Peak driver now my supervisor?!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm sure within a year he/she will be up to speed.

He/she is just taking orders from some IE geek sitting in a cube in Atlanta anyway.
I doubt it Hoaxter. It takes much longer than that to learn our jobs. 1 year is nothing.

If it takes you over a year to get the gist of what we do....well chances you didn't get to stick around after your 30 days.

Brownslave688

FWIW, learning any particular job really shouldn't take much more than 6 months. anything after that is learning the people involved

I wouldn't say any job but in general yes. That's why college is such a waste of money.

Do I want a dr with a one year apprenticeship no.

Would I rather hire a marketing major with a masters degree or one who has been the understudy to one of the best in the business for a year or two. Ill take real life experience any day.

Ms.PacMan

I wonder what the supes would make if driver wages were lower (as in non-union)?

Would they get a bigger piece of the pie or does anyone think their salary is only to stay competitive with driver wages?

beentheredonethat

I wouldn't say any job but in general yes. That's why college is such a waste of money.

Would I rather hire a marketing major with a masters degree or one who has been the understudy to one of the best in the business for a year or two. Ill take real life experience any day.

I agree real life experience is important. But how many of the "best of the business" will hire an understudy in marketing who does not have a degree? Not many, if any.

packageguy

Driver hired off the street for peak season is now my supervisor. LOL Wow I don't know what to say. This left me speechless. He does not know my job and now he is going to tell me, a 22 year vet, what to do and how to do my job? Counting down the days till retirement!!!

let me tell you what a driver told me when I got to UPS 19 years ago, these supervisors, managers will come and go, do the right thing, give them nothing to come after you.

Brownslave688

I agree real life experience is important. But how many of the "best of the business" will hire an understudy in marketing who does not have a degree? Not many, if any.

If there was no college program everyone would have an apprentice. That's the point. College isn't need for a majority of professions.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
You may be surprised to hear this coming from me, but you might just consider giving the guy a chance.

My current sup was also a "one peak wonder" before being assigned to my center. Its been a little over a year now andn he is actually turning out to be a pretty good one. His lack of driving experience is offset by the fact that he is very tech savvy and has a good eye for detail, which is a lot more important in todays UPS than how many years he spent in the driver seat. He has turned into a pretty good problem solver. To his credit, he was honest and upfront about his lack of experience and has been willing to listen to and learn from his subordinates. If your sup is also willing to display the requisite degree of humility, he could turn out to be OK. Remember this....as the proud owner of a new rookie supervisor, you have both an opportunity and a responsibility to train that supervisor and mold him into the manager that he will someday become. Future generations of drivers will benefit from how you break this man in, and you have an obligation to them to break him in correctly.

your saying operations has the ability to actually manage, to which i totally disagree. he is trying his best for now,, it will not get him ahead, he will soon fall into mediocrity , because thats his only option,.. hopefully he is sending out resumes so he finds a job that will give him a descent quality of life

Johney

That depends on the individual.
I drove for about 1 1/2 years and I knew the methods very well within 6 months (got a copy of the 340 methods and studied them) and I started swinging (cover driver) on my 22nd day so I knew the entire center by 1 year.
I really don't think I learned that much after 8 or 9 months except customer peculiarities and the best lunch places.
Hoax,
Just compare yourself to the knuckleheads that start nowadays. Big difference in the "ME" generation that is driving today. Management also. Today it's a point your finger at the other guy attitude compared to 20 years ago where it was one big happy family. At least that's what I see.

DS

Fenderbender
NEW IMPROVED!
Formed meat chunks
in sauce
may contain chicken,pork,beef,elk,or hamster.
anal leakage may occur

Island

I try to make it clear to newbie supes that their bosses will tell them that hourlies are the enemy, that it's us or them, and they needn't worry if they aren't evil. If the bosses say to get us fired, tell the bosses to do it themselves, because you're too busy running an operation. Some supes have taken heed to my words but others will never be able to stand up for themselves, and as evidence I can say that one supervisor I had for a long time threw me under a bus to save face over a petty issue, and the man had bought me a xmas gift just months previous. Some people are weak, it's a fact of life. And a lot of them work in management.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My new sup has and uses an iphone. I recently acquired one myself, and I find it to be an excellent tool for communicating and maintaining an increased level of accountability from my management team. If there is a problem or an issue or some other thing going on out on my route that requires action on the part of management, I will communicate it to my sup via text message, a record of which is stored in my phone. Compared to some of the old farts I have worked for over the last 26 years, my new sup is very good at following up on issues that I bring to his attention in this manner. He doesnt always tell me what I want to hear, but if he doesnt have the ability to solve a problem then at least he is honest and communicates that fact to me rather than blowing me off or conveniently "forgetting" that I warned him about it ahead of time. Once I text him about a problem, my ass is covered and its his problem now instead of mine.