothing.

That depends on the individual.
I drove for about 1 1/2 years and I knew the methods very well within 6 months (got a copy of the 340 methods and studied them) and I started swinging (cover driver) on my 22nd day so I knew the entire center by 1 year.
I really don't think I learned that much after 8 or 9 months except customer peculiarities and the best lunch places.

beentheredonethat

You'll see a lot more of that. I don't see many (if any) FT full boat seniority drivers switching over to mgmt. The pay rate is similar, (maybe a bit higher for a supv) but he doesn't make more on OT. Also, the extra money he makes is lessened by the HW he already pays for. Not many companies where the supervisors make less (or virtually less) then the employees who work for them..

DS

Fenderbender
That depends on the individual.
I drove for about 1 1/2 years and I knew the methods very well within 6 months (got a copy of the 340 methods and studied them) and I started swinging (cover driver) on my 22nd day so I knew the entire center by 1 year.
I really don't think I learned that much after 8 or 9 months except customer peculiarities and the best lunch places.

I wish you'd told me this 21 1/2 years ago.I know maybe 40 methods,
I would die being a cover driver,I've wasted 23 years of my life at ups.
It's true the customers come and go,and the picnic table behind
the carpentry factory by the railroad tracks is nice in the summer,
I'm a loser.

UPSGUY72

There is one in my building in the other center. He was a casual for a couple of years hoping for a Ft drivers Position when that didn't happen the must of offered him a ORS position since no Driver with any brains would take it. I heard he isn't that bad. However like any other SUP these days he is only doing what he told to do and passing information on by someone in a cubicle in Atlanta.

stink219

You need to help him with understanding the grievance process.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Just goes to show you no one inside that knows what goes on wants to go management. Give me one good reason to go management now and I'll give you 10 reasons to stay hourly.

PT Car Washer

Just goes to show you no one inside that knows what goes on wants to go management. Give me one good reason to go management now and I'll give you 10 reasons to stay hourly.

This is an entry level management job and never ment to be a career, but will look good on a resume. Thank you next.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You'll see a lot more of that. I don't see many (if any) FT full boat seniority drivers switching over to mgmt. The pay rate is similar, (maybe a bit higher for a supv) but he doesn't make more on OT. Also, the extra money he makes is lessened by the HW he already pays for. Not many companies where the supervisors make less (or virtually less) then the employees who work for them..

Sports teams come to mind.

Anybody else think of others?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

A 22 year vet shouldn't need to be told how to do his job.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You may be surprised to hear this coming from me, but you might just consider giving the guy a chance.

My current sup was also a "one peak wonder" before being assigned to my center. Its been a little over a year now andn he is actually turning out to be a pretty good one. His lack of driving experience is offset by the fact that he is very tech savvy and has a good eye for detail, which is a lot more important in todays UPS than how many years he spent in the driver seat. He has turned into a pretty good problem solver. To his credit, he was honest and upfront about his lack of experience and has been willing to listen to and learn from his subordinates. If your sup is also willing to display the requisite degree of humility, he could turn out to be OK. Remember this....as the proud owner of a new rookie supervisor, you have both an opportunity and a responsibility to train that supervisor and mold him into the manager that he will someday become. Future generations of drivers will benefit from how you break this man in, and you have an obligation to them to break him in correctly.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
FWIW, learning any particular job really shouldn't take much more than 6 months. anything after that is learning the people involved

menotyou

bella amicizia
You may be surprised to hear this coming from me, but you might just consider giving the guy a chance.

My current sup was also a "one peak wonder" before being assigned to my center. Its been a little over a year now andn he is actually turning out to be a pretty good one. His lack of driving experience is offset by the fact that he is very tech savvy and has a good eye for detail, which is a lot more important in todays UPS than how many years he spent in the driver seat. He has turned into a pretty good problem solver. To his credit, he was honest and upfront about his lack of experience and has been willing to listen to and learn from his subordinates. If your sup is also willing to display the requisite degree of humility, he could turn out to be OK. Remember this....as the proud owner of a new rookie supervisor, you have both an opportunity and a responsibility to train that supervisor and mold him into the manager that he will someday become. Future generations of drivers will benefit from how you break this man in, and you have an obligation to them to break him in correctly.
Fresh meat. I love it.

I have been a UPSer for one year in a few days and have been a sup for 8 of the last 12 months. For someone that cannot survive on the minimal pay that hourly employees start at with No benefits for a year; a significant pay increase with benefits after 30 days of promo date it was the best route for me and I have no regrets.